• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

They were hosting it twice. South America time after US and Australia actually, although I'd hope for a Georgia and Romania bid.
There is hardly any country in South American which has the infrastructure and the financials to be able to organize such an event. Brazil being probably the only one since they hosted a football World Cup not too long ago.

There is hardly any country in South American which has the infrastructure and the financials to be able to organize such an event. Brazil being probably the only one since they hosted a football World Cup not too long ago.
How about Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Porto Allegre together? Might work out, at least when Argentina gets their budget sorted out finally.

Most impressive part of the game were how good both teams were in the scrums and at stealing the ball in the lines out.

All the rest was pretty garbage and the English Man in charge had probably one of the worst game of his career.

TMO was embarrassing, how did he manage to give South Africa a pass on the yellow card is mind blowing. I don't recall any team being so helped by the refs in all the crucial moments for the 3 final games of the tournament. South Africa was not the best team in any of those 3 games.

If they don't fix the rules and the ref interpretation the game is really in the hands of the officials not the players.

It could have been a great tournament, the draw and poor officiating spoiled it. Very disappointing as a neutral fan.

Now I will not be able to watch any game at a decent hour for the next 2 World Cup...

How about Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Porto Allegre together? Might work out, at least when Argentina gets their budget sorted out finally.
LOL, they should start to pay back some of their bonds which they haven't paid in 20 years or so...Argentina is so ****** up financially they will never host any major tournament (football rugby olympics) in our life time. Last time they hosted something big it was 1978... Yeah maybe a game or two as a symbolic thing but they would still need to build from scratch a new venue.

Italy/Spain/Portugal and Ireland/Wales/Scotland would be the best combined bids I guess for some new hosts. We can't keep going to England and France....

Frankly I don't understand all this euphoria from the South African side, they should be ashamed of having lifted a trophy that they did not deserve.
In the quarter-final they were tendentiously refereed by Ben O'keefe.
In the semi-final they were tendentiously refereed by Ben O'keefe.
In the final they were tendentiously refereed by Waynes Barnes.

In fact, no one should win this World Cup except South Africa. Rugby is dead.
Absolutely agree. This South African team is the most average team to have ever won a world cup.

True, that was also a very average team, however they won their QF (Fiji) & SF (Argy) games by decent amounts, so for the fact that they didn't need to have the referee in their corner, will say that the 2007 team were markedly more impressive than this collection of over-rated players.

I seen all the WC since 1987. In many aspects, this one was the worst. I can't congrat the winner.
Lots of things have to change if we want to keep the best sport alive.
There's a tiny bit of post in your resentment. You not enjoying the outcome and the WC being bad are two quite different things.

The World Cup was quite good. Saying it was the worst ever just exposes your anger. You lost, let it go.
Other than Arg vs NZ, which was a deplorable event, all the knockout games ranged from good to outstanding. Every single one of them.

Frankly I don't understand all this euphoria from the South African side, they should be ashamed of having lifted a trophy that they did not deserve.

Have some dignity.

Bryce Lawrence was the worst
Poite was just ****
Walsh was way more anti-English

Seriously Walsh is only ref where accusations of bias could actually be possibly attributed. (I maintain after retraining he was much better)

Such a tense game. Both sides going at it. Pieter Steph du Toit was a tank on defense. Incredible.
NZ lacked accuracy.

It was a final, so was not expecting flash, however there was lots of guts and determination.

There he is! I was wondering when you would show up to complain.

You don't understand the euphoria? Maybe that's because you never saw your team win it. They won the World Cup, and will be reigning champions for 8 years in a row. A feat only achieved by one other country. They are euphoric because at the end of the tournament, they are the ones who won it.

It doesn't matter how you win. Only that you do.

I rather win ugly games than lose beautiful ones.

Are you going to be this salty for the next 4 years? Because if you do, I might stick around to watch 😂

I want to point out a few things about South Africa winning, but not only winning this World Cup, but defending their crown from 2019.

In both World Cup's South Africa did not play rugby pleasing to the eye, but what they have done is build a group of players, who are immensely physically strong, and immensely mentally tough, and have incredible discipline.

South Africa in both World Cups, broke so many mental barriers, which only paved the way for their success. Losing once or a couple of times to teams, before each World Cup, and then beating them in the tournament. Playing the host nation each time, and beating them in front of their nation, each time. Winning close games on the way to the final. 3x 1point victories the last 3 knock-out games. Last two World Cup wins being away from home. They weren't without their share of problems. Controversies on and off the field, injuries to key players. But they kept at it. Pollard returned at the right time. And everything he kicked at this World Cup, went over. Sometimes things just work in your favour. The harder I work, the luckier I get, as golfer Gary Player used to say.

It really goes to show that if you put in the work, and you concentrate on achieving your goals, then no barrier is too strong.

I sincerely hope South Africa's achievements will be studied by sport psychologists and even by any person involved in sport or not, as it provides hope in the face of adversity. It provides hope to break mental barriers, it provides a way for discipline, work ethic and determination to succeed. South Africa's refusal to die down is an inspiration to any sports team and individual.

Projects take time. Rassie did not have a lot of time with his start to his Springbok coaching career preparing for the World Cup in Japan, and now he has two winning final medals.

The way South Africa play is not really good for the game, but them winning is a massive win for any person or team, who want to achieve great things.

Dawson really is a laughable dunce.

New Zealand 2015 are the best team to ever win the World Cup.

This South African team lost to Ireland in the group stage. And truth be told they were the worse team in the quarters, semis, and finals! Grit and determination saw them through and congratulations to them. Incredible stuff, but they are not the greatest team in World Cup history.

And I'm someone who can't stand the All Blacks and has a soft spot for South Africa.

I think the best teams are on similar levels at the moment. All have flaws. SA mentally are tough and dug deep each knockout match. It's impressive

Feels pretty good being the not best team, having the most difficult run ever, never giving up, and winning back to back. The saltiness is just copium. All been there.

Dawson really is a laughable dunce.

New Zealand 2015 are the best team to ever win the World Cup.

This South African team lost to Ireland in the group stage. And truth be told they were the worse team in the quarters, semis, and finals! Grit and determination saw them through and congratulations to them. Incredible stuff, but they are not the greatest team in World Cup history.

And I'm someone who can't stand the All Blacks and has a soft spot for South Africa.
Yeah, a bit of hyperbole to be sure. I wouldn't even necessarily say this has been the best SA side. Better Bok sides have fallen short or not been able to back up previous performances. But I suppose you have to ride your luck. Will say that this is a mentally tough side. I would back them to overcome what our 2011 side couldn't. Find a way. Keep the patience, the discipline, the BELIEF. The 2011 panicked and it is ultimately what got them.