• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: All Blacks - Argentina (09-10-2011, 20:30)

Argentina have never beaten the All Blacks and this Sunday will be no different.All Blacks by 20...

I would have said All Blacks all the way but with Carter out it's pretty obvious that the Pumas are going to win by 20 or so.

Argentina's record since last world cup

Played 32
Won 18
Lost 14
Win% 56.25

Includes 9-0 vs Uruguay and Chile

Excluding Uruguay and Chile

Played 23
Won 9
Lost 14
Win% 39.13

Have not played NZ or AUS in this period

Not really sure why we went 19 pages. I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement. Argentina needs the game of its life, and New Zealand a pretty bad one.

Anything can happen in these RWC as we've all already seen with Ireland vs Australia and Tonga vs France

Agreed. I can see a much higher chance for Argentina than the stats would suggest. Still, the All Blacks are heavy favourites.

I'm beginning to think that no-one in New Zealand remembers every other world cup where we've been over sure about fixtures we should win.

I've seen over the last 12 hours, four different articles on New Zealand televisions where they were discussing our chances of getting to the final and winning. All people asked said something along the lines of "this will definitely be our year". I'm beginning to think our fan over-confidence is going to kick us in the behind hard now we are in the knock-out stages.

The over confidence is one point of our 5% chances of winning, mean yours obviously... The fixture, well, you have AUS or SA in semis, if you beat us hehe. I think 2007 was better for you, france, england but well... you know.

[h=5]Guilford out... I'm waiting a nzealander with fresh news to confirm McCaw is playing or not...[/h]

Argentina's record since last world cup

Played 32
Won 18
Lost 14
Win% 56.25

Includes 9-0 vs Uruguay and Chile

Excluding Uruguay and Chile

Played 23
Won 9
Lost 14
Win% 39.13

Have not played NZ or AUS in this period

On this matter I'd like to say that Argentina has a history of playing in the World Cup at a much higher level than when they're not playing for a tournament (remember that the RWC is the ONLY official tournament the Pumas participate in)

I'd like to quote Coach Phelan on this matter (an interview released today)

-Do you think the team or the project have been mistreated by critics?
-If the team doesn't play well and the comentaries are not good, that's a part of all of this. But the fans should be more realistic regarding the conditions that the Argentinian Rugby has, about the few matches played and the little time to work. I always said that we would get to be a competitive team in the World Cup. You could say that an identity for this players is that everything is costly, but they always up the effort and overcome any situation.

Another question related to the match:

-What can you tell me about the All Blacks? What's your view on them?- We will face the best team in the world, with the added value of them playing at home. They are better now, and they will be better afterwards, but the game needs to be played. That's our bet. Bottom line, it's 80 minutes. The players know that if they give their maximum, they will make a good match.

Basically, it seems to me that the Argentinian players and fans know that it will be really hard, the chances are low, but it's not impossible.

Many New Zealand fans seem to think that it actually IS impossible. That mindset is pretty dangerous, and I hope it tranlates to the ABs players on the pitch come Sunday.

I think Argentina is going to be a supporting cast at the most in the four nations, at least for the first two years.

We might manage to get one win at home, and matches against Argentina wont be easy, but it's unlikely we get more than one win and two or three close defeats.

Everyone has had these kind of years in the tri-nations so I wouldn't be too concerned if Argentina didn't get a win in its first year or two.
The games in Argentina should be quite close affairs and I think you'll be rather competitive.
For this weekends game I wouldn't be surprised if NZ put 20+ points on you.
However I do feel that there's about a 10% chance you beat us and knock us out.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5747017/All-Blacks-wing-crisis-Kahui-Dagg-sidelined

now im starting to get worried....

Team:
Mils Muliaina, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Sonny Bill Williams, Colin Slade, Piri Weepu, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (capt), Jerome Kaino, Brad Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Owen Franks, Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Andrew Hore, Ben Franks, Ali Williams, Victor Vito, Jimmy Cowan, Aaron Cruden, Isaia Toeava

why is toeava not on the wing? honesty!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5747017/All-Blacks-wing-crisis-Kahui-Dagg-sidelined

now im starting to get worried....

Team:
Mils Muliaina, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Sonny Bill Williams, Colin Slade, Piri Weepu, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (capt), Jerome Kaino, Brad Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Owen Franks, Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Andrew Hore, Ben Franks, Ali Williams, Victor Vito, Jimmy Cowan, Aaron Cruden, Isaia Toeava

why is toeava not on the wing? honesty!

Reasonably happy with the team given Kahui, Dagg, and Guildford are unavailable. Importantly we have the first choice forward pack playing together. I'm happy to see Vito on the bench (rather than two locks). I would certainly have preferred to see Boric on the bench rather than Williams, but Williams actually played some reasonable rugby off the bench for the AB's this year (but has been pretty poor when he has started).

I'm very happy to see Weepu at 9 and Slade at 10, with Cowan and Cruden on the bench. It was the combination I suggested earlier in the week, but I didn't think it was going to happen (I expected Cowan to start). Weepu provides a quality goal-kicker, while Cruden offers something different off the bench if the game needs changed in the final 20-30 mins. The only (slight) issue is that out best goal-kicker (Weepu) won't be on the field in the crunch end of the game (as the coaches don't think their halfbacks can play more than 60 mins) - hopefully we have the game well and truly secured by then! Slightly surprised to see SBW starting on the wing ahead of Toeava - I think he will go fine versus Argentina though.

NZ to take this one. Even with Toeava on the bench, this backline looks divine. Good to see Weepu starting.

On this matter I'd like to say that Argentina has a history of playing in the World Cup at a much higher level than when they're not playing for a tournament (remember that the RWC is the ONLY official tournament the Pumas participate in)

I'd like to quote Coach Phelan on this matter (an interview released today)

-Do you think the team or the project have been mistreated by critics?
-If the team doesn't play well and the comentaries are not good, that's a part of all of this. But the fans should be more realistic regarding the conditions that the Argentinian Rugby has, about the few matches played and the little time to work. I always said that we would get to be a competitive team in the World Cup. You could say that an identity for this players is that everything is costly, but they always up the effort and overcome any situation.

Another question related to the match:

-What can you tell me about the All Blacks? What's your view on them?- We will face the best team in the world, with the added value of them playing at home. They are better now, and they will be better afterwards, but the game needs to be played. That's our bet. Bottom line, it's 80 minutes. The players know that if they give their maximum, they will make a good match.

Basically, it seems to me that the Argentinian players and fans know that it will be really hard, the chances are low, but it's not impossible.

Many New Zealand fans seem to think that it actually IS impossible. That mindset is pretty dangerous, and I hope it tranlates to the ABs players on the pitch come Sunday.

The funny thing is that Argentina don't actually have a history of performing above themselves at the World cup.
They have done it once, but that's hardly a history.

Kenya have reached a Semi Final in a Cricket World Cup. New Zealand have reached a Semi Final in a Basketball World Cup.
These are one off moments where they had a strong team that achieved above their potential.

This Argentinian side is hardly comparable to their 07 side,

The problem is that people are still bringing up previous World Cup's in to the equation and suggesting that, that's a reason we shouldn't go in over confident.
Previous World Cup's IMO mean that Argentina wont fly under the radar, they wont be underestimated, the AB's will treat them as a serious threat!!!
That is not good new's for Argentina.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that Argentina don't actually have a history of performing above themselves at a World cup.
They have done it once, but that's hardly a history.

Kenya have reached a Semi Final in a Cricket World Cup. New Zealand have reached a Semi Final in a Basketball World Cup.
These are one off moments where they had a strong team that achieved above their potential.

This Argentinian side is hardly comparable to their 07 side,

The problem is that people are still bringing up previous World Cup's in to the equation and suggesting that, that's a reason we shouldn't go in over confident.
Previous World Cup's IMO mean that Argentina wont fly under the radar, they wont be underestimated, the AB's will treat them as a serious threat!!!
That is not good new's for Argentina.

Argentina coming third place in the 2007 World Cup was not as freakish as saying Kenya reached the semi finals of the cricket World Cup in 2003

Los Pumas beat EVERY 6 Nations side between 2005-07 and that side was I think in the top 4 ranked sides at the time, it wasn't a freak it was deserved (unlike the runners up of the RWC 07 who Argentina would have beaten then)

arguably the Pumas have overachieved this World Cup compared to 2007, as they have been really poor the last couple of times I saw them play (Ireland 2010, Wales 2011) but they gave England a harder match than I expected and beat Scotland, they also played above themselves in 1999 when they beat Ireland so that's twice they've played above themselves at least

Why is $BW starting at wing over Kahui/Toeava?

kahui is injured but no idea why he is over Toeava

SBW had played like three part games on the wing.....maybe vito on the wing was planned!

Happy with the line-up considering the injuries.
Personally I'd have Hore over Mealamu but I could be bias as I'm from the Naki.
All in all it looks like the strongest team we could field however so that's good.
Should win comfortably but you never know in knock-out rugby.

Latest posts