• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 2 - Japan vs. Ireland (28/09/2019)

Definitely think the way to play Ireland is with a fast pace and slowing down their rucks. Seems to disrupt them the most when they can't control the tempo.

Definitely think the way to play Ireland is with a fast pace and slowing down their rucks. Seems to disrupt them the most when they can't control the tempo.
Easier said than done though. Most refereeing interpretations wouldn't have allowed what went on at rucks today, once Leitch came on and showed Japan they could do more or less anything that wasn't the most blatant of penalties the game really changed.

Japan still has to play Scotland remember.

That will be extremely close.

Japan in the quarters is still 50/50.

Yeah put it down to post match euphoria. But this result has blown the pool wide open and given Scotland a boost after their poor showing last week; that game should be a cracker, especially with Japan getting 8 days between their match v Samoa and Scotland. Would still expect Ireland to bounce back and score a hatful v Russia and get max 5 points. Still getting max points v Samoa will now become imperative.

Gonna have to watch the game again on catch up. Especially that second half.

If my calculations are correct and assuming everyone gets BP wins v Samoa and Russia, here are the following outcomes:

Japan win the group with any kind of win v Scotland with Ireland runners up
Japan finish second if they get a losing BP v Scotland
Scotland finish second if they beat Japan by > 7 points.

And lie in the way of Murray. And creep up offside. And hit rucks from all angles. Yes Japan did the lot but its not every day a ref will allow you act with such impunity.

I've never seen such a one sided performance from a referee in my life. He had one set of rules for one team and another set for the other. The offside line was irrelevant for Japan but magically came into existence when Japan had the ball.

Having said that Ireland have no chance in the World Cup. Capable of winning any game on their day but are shite at backing up week after week. Might have something to do with the way the players are managed at home because each world cup is the same. One big effort has to be followed by a three week rest or we're snookered.

So Ireland's problem is no longer getting off to slow starts and coming back from behind in the score.:p

Ya dancer! Brilliant for the host nation, the tournament and a nice fillup for Tier2 after a pretty horrible year. I thought Japan would succumb to nerves as Tamura was really struggling from the tee early on, but they kept focus and the god like Jamie Joseph completely shuts up a doubter like me up with his unorthodox preparations. It obviously made sense to him.

Tupou dropped and being replaced by Lemeki messed up my prediction a little as I preferred this starting lineup - Japan finished with my first choice back line and I hope they keep it. Humidity a significant factor for Ireland I think (combined with Japan's level of possession), although it didn't look that oppressive in the first half.

I said I wasn't convinced that Ireland were back after beating Scotland but I actually think they played pretty well here. Japan had an absolute snorter in every aspect of the game. A very complete performance from them. Maul defence, line speed, lineout defence, scrum, high ball, breakdown, running through phases etc.

Mafi's injury is massive and I still make them third choice to escape the group, partly because of that. But I'll worry about that later in the week.

For now I'll satisfy myself by picturing the reactionary suits who decided to happily show the Sunwolves the door in Super Rugby and fought for the 6N closed shop. A rich economy, 120 million people, full stadia and useful timezones. In the immortal words of Jim Bowen, "let's see what you could have won".

Latest posts