• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Japan vs. Scotland (13/10/2019)

So anyway... Team news released.

Scotland: Hogg; Seymour, Harris, Johnson, Graham, Russell, Laidlaw; Dell, Brown, Nel, Gilchrist, Gray, Bradbury, Ritchie, Thomson.

Replacements:
McInally, Reid, Fagerson, Cummings, Wilson, G Horne, P Horne, Kinghorn.

Interesting dropping their captain before a key match. Taylor seems to have lost his place permanently to Harris. Completely different back row to the Ireland game, though same one as against Samoa. Still don't think Scotland are consistent enough, especially in the forwards. This game is completely open. Honesty can't call it.

Brown is in better form than McInally at the moment and is probably more effective at slowing the ball down which will be important against Japan. Laidlaw has plenty of captaincy experience which will compensate for not having McInally. George Horne off the bench is more than capable of a late snipe which might also be crucial if the scoreline is tight. Looks like Maitland is injured hence Seymour's inclusion.

Just get the game on. For me there are other options available. Anything else will leave a bitter taste in the mouth. Will be one of the all-time great World cup matches if it takes place.

You would need to plan for a 2nd venue for every single game in that case and even then your 2nd choice may be still in the firing line for the bad weather anyways.
Isnt ther 1 unused indoor stadium in japan capable of hosting a game even without a crowd that they could keep prepped throughout the tournement just incase. Or keep both of the 2 indoor stadiums England played in available throughout, even with no crowd a game could be played. It doesnt seem that hard.

Isnt ther 1 unused indoor stadium in japan capable of hosting a game even without a crowd that they could keep prepped throughout the tournement just incase. Or keep both of the 2 indoor stadiums England played in available throughout, even with no crowd a game could be played. It doesnt seem that hard.
I feel that an international rugby game even played without fans would use up resources that could be used by japan in the middle of a natural disaster.

I feel that an international rugby game even played without fans would use up resources that could be used by japan in the middle of a natural disaster.

Agreed, the tournament should now be cancelled, and all players and supporters should go and put sandbags in doorways for the next two weeks.

There is no argument against this.

If Samoa beat Ireland, Ireland will be desperate for the Scotland game to go ahead. Wonder if Scotland would still want to play?

Japan: 15 William Tupou, 14 Kotaro Matsushima, 13 Timothy Lafaele, 12 Ryoto Nakamura, 11 Kenki Fukuoka, 10 Yu Tamura, 9 Yutaka Nagare, 8 Kazuki Himeno, 7 Pieter Labuschagne, 6 Michael Leitch (c), 5 James Moore, 4 Luke Thompson, 3 Jiwon Koo, 2 Shota Horie, 1 Keita Inagaki

Replacements: 16 Atsushi Sakate, 17 Isileli Nakajima, 18 Asaeli Ai Valu, 19 Uwe Helu, 20 Hendrik Tui, 21 Fumiaki Tanaka, 22 Rikiya Matsuda, 23 Ryohei Yamanaka

Tupou back in after his opening game mishaps? What did Yamanaka do wrong? Lemeki out of the 23 must surely be an injury? No Mafi (offset by Himeno's emergence) and I'm not convinced on Fukuoka's fitness having seen him get chased down by Earl's (Fukuoka is a bit overrated anyway, he is no Yamada). Still, I need to stop questioning Joseph and accept he is infinitely wiser than me.

Tamura has been consistent (tournament top scorer) but a little reserved. He is due a crazy game of great flat passes and cross-kicks or a nightmare from the tee.

Scotland's selection is a fair bit of strength in the pack but doesn't seem designed for chasing a BP, unless they think they can boss mauls (I dont think they can). Seymour hasn't seemed right all year and Harris is unproven at this level. Their last two games may not have been against high calibre opposition but they must have gone some way to erase the bitter taste of being hapless against Ireland.

Basically, not a massive fan of either selection but going for a suffocating:

Scotland by 19 (BP)

Japan by 7-10 for me. Looking good against Samoa and Russia sides you're expected to beat 9/10 times doesn't erase how poor Scotland were against Ireland.

Looking at the latest pictures from around the ground, this game is not going to happen. Surrounding area under water and the typhoon Is still on route.

Looking at the latest pictures from around the ground, this game is not going to happen. Surrounding area under water and the typhoon Is still on route.

Gregor said he was confident it would go ahead in his press conference yesterday and that's good enough for me.

Gregor said he was confident it would go ahead in his press conference yesterday and that's good enough for me.

And that was way before the Typhoon has hit. Gregor can't see into the future. If you have ever experienced the after mouth of a big hurricane you will know that everything is just shut - no electricity, places under water; it takes time to survey the damage and get things back up and running and getting players, staff to the stadium, even if this game is played behind closed doors. Who's going to clear up the mess left by the Typhoon so the pitch etc is going to be fit to play on? Staff getting to the stadium?

But yes of course if Gregor is confident then that is good enough for you.

Latest posts