• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool C] Round 2 - England vs. USA (26/09/2019)

It's really not as bad as Hodge (arms up, slightly lower, ball carrier dipping) but it's high and deserving of a red and a ban.
More like th first Samoan shoulda-been-red

It's really not as bad as Hodge (arms up, slightly lower, ball carrier dipping) but it's high and deserving of a red and a ban.
More like th first Samoan shoulda-been-red

Both of hodges arms were up. And both these tackles at comparable heights (players relative to each other).

Both of hodges arms were up. And both these tackles at comparable heights (players relative to each other).
I obviously need to see the Hodge one again then.

ETA, your right, arms were up for both - still think Hodge's contact was a touch higher though, not that there's a lot in it. Both still need bans

Last edited:
Even more worried now, what actually happened? Didn't see who went through on him. No replay so must have been bad.

Hope he's okay and makes full recovery.

I've looked at in slow motion (77:11 on the game clock) It's a bit of an odd one. Hooley is attempting to field a high ball and jumps and spills it. Wilson is committed to the tackle and hits him but there's no head contact (and he's not in the air). If anything Wilson has got his arm between Hooley's legs but it's not a drive / dump tackle either. All a bit odd. I reckon Hooley has whacked his head on the floor as he's been spun a bit by Wilson. He may also have caught a knee in the follow through. In terms of foul play / protocols there's nothing in it.

I too hope he makes a swift and full recovery.

Red all day long, how that can be the first of the WC really amazes me.

for those who think Faz got a taste of his own medicine, he doesn't usually put his shoulder into oppositions head to me this is what makes it far more dangerous, not that it's justifs Faz tackling at times, there is however a difference....

Sideline camera angle shows it best - arm clearly up and attempting to wrap.

Heads and shoulders both at pretty much the same height.
If we look at the IRB protocols for high tackles the issue of wrapping the arms is not the issue, first contact of the tacklers head/shoulders to the ball carriers head neck is the focal point at the moment of initial contact and the degree of danger involved. If cited I'll be very surprised if no action is taken. There is a degree of mitigation in that the ball carrier is in a downward motion from collecting the high ball so at most, if dealt with on the field, it would have been yellow.

So who do we think the starting 15 will be against Argentina? And who will be on the bench?

Red all day long, how that can be the first of the WC really amazes me.

for those who think Faz got a taste of his own medicine, he doesn't usually put his shoulder into oppositions head to me this is what makes it far more dangerous, not that it's justifs Faz tackling at times, there is however a difference....

Hate to be pedantic about Farrell but, if I can refer you to the last S Africa game with 82.55 on the clock, right shoulder clearly aimed high and with his own head turned away neglecting any duty of care in the tackle. Farrell is a world star and a very good player, unfortunately his tackle technique is seriously questionable and as he frequently goes for the big hit his luck wont last forever. Either he'll get a red or someone will take exception to his conduct in the tackle area itself and take the appropriate action. Farrell makes not secret of playing very close to the lines in terms of legitimacy in an attempt to physically dominate opponents.

If we look at the IRB protocols for high tackles the issue of wrapping the arms is not the issue, first contact of the tacklers head/shoulders to the ball carriers head neck is the focal point at the moment of initial contact and the degree of danger involved. If cited I'll be very surprised if no action is taken. There is a degree of mitigation in that the ball carrier is in a downward motion from collecting the high ball so at most, if dealt with on the field, it would have been yellow.

I'm not really concerned with what WR do re: protocols - they're fairly capricious. They'll do what they do.
I am concerned with the accuracy of discussion about the events though, because they're fairly technical.

Clearly wrap/no-wrap is important when judging recklessness.

Hate to be pedantic about Farrell but, if I can refer you to the last S Africa game with 82.55 on the clock, right shoulder clearly aimed high and with his own head turned away neglecting any duty of care in the tackle. Farrell is a world star and a very good player, unfortunately his tackle technique is seriously questionable and as he frequently goes for the big hit his luck wont last forever. Either he'll get a red or someone will take exception to his conduct in the tackle area itself and take the appropriate action. Farrell makes not secret of playing very close to the lines in terms of legitimacy in an attempt to physically dominate opponents.

So players should put their head closer to the contact.... right.....

If you actually watch the reply the American 7 throws his shoulder into Farrell's head. Completely different to Farrell who just tackles badly.

In doors all seem to be struggling with the handling.Things to work on.
Mainly the understanding that rugby is an outdoor sport.

I don't mind (well I do really) a roof protecting from bad elements, or to keep the Taffs' singing in. But there's a difference between that and the artificial environment impacting directly on the games. It does seem like the increased humidity and sweat is making a nonsense of some otherwise competent players' handling. Which is disappointing.....and downright scary with Daly at full back.

Latest posts