• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

Also like to add that when assessing the AB's ability to counter kicks the first two players are going to be Barrett and Richie, Richie has the skills and he will often be the one back taking kicks, so he can return the kick or setup an attack. He's also a good sweeper/cover defender.

The last thing in the world Hansen should (would) be doing is winding up his players onto a "war" footing, that is the mentality that stuffed up the Argentinian's by getting them so worked up they ended up with a red card.

As for the rest, the All Blacks have a bit of an advantage in that they know if they play well they can beat anyone.
My prediction is even more simple, if our loose forward trio play well we will win if not then we lose.

I don't think Lavanini was worked up looking to kill someone LOL. I think he was just a bit lazy on his technique, still think it was just a yellow any way.

When I say going to war, I do mean upping the intensity and gaining parity in the physical match up. I don't mean being lazy.
If anything they need to try to be even more attentive to these details.

If the referee is interpreting something in a way, then they need to adapt to the situation.

I know they have their plans in place but Fozzy has stated they need to play the game as it comes.

I think its better for the team to treat this game as it is, loser goes home. There is no 2nd chance for the loser.
I always find it fake when people claim its just another game.

Everybody knows this is the pinnacle of the sport, and what any player dreams of playing in.

These guys train their whole lives for games like this, and now they have to do the business.

Last edited:
I don't think Lavinini was worked up looking to kill someone LOL. I think he was just a bit lazy on his technique, still think it was just a yellow any way.

really? lavinini's tack record sows he's a grub. i dont think any of lavinini's cards was because "being lazy". he's just a dirty player out to deliberately hurt people.

How you you Irish fans feel about Nigel Owens?

Delighted its not a SH ref tbh. Always feel super rugby refs are slower to bring out the cards for persistent infringement.

We like to keep it simple when we get in the opponents 22 (ie up the jumper stuff) and the NZ'ers tend to everything they can (ie cheat) to hold their line. In the past they've gotten away with murder with the likes of Peyper in charge. At least Nige pulls out the cards for that ****.

Crotty will surely start, he has skill set to get us in to the game, Focus on the 1%ers, and defend well.
I don't think we need to be all out on attack. If we do the 1%ers right, we naturally have gifted ball players that can score points.

SBW will be great in the finishing role, whether we are ahead or behind. He's hard enough to contain when teams are fresh, with tired legs he will be a nightmare.
He is a great defender, and can stop blokes before the advantage line.

@mania I'm concerned from a psychological perspective if Ireland get too far ahead. Can these guys handle the pressure?
if Ireland get a big enough lead and close shop then i dont think ABs will be able to crack the green D line. ireland are awesome at strangling oppn out of the game. which is why ABs cant afford to let them have the lead.

I think the rain is good for us, increases the likelihood of the game being low-scoring and seeing a lot of kicking, which should suit us. Will make the game all but impossible for us to chase if we go behind and will mean we'll have to make very few errors but those two things were always going to be the case anyway.
i disagree. kiwi's play and learn our ball skills in the rain. whilst ABs will kick a lot it will be with an intention of getting it back and scoring tries. expect to see a lot ball movement through the hands when ABs have it
ABs have to score tries and force Ireland to do the same.

im worried about cards. unfortunately i believe that cards will decide who wins this WC.

Delighted its not a SH ref tbh. Always feel super rugby refs are slower to bring out the cards for persistent infringement.

We like to keep it simple when we get in the opponents 22 (ie up the jumper stuff) and the NZ'ers tend to everything they can (ie cheat) to hold their line. In the past they've gotten away with murder with the likes of Peyper in charge. At least Nige pulls out the cards for that ****.
its called gamesmanship.

I disagree with this. South African refs in my opinion are the quickest to bin for cynical and repeat infringements (at least in currie cup they are). Kiwi refs (Ben o'keefe in particular) are so adverse to giving cards they allow games to be ruined but kiwis can't ref this game. I remember hearing a few years ago that Nige has the fewest yellow cards of any pro14 ref. He's also very reluctant to go to cards and allow teams to commit professional fouls. He's so adverse to using his whistle that teams that like to infringe really benefit when he refs.

I disagree with this. South African refs in my opinion are the quickest to bin for cynical and repeat infringements (at least in currie cup they are). Kiwi refs (Ben o'keefe in particular) are so adverse to giving cards they allow games to be ruined but kiwis can't ref this game. I remember hearing a few years ago that Nige has the fewest yellow cards of any pro14 ref. He's also very reluctant to go to cards and allow teams to commit professional fouls. He's so adverse to using his whistle that teams that like to infringe really benefit when he refs.
Nige fought the law and Nige won!

Hi All,

i have 2 tickets category C for Japan vs south Africa QF and looking to swap for Ireland Quarter final if you know anybody that wants to sell a ticket or wants to swap. please let me know. thanks

no matter how good a player is under the high ball with a good kick and multiple chasers the defender is almost always at a disadvantage, McKenzie is a good example because he has excellent high ball skills yet he's been targeted by some very good kicks with great pressure, barrett and Bender as well we know how good they are but... good kick with good chasers is almost always advantage to the attacker.
Height and size can make a difference though, as you are less likely to be challenged and able to stay more stable in the air. I'd almost be tempted to start Jordie. Almost, but not quite.

Height and size can make a difference though, as you are less likely to be challenged and able to stay more stable in the air. I'd almost be tempted to start Jordie. Almost, but not quite.

yeah for sure. Jordies height is a definite bonus and he just may be the best player in the squad under the high ball if we consider the Bender isn't quite at his peak right now. I would have been very tempted as a selector to have him at 14 for that very reason. But Sevu really has not shown any weakness in that area while his acceleration is for sure a weapon on attack.
I think its healthy that very good players wont make the 23, only concern is going into a knockout game after 2 soft games and a couple of weeks off. It's not ideal.

Interesting, haven't picked on any of that on this thread from the Irish posters... might have to reread it to confirm. Just out of interest how would you guys list your order of preference of the available referees for the QF's?
It helps my sanity not to care about the refs.
Luke Fitzgerald is a clown, and I'd have hoped that as a society we'd have moved past writing an 'article' based off a few tweets as journalism.
i hope things about society sometimes too, I'm always disappointed. I advise giving up all hope

It helps my sanity not to care about the refs.
Funnily enough I'm the other way, I have to get my expectations in check before a game so I don't get a rude awakening by a ref's subjective interpretations during a game.

Latest posts