• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 3] Wales vs. France (20/10/2019)

@bushytop is entirely right if we were playing France I'd be laughing in their current abject state.

Of course there's there would be the other part of brain telling me this is France and they gotta France and I don't want to be too confident cause they could duck us and duck us good.

Too much to hope for a French victory ?
France have one really massive performance in them still. Hopefully this one will be it.

Just looking over the tables and just based on that Wales don't look as dominant as you would think.

Group d.PNG

One less bonus point than Aus (which was their game) actually scored same amount of points as Aus but conceded 1 more and scored 3 less tries. Obviously very raw statistics, but I found them interesting. For me anyway it feels that Aus are closer than some people say and that for me, while Wales are great at finding ways to win, it's not the winning of a confident and dominant team. Even winning the GS didn't feel like they blew everyone away and you could argue they scrapped a few close games they should have lost. However as I pointed out Wales have made a real habit of finding away to win close games or even games where they are second best, so I can't see them stopping against France.

Just looking over the tables and just based on that Wales don't look as dominant as you would think.

View attachment 7656

One less bonus point than Aus (which was their game) actually scored same amount of points as Aus but conceded 1 more and scored 3 less tries. Obviously very raw statistics, but I found them interesting. For me anyway it feels that Aus are closer than some people say and that for me, while Wales are great at finding ways to win, it's not the winning of a confident and dominant team. Even winning the GS didn't feel like they blew everyone away and you could argue they scrapped a few close games they should have lost. However as I pointed out Wales have made a real habit of finding away to win close games or even games where they are second best, so I can't see them stopping against France.
If we had lost the Oz game, in all likelihood we would've had the extra bonus point though and Oz wouldn't. Not arguing that we were dominant though, we struggled in two matches and made a meal of 3 halves of rugby within 2 matches that should've been routine.

This is the one QF I worry might be a bit of a damp squib, can't really see France challenging Wales to be honest, feel it might be a bit routine.

Hopefully that's tempted fate enough for France to pull their one WC miracle performance out the bag! Is Thierry Dusautoir in the squad?

I'm not trying to be contrary but this is the one QF that I think wont be a damp squib. I'm also around 70/30 in favour of Wales. But France have looked like world beaters for around 50-60-mins total this year. The ability really is there in this side.

The reason I'm not going stronger on them is that this edition of their pack is soft. Kefu of Tonga specifically said France were "a lot less physical than England". They've been crap in the past but always had a decent pack (which can still be a French Achilles heel).

Vakatawa has impressed me way more at 13 than he ever did on the wing, so Dupont, Ntamack, Fickou, Vakatawa is a creative spine that should give Penaud plenty of chances to get some more highlight moves onto his CV.

Wales are so consistent though that the inevitable French slumber after 30mins will be punished. If I was Wales I'd go full Gatlandball for the first 30mins, then get a bit more expansive as France start to blow our their collective backside.

Wales will win. I am sure of that. Just do not know by what margin. Out of this round of matches this is the one that i am most convinced about who will get through.

Not as good as a chance to make the final as 2011, but still pretty good, especially since Wales have beaten South Africa 5 of the last 6 times. Must be eyeing that first final for sure.

This QF doesn't really excite me that much. I think Wales should win very easily. France just don't seem to have a strategy or a definitive way of playing. It seems to me like their coaches are just picking 15 players every week and hoping that it all works out. They don't have a structure to their game at all. Wales haven't been spectacular but then you don't need to be. Don't see a hiding but I think Wales will win something like 27-15.

Not as good as a chance to make the final as 2011, but still pretty good, especially since Wales have beaten South Africa 5 of the last 6 times. Must be eyeing that first final for sure.
I'd go along with that... that final was there for the taking :mad:!

I want to see Raka running down Patchell's channel, and then get sin binned for dominating him in the contact

I want to see Raka running down Patchell's channel, and then get sin binned for dominating him in the contact
Well, Fijians are a bit of a kryptonite to us... I fear Vakatawa and Raka... but also that white Fijian, Penaud(a) I believe his name be ;).

I just cannot see the French as a world beating team this year.
I have the Welsh (my second team) as 80/20 and I hope they actually crush them

Last edited:
Main concern is keeping 15 on the field for the whole 80. If we can do that and keep discipline we should come through comfortably. All it takes is a silly tackle and a red card and the dream could be over, especially with all these high/shoulder/head tackles going to the TMO now.

Main concern is keeping 15 on the field for the whole 80. If we can do that and keep discipline we should come through comfortably. All it takes is a silly tackle and a red card and the dream could be over, especially with all these high/shoulder/head tackles going to the TMO now.
upload_2019-10-14_23-22-24.jpeg

The only way I can see France winning is if they come flying out the blocks and the pressure of being favourites becomes overwhelming for Wales the ghosts of 2011 start to creep in. As long as Wales keep to whatever Gatland has up his sleeve I can't see them losing. I do think South Africa (presuming they beat Japan) will be too much in the semi though

especially since Wales have beaten South Africa 5 of the last 6 times. Must be eyeing that first final for sure.

Slide1-4-e1463273103430.jpg

Latest posts