• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 4] Japan vs. South Africa (20/10/2019)

Good to have a Japanese poster on here, welcome!

Especially good to get a local perspective and its great too see the belief- it will only add to what I expect to be a fantastic challenge. Sunday must hurry up and get here!

EDIT: Japan line up named. Even less surprises than SA. Good to see Mafi on the bench. Missed him and Fukuoko during the warm up matches. Probably 2 of Japan's better players though I don't see them as having any weak players mind you.

15 Ryohei Yamanaka, 14 Kotaro Matsushima, 13 Timothy Lafaele, 12 Ryoto Nakamura, 11 Kenki Fukuoka, 10 Yu Tamura, 9 Yutaka Nagare, 8 Kazuki Himeno, 7 Lappies Labuschagne, 6 Michael Leitch (captain), 5 James Moore, 4 Luke Thompson, 3 Koo Ji-won, 2 Shota Horie, 1 Keita Inagaki

Substitutes: 16 Atsushi Sakate, 17 Isileli Nakajima, 18 Asaeli Ai Valu, 19 Wimpie van der Walt, 20 Amanaki Lelei Mafi, 21 Fumiaki Tanaka, 22 Rikiya Matsuda, 23 Lomano Lava Lemeki

Last edited:
Now the teams have been announced what would be a combined XV?

I think Japan are a good team but the Boks should have it by 12.

In particular I think the benches will be the difference.

Good to have a Japanese poster on here, welcome!

Especially good to get a local perspective and its great too see the belief- it will only add to what I expect to be a fantastic challenge. Sunday must hurry up and get here!

EDIT: Japan line up named. Even less surprises than SA. Good to see Mafi on the bench. Missed him and Fukuoko during the warm up matches. Probably 2 of Japan's better players though I don't see them as having any weak players mind you.

15 Ryohei Yamanaka, 14 Kotaro Matsushima, 13 Timothy Lafaele, 12 Ryoto Nakamura, 11 Kenki Fukuoka, 10 Yu Tamura, 9 Yutaka Nagare, 8 Kazuki Himeno, 7 Lappies Labuschagne, 6 Michael Leitch (captain), 5 James Moore, 4 Luke Thompson, 3 Koo Ji-won, 2 Shota Horie, 1 Keita Inagaki

Substitutes: 16 Atsushi Sakate, 17 Isileli Nakajima, 18 Asaeli Ai Valu, 19 Wimpie van der Walt, 20 Amanaki Lelei Mafi, 21 Fumiaki Tanaka, 22 Rikiya Matsuda, 23 Lomano Lava Lemeki

All those speedsters in the back-line.

Just to plug my own uploaded video... was in Cardiff 4 years ago (I was volunteering that year), Ireland had just played Canada in the Millennium Stadium. Piled into the Queens Vaults pub to watch Japan v SA and, well... we all know what happened next

SA will want to avenge this, can we see Japan make another insane push in this tourney? Really looking forward to it!

Just to plug my own uploaded video... was in Cardiff 4 years ago (I was volunteering that year), Ireland had just played Canada in the Millennium Stadium. Piled into the Queens Vaults pub to watch Japan v SA and, well... we all know what happened next

SA will want to avenge this, can we see Japan make another insane push in this tourney? Really looking forward to it!

Yeah, believe it or not we have seen footage of this non stop for 4 years, and there has been a movie made about it. It's the darkest day in our history, regardless of how everyone else feels about it.

I thought Reinach would perhaps jump ahead of Jantjies BUT Jantjies has shown he has the mental strength to turn it on in big matches although he's form (and passing) has not been great so far. I am surprised to see Lood starting ahead of Mostert. Mostert is a 80 minute player and hasn't really done anything wrong. I think they're both equally good though.
I'm not surprised to see no Nkosi, I was hoping to see him in for Mapimpi. When he is on the wing it is secure, no doubt about. Attacking wise: yes, defensively: yes, and in the air: especially yes. When Mapimpi is on the wing it's: Yes, sort of and no.

All other selections I agree with.

I think the way the Bok wings shot up leaves some real estate for Japan to exploit. They'll need to come out hot and try put the first score on if the want the Boks to deviate from their inevitable steamroller approach they'll be taking.

Last edited:
Yeah, believe it or not we have seen footage of this non stop for 4 years, and there has been a movie made about it. It's the darkest day in our history, regardless of how everyone else feels about it.
At least Ireland and Scotland will now take our place!

Edit: I wonder how those Irish fans in the video are doing 4 years on :D

At least Ireland and Scotland will now take our place!

Edit: I wonder how those Irish fans in the video are doing 4 years on :D

Karma has a real funny sense of Irony. Also love how it's downplayed now and all of a sudden it isn't an upset. Now Japan are a good side. They beat Wales in 2013 and nobody batted an eye...

Karma has a real funny sense of Irony. Also love how it's downplayed now and all of a sudden it isn't an upset. Now Japan are a good side. They beat Wales in 2013 and nobody batted an eye...

As I remember, pretty much our first team were all on Lions duty so it was just a bit... meh

As I remember, pretty much our first team were all on Lions duty so it was just a bit... meh

Yeah your 'Japan moment' was really Fiji in 07. Honestly though for us it really has been crap. Even the damn Heineken ad in this WC has that bloody game on the TV and everyone celebrating. Couldnt open anything on social media for weeks after that game. Nobody remembers that tournament as the one NZ won, only as the one where Japan beat SA. I swear if I ever see Heyneke Meyer I will punch him in the face.

Yeah your 'Japan moment' was really Fiji in 07. Honestly though for us it really has been crap. Even the damn Heineken ad in this WC has that bloody game on the TV and everyone celebrating. Couldnt open anything on social media for weeks after that game. Nobody remembers that tournament as the one NZ won, only as the one where Japan beat SA. I swear if I ever see Heyneke Meyer I will punch him in the face.

It's funny, because after that, it seemed like that was our worst game ever. Like all the other shockers we had prior to that game faded into darkness. Nobody seems to forget Kamp Staaldraad, the test Where Jannes Labuschagne got a red against England, The test we lost to Italy....

It's funny, because after that, it seemed like that was our worst game ever. Like all the other shockers we had prior to that game faded into darkness. Nobody seems to forget Kamp Staaldraad, the test Where Jannes Labuschagne got a red against England, The test we lost to Italy....

I luckily missed that Italy test. Thank goodness! But Coetzee was an absolute tool. His selections were mindbogglingly bad. Making Strauss captain was hilarious. I won't forget the 53-3 vs England either. That was never a red card though lol. Yellow sure but a red? No way! The one I will never forget is the 49-0 against AUS. I will never forget Jaco vdW claiming that knock on was a drop kick. ROFL.

It's an SA thing though, that when we crash, we explode at the same time. It's never a subtle disaster it's always a freaking atrocity!

Yeah your 'Japan moment' was really Fiji in 07. Honestly though for us it really has been crap. Even the damn Heineken ad in this WC has that bloody game on the TV and everyone celebrating. Couldn't open anything on social media for weeks after that game. Nobody remembers that tournament as the one NZ won, only as the one where Japan beat SA. I swear if I ever see Heyneke Meyer I will punch him in the face.

Or Western Samoa in 1991, then the whole of Samoa in 1999 (our hosted WC) but both times in Cardiff. I might have been young for the '91 game but I still remember it. Trust me, yours was nothing!

Or Western Samoa in 1991, then the whole of Samoa in 1999 (our hosted WC) but both times in Cardiff. I might have been young for the '91 game but I still remember it. Trust me, yours was nothing!

Welsh fans know pain that's for sure. If there has ever been a team that builds hope for 79 minutes only to bottle it at the death it's been Wales. Improved on that front in recent times but the amount of great escapes against Wales were never in short supply lol.

As painful as those matches were (& oh my gawd they hurt), those were a couple of great Samoa sides looking back. It's sad to see that sorry state that Samoan rugby is today.

Interesting piece on Nakajima - I always wondered where the surname came from. And he's only been playing prop for four months?!
https://tpplus.co.nz/sports/isileli-nakajima-the-tongan-powerhouse-in-japans-rugby-world-cup-team/

Nakajima is the surname of his wife.
Her name is Nakajima Rie.
See the two pictures below. his wife and son.
https://hochi.news/articles/20191005-OHT1T50380.html

Nakajima is now very popular not only because of his performance but also because of his cheerfullness.

Brave figure of Nakajima
https://i.imgur.com/5thIwdZ.jpg

Many Japanese people say that he resembles Matsumoto Hitoshi, one of Japanese famous comedians.
In this way there are lot of topics about him. Many people like him.

Nakajima played prop when he was a junior high school and high school student.:)

Latest posts