• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Semi-Final 2] Wales vs. South Africa (27/10/2019)

Really pulling for a Welsh win, but these injuries have hit them hard.
Never write them off though.
SA just look too strong in every department.

Really pulling for a Welsh win, but these injuries have hit them hard.
Never write them off though.
SA just look too strong in every department.

Realistically, this has gone 65-35 in SA's favour IMO and at this level that pretty much swings it in the Boks favour to win. For Wales to come through in such a massive match, they needed their spine fully in tact and firing on all cylinders:

Owens - check
AWJ - check
Nividi. - out
Davies - check
Biggar - check
Williams - out.

Also doubts about JD2 and knee injuries don't tend to clear in a week. Even if he is passed fit, he will most likely not be 100%. It's a World Cup semi, so if he is any where near fit I think Gatland will take the chance on him.

Hope I am wrong, but from my reading of rage situation Wales are the least likely of the four to go through to the final.

Last edited:
You do know that we have only conceded 1 try in the last 4 games right? 3 tries in the entire tournament, with only 2 against the All Blacks (In a 5minute period). How about the Rugby Championship? 1 try vs NZ, 2 vs Aus (Playing a with a 2nd team) and 1 vs Argentina. 2 games against Japan, 1 try conceded. They scored 3 against Scotland in 5 minutes.

Honestly I have no idea where some of you come up with some of this. We have arguably the best defense in the world at the moment.

We are also leading points and try scorers in this tournament, although NZ would have been had they played Italy. It's still impressive.

Yes, the Boks defence held firm against the might of Namibia, Italy, Japan and Canada. How could I forget? Seriously though, while its nobodies idea of a hard route to the final, you are definitely on an upward curve on both sides of the ball but I never draw conclusions from the Rugby Championship in a RWC year. I think your defence looks better because a few of the NH defences seem to have gone off the boil a bit and nobody else is really clicking with ball in hand.

From a SA perspective, are there any notable absences? (Kolbe aside)

At full strength I would back us way more but we are missing:
Liam Williams
Anscombe
Navidi
Faletau
Ellis Jenkins
Cory Hill

And still possibly:
JD2
George North (ankle ****le?)

Oh crap..... I've almost accepted defeat then realised after getting battered by the boks we have a 5 day turnaround to probably take another stuffing from England!

I'm back to being optimistic now as can't face that future:cool:

Yes, the Boks defence held firm against the might of Namibia, Italy, Japan and Canada. How could I forget? Seriously though, while its nobodies idea of a hard route to the final, you are definitely on an upward curve on both sides of the ball but I never draw conclusions from the Rugby Championship in a RWC year. I think your defence looks better because a few of the NH defences seem to have gone off the boil a bit and nobody else is really clicking with ball in hand.

Wow, ok dude. First you throw up sarcasm, when you know perfectly well we played Canada and Namibia with a complete second team, who use the same defensive system. Then you throw Japan in the same sentence, when the entire world couldn't stop raving about their pace and offload game, nevermind the fact that they beat both Ireland and Scotland to top their group, and scored a combined 5 tries in those games, and had the entire world support them... yet they couldn't score against us with almost 80% posession for 40minutes. Then you think playing a full strength NZ team in NZ means nothing because it's a WC year, so of course that doesn't count. Then you finish off by saying we are actually just looking better defensively because everyone else are not? REALLY poor reasoning.

The Springboks can only play what is in front of them, and in that light, defensively it's been near flawless, for the entire year...

Last edited:
From a SA perspective, are there any notable absences? (Kolbe aside)

At full strength I would back us way more but we are missing:
Liam Williams
Anscombe
Navidi
Faletau
Ellis Jenkins
Cory Hill

And still possibly:
JD2
George North (ankle ****le?)

Kolbe, Jesse Kriel and Trevor Nyakane are our only injury victims in this World Cup so far. Hope it stays that way.

But Rassie is resting the players very well and in the pool stages some guys only featured in 3 games and then not the full 80 minutes.

Just watched a clip of Rassie walking in the hotel and talking about his selection choices and that he has taken note of the public's opinion on guys like Willie and Faf.

makes me think there's a plan in place we haven't seen yet...

For all Wales' flaws, I don't think anyone doubts their mental strength or their spirit/unity etc. Williams is (yet another) huge loss, but I wouldn't be surprised if they really come out swinging here and play out of their skin. This is potentially Gatland's last (proper) game as well, they won't want to go out on a limp and disappointing performance, especially after last week.

That all said, looking through the likely Welsh lineup, it just doesn't seem like a team that you'd expect to see in a world cup final, especially if they don't have Davies. The Boks should have too much quality on the pitch for them at the end of the day, but I'd be shocked if Wales don't come out fighting and stick it to them all the way. Wouldn't expect this to have more than a few points in it either way at the final whistle.

Wow, ok dude. First you throw up sarcasm, when you know perfectly well we played Canada and Namibia with a complete second team, who use the same defensive system. Then you throw Japan in the same sentence, when the entire world couldn't stop raving about their pace and offload game, nevermind the fact that they beat both Ireland and Scotland to top their group, and scored a combined 5 tries in those games, and had the entire world support them... yet they couldn't score against us with almost 80% posession for 40minutes. Then you think playing a full strength NZ team in NZ means nothing because it's a WC year, so of course that doesn't count. Then you finish off by saying we are actually just looking better defensively because everyone else are not? REALLY poor reasoning.

The Springboks can only play what is in front of them, and in that light, defensively it's been near flawless, for the entire year...
Goose really lit a fire under you huh :)

I think I just need to see the Wales team line up to really judge.
Wonder if we will see the Lane Train featured in the squad? Bit silly flying him out otherwise!

Goose really lit a fire under you huh :)

haha indeed. Just doesn't seem like much of a well thought-out post/rebuttal quite honestly. It's like me saying the All Blacks attack is made to look good cause everyone else's is bad? lolwut?

Last edited:
Kolbe, Jesse Kriel and Trevor Nyakane are our only injury victims in this World Cup so far. Hope it stays that way.

But Rassie is resting the players very well and in the pool stages some guys only featured in 3 games and then not the full 80 minutes.

Just watched a clip of Rassie walking in the hotel and talking about his selection choices and that he has taken note of the public's opinion on guys like Willie and Faf.

makes me think there's a plan in place we haven't seen yet...
I reckon that's just Rassie being polite. Take note probably equates to asking Willie and Faf to be more accurate this time around.

Question for the Welsh fans, would any of you being on board with Patchell at 15? Definitely a more attacking choice than Halfpenny.
I mentioned that id rather patchell at 15 it aint ideal but we need to roll the dice now imo. going into this game with halfpenny does not sit well with me, leigh has always been confidence player and even at his best when he was no1 choice I felt we lacked , a half baked halfpenny just does not cut it, give patchell the 15 hes proven this WC that he can step in and do a job.

I mentioned that id rather patchell at 15 it aint ideal but we need to roll the dice now imo. going into this game with halfpenny does not sit well with me, leigh has always been confidence player and even at his best when he was no1 choice I felt we lacked , a half baked halfpenny just does not cut it, give patchell the 15 hes proven this WC that he can step in and do a job.
edit> but as percentages seem to be flavour of the day around here now id say its 80/20 in halfpennys favour to be picked as 15 or even 90/10 well whatever!

I think Wales will be going for drop goals like the Aus game, get to the right areas, take the points, front up physically in defence and take what they can. 1/2p will slot place kicks. And bigger and patchell proved they had DGs in them. With Wales' injuries Navidi, Williams they lose alot. So to win may have to change tactics.

As been mentioned the spine of this Welsh team is now disrupted by injuries. I guess we just try hang in there and take points whenever possible , the drop goal tactic could work well and we will have to play risky rugby and hope the 50/50s fall in our favour if all this comes together then we do have a chance as small as it looks..

Latest posts