• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

almost still in shock that England have managed to make this world cup final. Eddie and the boys have done brilliantly well during this tournament. I think we've managed to improve markedly with every game which is a testament to how well prepared we are. our performance against NZ was one of the best I've seen from an England team. it will need another massive effort this weekend because we are playing a quality Springbok side. let's be honest England's record against SA is pretty poor of late. I hope we win but I think it is too close to call. Just hope that Mr Garces isn't the centre of attention on Saturday night. even though you wouldn't think so after the respective semi-final performances if I was having a bet I would actually back South Africa. I just think they're set up to win the tight games.

I do think South Africa is better prepared for England's defense than New Zealand were. All blacks are really based off of timing and throwing into space without concern of what defense is doing. England was really able to disrupt that timing and even got an interception off of second pass.

South Africa plays what's in front of them more. A kick or a one off runner.

i still think England is too much to handle. They essentially play with six loose forwards and every player on their team can play first receiver and have multiple options. Ford and Farrell are real good at following the ball and splintering new attacks from offloads.

That was more about the result than the performance which was certainly belligerent.
Eh I was watching some of it earlier we were actually playing quite well. Maybe not as clinical as Saturday but it was a different time.

Right I'm going to correct this everytime someone says this now.

The past 4 years are 3-2 in England's favour.

2 defeats, away, at altitude too after electric starts. 3 good wins. Doing my nut in now.

I can well see South Africa giving it the old garryowen treatment and having a lot of success at the resultant scrum time, knock ons given up by Daley and potentially a half fit May. Without suggesting we run it from everywhere, the kick/chase battle isn't one that we want to get drawn into.

Against New Zealand I was actually most impressed by the variety of lines run by England, always with support for a pop pass and different angles. Gone was the "chuck it to Billy and see what he can do" tactic.

I'm also pleased that we've avoided Wales. Don't get me wrong, they've been minging all tournament - however they do have a "big game vs England let's go berserk" card that they can draw at any point.

Yeah yeah, we are just kak from start to finish. write us off.

Since the French started knocking off the All Blacks back in the 90s we all know you can never right off any team, especially in a final. And SA are obviously not Kak having thrashed us in the RC and a draw with the ABs. But they played Kak on Sunday and if they play like that in the final they will get done. I can't see many of their team making a World XV. Doesn't mean they can't win. I'm just not sure how they would go about doing it and what their game plan would be.

I definitely think England have the better side overall, make no mistake, but the way some people are speaking it's as if it's men against boys. Which I disagree with.

I do think that, which might be a bit unfair and short-sighted. I was just blown away by that England performance vs ABs and against us in the 1/4s. I've never seen an England side look so good. That said, they lost to Wales a few months ago with a very similar side. So they're not as good as the ABs in that they lack consistency and they lack the permanent killer instinct which all good AB sides have. I see the Boks weakness as more tactical rather than having significantly weaker players and the wrong tactics will end up looking like it was men against boys.

I'd like to hear what English fans think Eddie Jones will do tactically to win this one? What's pressure points is he going to press and how?

I'd like to hear what English fans think Eddie Jones will do tactically to win this one? What's pressure points is he going to press and how?
Hope SA play as badly as they did on Sunday would be plan A.

failing that I think EJ will want to keep us away from
an arm wrestle, which is what SA want. We have a significantly better kicking game and much better chasers across the field. SA look pretty poor at full back and as good as Kolbe is he's a short little guy who, like the great Jason Robinson before him, can be easily isolated with bombs.
To my eye most of the SA power comes from the forwards so shift it away from them and punch holes in the mildly weaker back line with Manu, creating legs and getting in behind the SA defence.

in defence it will be all about line speed for us. A big lad is only handy if he gets up a head of speed. Jump him before he's taken a step and all the size counts for little. If our line speed is as good as Saturday then we can actually push SA back in defence. Let them over compete at the ruck, suck in attacking options and isolate smaller player with Itoji, Curryhill etc. Wait did the kick to inevitably come from Faff and then counter.
Something like that

Garces is in the driving seat for the final. Apparently, according to history, he suites us better, but I don't think the ref really matters. The coaches know how each ref likes the game to go, and will be making sure their players are fully away of dos and Donts. It's just all part of game prep.

Last time these teams met Itoje was pretty much dominated by everyone and especially Faf who made a few huge hits and overpowered Itoje on the five meter line to score a try. I see some British reports nonchalantly stating that itoje will silence faf, "sling him to the ground and stem the attack" - BBC

Latest posts