• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

It's unlikely...you require 2 6N teams in your group and then only play them in knock outs.

Having checked I categorically say it's never happened.
Just wondering when it was a smaller Tournament at start .
Cheers for reply.

Cheers for reply.
I think I can categorically say no, Australia are the only team to beat Ireland and then win the competition, (teams love to blow their load hammering us in the quarter for some reason, pace yourselves lads, we'll lose!) and they played Tri nations sides in the semis both times.

Last edited:
If we do win do we get the Rugby Championship trophy as well, seeing as we'll have won that Grandslam over the course of the tournament :p

LOL moment that's helped a really dragging afternoon go a bit quicker.

My employer is not getting full value from me right now. My boss won't mind, his grandfather was a British Lion in the 1920s!

We'd also join Aus as the only multiple winners to have always won away from their own continent. One of SA's was at home and 2 of NZ's.
You don't need the "multiple" winners thing there. England are currently the only team to have won Bill just the once; ifwhen we win, every winner will have been a multiple winner

If we do win do we get the Rugby Championship trophy as well, seeing as we'll have won that Grandslam over the course of the tournament :p

POC is class and would give a better insight into what will likely be a forwards heavy contest.

Yeah, he's comfortably been ITVs best pundit

Just a side note on Final if England win as the France match was called off.
Will this be the First team to be crowned champions without beating someone from own domain.
As Englands route will have been.
Tonga
USA
Argentina.
Australia.
New Zealand.
South Africa?.

I think so, depending on the definition of 'own domain'.

NZ in 1987 - beat Argentina and Fiji in the group stages, then only European sides in the knockouts. This was long before the RC was a thing, so it kinda counts?

Similarly in 2007. South Africa didn't have to play Aus or NZ, in the middle of the tri nations years, but they did have to beat Argentina (and England twice).

In 1999 Australia's route was Romania-Ireland-USA-Wales-SA-France. So it's possible to only play NH teams, as they would have done if South Africa hadn't beaten England in the quarter.

the closer it gets the more confident i get that we will sneak it in the last 5min!!

Cheers for reply.
I too had some sort of inkling of it a) not taking as long and b) not having so many teams in it. You probably only had 8 "nations" who had any chance of winning it (back in the day)and only 5 have done so.

A certain symmetry for England if can win Lose to Aus then beat them.
Lose to SA then beat them.
Just wishes at present .

Just a side note on Final if England win as the France match was called off.
Will this be the First team to be crowned champions without beating someone from own domain.
As Englands route will have been.
Tonga
USA
Argentina.
Australia.
New Zealand.
South Africa?
Also will a winner from SH have beaten all 5 or 6 nations teams to do so.
I tried a quick google but failed to find all results from previous tournaments.
Love we had 2 warm ups then the rugby championship in increasing difficulty to win the WC.

I am quite relaxed and confident about tomorrow. Of course the nature of rugby is that you can always lose but I do not sense any complacency or overconfidence in our boys . We have won all our games VERY convincingly leaking very few tries . Of those that we conceded , one was in stoppage time ( USA) when Daly could have just booted it out. The one against BZ was a gift and the one against Australia was poor defence by Slade . Only the Argentina try can be classed as one that was unavoidable and truly the product of a great attack.
I can see both defences having a strong day and I can't see a game of free flowing rugby as the Bokks will try to keep it tight - but our pack is more mobile and if our flankers plus Itoje can get to the breakdown quicker then I expect that we should be able to feast on turnover possession and penalties. One possible weakness for us might be Daly at 15 and our wings being constantly peppered with kicks but so far they have been pretty solid under the high ball and I would be surprised if we dropped more than 1 or two . If the saffers kick poorly ( like against Wales ) and their chase is fragmented then we have got a back 3 that can exploit the gaps.
I am not too nervous but I am sure this will change come game time. England by 12

Before the cup started .I thought England couldn't win quarters semis then the final 3 very tough games.
After flip flopping all week I now believe England can and by more than 10

I think this highlights what utter nonsense they are, the team that comes second in RWC are going to be ranked as below the team that came 3rd. One of those team literally one week before just beat the team that will be 2nd pretty comprehensively.
Pretty comprehensively but in reality it was only 12 points which tbf is f all.

For all that dominance they only won by 12?

I think it was just a perception thing tbh, if you beat Uruguay in the same manner it would be a shocking performance, but against ABs who you were clear underdogs it's comprehensively winning lol.

A couple of errors either way and ABs would have won. It happens, game wasn't a dominant win by any means.

1 game should never be the be all an end all in rankings any way

World rankings and World cup are too seperate things.

Has anyone noticed the equation that England lost to Australia in 1991, and then 12 years later defeated Australia.Then in 2007 England lost to South Africa and then 12 years later it is now time for England to repeat history and defeat South Africa.

Yup 12 points was probably the bare minimum gap England should of won by. Get rid of the try we gifted you and it's a 19 point gap. Give us the two marginal disallowed trys now we are up to 34. Missed drop goal 37, missed penalty 40

And those are only the certain points we lost

Go back to under the bridge you guys got pasted last week and I wouldn't be bragging about about 12 point gap. When you should of lost by a lot more.

I hope it doesn't come down to a stupid blunder a la Don Fox, (RL), a refereeing mistake, a foot which is perhaps a few mm on the line. A red/yellow card for either team would be disastrous. George gifted NZ 7 points. Can't afford to offer up that. Same as the try the USA got against us. No stupid penalties. England win. I also expect a large fat pig to be flapping about outside my bedroom window at 7 am and asking if he could come in and watched the game.

I hope it doesn't come down to a stupid blunder a la Don Fox, (RL), a refereeing mistake, a foot which is perhaps a few mm on the line. A red/yellow card for either team would be disastrous. George gifted NZ 7 points. Can't afford to offer up that. Same as the try the USA got against us. No stupid penalties. England win. I also expect a large fat pig to be flapping about outside my bedroom window at 7 am and asking if he could come in and watched the game.
If you have a pig flying outside your window at 7am, I will recommend you lay off the drugs. :)

If you have a pig flying outside your window at 7am, I will recommend you lay off the drugs. :)

Never, I say, Sir, never. Large doses of caffeine, alcohol, nicotine and a few other minor substances have served me well over the years. I shall not betray them now when the hour of doom s at hand!

I was starting to worry about our chances because Wales Online's supercomputer, that had predicted England would lose the quarter final and the semi final, was predicting we would win the final. However, they then asked their human pundits and the majority picked South Africa to win it, so I'm feeling confident now. :p