• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

I was starting to worry about our chances because Wales Online's supercomputer, that had predicted England would lose the quarter final and the semi final, was predicting we would win the final. However, they then asked their human pundits and the majority picked South Africa to win it, so I'm feeling confident now. :p
I saw this. Andy Howell has predicted South Africa so basically it's England's. The man wouldn't know a rugby ball if it hit him in the face

I think what gets me about this England team, win or lose, is that I've never seen an England team go to the World Cup and just look so happy. They look like it's all a load of fun, like they're having the time of their lives. Even Itoje said 'if you wanna play good rugby, you've gotta have fun'. There seems to be no pressure on them, no worries, no concerns. It's great to see. Obviously I hope they win, but I'm just happy to see these young fellas not being crushed by the weight of expectation and smiling their way through games. :)

I think what gets me about this England team, win or lose, is that I've never seen an England team go to the World Cup and just look so happy. They look like it's all a load of fun, like they're having the time of their lives. Even Itoje said 'if you wanna play good rugby, you've gotta have fun'. There seems to be no pressure on them, no worries, no concerns. It's great to see. Obviously I hope they win, but I'm just happy to see these young fellas not being crushed by the weight of expectation and smiling their way through games. :)

Absolutely. Watching Rising Sons and it just appears to be a bunch of lads having the best time, doing what they love.

I was starting to worry about our chances because Wales Online's supercomputer, that had predicted England would lose the quarter final and the semi final, was predicting we would win the final. However, they then asked their human pundits and the majority picked South Africa to win it, so I'm feeling confident now. :p

Is there any reason why England or any other team in the Universe would be in the market for a Welsh Online supercomputer?

Absolutely. Watching Rising Sons and it just appears to be a bunch of lads having the best time, doing what they love.
I clicked on one of those videos out of boredom and actually didn't hate it, which I think says an awful lot of positive things about the England team. For the most part just seem like a great bunch of guys and wouldn't be able to begrudge them at all if they win tomorrow.

I genuinely thought he'd retired,
It's crazy he's still involved now - surely there's someone better? Even in his prime all he was was a ball of bulk and long distance drop goals.
If you think of the kick tennis era he epitomised everything about it.
To be fair he's presumably there more for versatility (covering more or less the entire backline on his own lets them have six forwards on the bench) and experience rather than anything he's bringing on the pitch. Having a guy around who's actually won it before could be invaluable.

Mental that he's only 32 as well, given that he started this equivalent game a full 12 years ago.

I just wish it would hurry up and get started, the anticipation is killing me
ghost.gif
upload_2019-11-1_21-45-58.gif:D

Very true. We can all see the impact that John Mitchell has made in defence but have they brought in a sports psychologist or similar because the mental fragilities we saw against Wales and Scotland in the 6N have all but gone. The players looked so calm and composed in the warm up and in the tunnel ahead of the Aus and ABs games.

Edit: I also think a huge turning point was sorting out the balance of the back row. Curry and Underhill have been a revelation. Wilson is also pretty darn handy and not a bad option coming off the bench.

Last edited:
All bravado and confidence aside, can I just say it's ******* mad we're playing in the world cup final in 10.5hrs.

Think about 4 years ago.
Think about how we declined over the Six Nations.
Think about the 5th place in the 6N last year.

Hell, South Africa can say the same - they've had some real lows this World Cup cycle.
No matter what happens in the game this is a crazy final and I'm buzzing it these two sides competing.

There are few things quite as satisfying as the self flagellation that follows an English sporting 'failure' that has been talked up to the point of being considered a near certainty by their idiotic press.

Carn South Africa.

All bravado and confidence aside, can I just say it's ******* mad we're playing in the world cup final in 10.5hrs.

Think about 4 years ago.
Think about how we declined over the Six Nations.
Think about the 5th place in the 6N last year.

Hell, South Africa can say the same - they've had some real lows this World Cup cycle.
No matter what happens in the game this is a crazy final.

What? Explain that one again to me. The best 2 teams are in the final.

Our press is idiotic but they're not saying victory tomorrow is a certainty. But dont let that affect your agenda.
The mistake is thinking the English sporting public hold the same opinion as the red tops.

We know the taste of failure all too well.

What? Explain that one again to me. The best 2 teams are in the final.
Sure, but coming in to this tournament?
Or roll it back a year?

I think it's the right final in terms of RWC games but go back to 2018 and ask anyone to predict a RWC final and I doubt you'd find (m)any predicting England vs RSA. Both teams have hit top form at exactly the right time and it's great to see considering how much they've floundered recently.
I definitely didn't expect to see England deservedly in the final and bookies favourites to win the whole thing - My wildest expectations were semi finals.

The mistake is thinking the English sporting public hold the same opinion as the red tops.

We know the taste of failure all too well.

Yes we do. And that's what makes me so nervous, I dont want to feel the sadness tomorrow :(:(.

Latest posts