• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

The mistake is thinking the English sporting public hold the same opinion as the red tops.

We know the taste of failure all too well.

For some reason this popped into my mind after reading this

If England win tomorrow is it possible to strip Clive Woodward of his knighthood and give it to Maro Itoje? Arise Sir Maro Itoje has a nice ring to it.

If England win tomorrow is it possible to strip Clive Woodward of his knighthood and give it to Maro Itoje? Arise Sir Maro Itoje has a nice ring to it.
Nah, give it Steve Diamond for giving 18yr old Tom Curry a go in the premiership.
The rest is, as they say: History.

(Just imagine he says Eddie instead of Fabio :D)

Weird to think I cobbled this together for Eddie's first international game in charge of England

Our press is idiotic but they're not saying victory tomorrow is a certainty. But dont let that affect your agenda.

Reading the English media today outside of Matt Dawson saying something stupid (nothing new there) I think it's been pretty respectful. Pot, Kettle, Black always comes to might when English media gets crap not exactly sure Wales Online or Fox Australia are any better.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

Eight hours and twenty four minutes to go.

I can't sleep and when I do I'll wake up just before kick off to chew my nails off.

No dodgy decisions or cheating. Best team wins.

Reading the English media today outside of Matt Dawson saying something stupid (nothing new there) I think it's been pretty respectful. Pot, Kettle, Black always comes to might when English media gets crap not exactly sure Wales Online or Fox Australia are any better.
I've given up complaining about the English press (although I despise what they do to young footballers), over the last year or so I've realised that the Irish equivalents aren't any better.

Yup 12 points was probably the bare minimum gap England should of won by. Get rid of the try we gifted you and it's a 19 point gap. Give us the two marginal disallowed trys now we are up to 34. Missed drop goal 37, missed penalty 40

And those are only the certain points we lost

Go back to under the bridge you guys got pasted last week and I wouldn't be bragging about about 12 point gap. When you should of lost by a lot more.

Gifted us a try?

That is a laugh

Even if those tries probably could have been given 2 tries doesn't equal 15points lol

Heaps of things didn't go our way either

Couple of penalty reversals for f all and a very blatant shoulder charge

England played great, we were pretty poor.

The absolute best you could do was pump us by 12 points. If we played well and you were poor we would put 40 on you.

Done it before, can't say the same about you.

1 game doesn't make a ranking any way.

However I don't think England will best this South African team. Not that they can't, but it's hard to play with that same energy two weeks in a row.

You played your final last week. Springboks will peak when it matters.

Will be a great effort if you swept the big 3
Hell of an effort.

ABs played sideways, Boks are more direct. Think it will be harder to stop.

I've given up complaining about the English press (although I despise what they do to young footballers), over the last year or so I've realised that the Irish equivalents aren't any better.

Ah The Sun gonna contradict my earlier comments maybe we do have 1 that is the lowest of the low.

I feel for some Rugby and sport writers in general in England, most front pages are scum but sport is ok, outside of The Sun even the sport writers are poor. Look at the Daily Mail terrible paper but Rugby side of it is pretty good.

In the Rugby press world outside of the great Stephan Jones and the odd ex pro it's been ok in the build up.

Ah The Sun gonna contradict my earlier comments maybe we do have 1 that is the lowest of the low.

I feel for some Rugby and sport writers in general in England, most front pages are scum but sport is ok, outside of The Sun even the sport writers are poor. Look at the Daily Mail terrible paper but Rugby side of it is pretty good.

In the Rugby press world outside of the great Stephan Jones and the odd ex pro it's been ok in the build up.
In fairness nothing will ever beat the Sun. Obviously England has their clowns like anywhere else but have a decent amount of reasonably good journalism around as well. Think the rugby coverage in the Guardian is really poor which is a pity because it's the only genuine UK newspaper (not tabloid) that isn't behind a paywall. I hate the way the English media deliberately overhype their teams just so they have an easy target to attack when even the slightest trouble crops up, but after watching Ireland's media pull the exact same trick with the rugby team over the last year or so I can see that it's no a solely English problem. (The level of vitriol regularly directed at often very young footballers is beyond the pail for me though and thankfully isn't something that's been replicated over here).

That said, the quality of rugby journalism in Ireland is pathetic. Gerry Thornley is the best writer but has turned into more or less an IRFU spokesman, would never criticise anything or anyone. The we have the indo and it's menagerie of terrible writers, there's something for everyone in there depending on which type of terrible journalism you're looking for, Francis gives you pure lazy nonsense, Ewan McKenna (technically not a rugby writer but he talks about now much he hates it so much that be deserves inclusion) shows the results of giving twitter trolls mainstream newspaper columns and Ruadhri O'Connor manages to say absolutely nothing in way too many words.

Last edited:
It's pretty ironic that some of the best rugby journalism in the UK comes from the Daily Heil.
Absolute rag of a paper but they've got some (a?) good rugby journo(s?) and great access to the national setup

Up, but the gym doesn't open for another 3 hours. I'll try getting back to sleep

Time for some games to kill the time. Was gonna work in the garden but it's belting down here.

Latest posts