• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF2] Ireland vs New Zealand (14/10/2023)

On the bright side...I managed to get X2 tickets for the final....so I might dump my semifinals and just go to Paris for the final...that's the only good thing about the Irish not being in the semi...

Absolutely deflated after last night. Right up until Barnes ended the thing, I still thought Ireland could do it. I honestly thought it was their destiny this time. I could complain about a couple of scrum penalties that baffled me, but overall we just weren't quite good enough on the day. It was slightly ironic that we passed up several chances to kick points after what Scotland did last week.

One of the worst things about world cups is you don't get to see teams at their best. Instead you see them at their most nervous
Couldn't disagree more. It's the pressure of knowing that the results have real consequences that makes knock out rugby special. There are plenty of other tournaments where you can see 'entertaining' rugby but this is to find the best in the world so the result becomes everything and a big part of that is doing the right things under the biggest pressure even if they're not 'spectacular'. People will remember last night far more than any number of open, consequence less 45-40 Rugby Championship games.

Kinda glad Ireland didn't lose by 3 or less so that the missed penalty doesn't haunt Sexton post retirement. Yes Ireland would've been within DG territory but NZ did a superb job of managing the scoreboard. As soon as Ireland closed down their lead NZ found a way to extend it again. Also think they did a good job of frustrating Sexton hence his uncharacteristic chip over the top which was surely a deviation from his playbook. BB's chip and gather was a thing of beauty. Think Joe Schmidt played a big part in the outcome given his role as opposition analyst.

I do feel for Ireland as it really felt like this was their time and NZ are only going to be a tougher nut to crack under Scott Robertson. No way should Farrell leave for England. It's be like Pep leaving Man City for Man Utd.

OK, Sexton and Earls are retiring, and a number of others will probably not feature in four years' time. But there is also some youth in this current squad. How good will Sheehan be with another four years of experience? Plenty of lads coming through from the successful Under 20 team as well. The future is bright. The future is green.

Kinda glad Ireland didn't lose by 3 or less so that the missed penalty doesn't haunt Sexton post retirement.
Not sure tbf. If he scores that kick then they do not have to do for a try. They can milk a penalty or go for a drop goal. It also conditions the defense.

Not sure tbf. If he scores that kick then they do not have to do for a try. They can milk a penalty or go for a drop goal. It also conditions the defense.

Fair but it's a case of we'll never know. As I said NZ did a good job of getting points on the board when needed. It may still haunt Sexton but it could've been worse. He's still had a wonderful career and should reflect on it with pride.

Ire were chasing the match from the start. I wonder if they actually lost it pre match, whether the emotional control was right. We saw Porter crying - did his mindset have any impact on his subsequent penalty count?

Then there was the 8 in response to the haka. When they originally did it it was a brilliant, moving, appropriate tribute, and no doubt motivating. But that was 7 years ago, so why repeat here unless in a slightly desperate attempt to say that we've beaten you before? It probably had little bearing but if anything may have just steeled the ABs. Either way, although Ire fought back hard, the game was effectively won in that first quarter. Might seem minor points but at this level they add up and matter.

Sexton played the whole game. Everyone was knackered but he really looked like he was walking in treacle. Would fresh legs and a fresh mind have helped? Did fatigue play any part in the missed penalty? Who knows but by the end he looked what he was, in rugby terms an old man. He's had a fabulous career but to an outsider looking in he's overly dominated the narrative in the build up. As brilliant as an individual can be, teams are often better once a dominant character moves on - the Steven Gerrard effect. Ireland has the structures in place and after a bit of a reset they'll be there or thereabouts again. The conclusions of the inevitable post tournament review will be interesting.

Ire didn't get it quite right on a day when the ABs largely did. Fine margins.
Ireland did the 8 as Axels anniversary is on Monday and it was on Paris he died. A nice tribute if you ask me.

.... your predictability argument would then fall flat on its face.
Whether Sexton nailed the penalty or a dropped goal doesn't change the fact that Ireland's attack was so predictable Stevie Wonder would have seen it!

Sexton was a traffic cop all night, shipping the ball on without making any attempt to run. Can't remember him doing anything to draw Cane or Frizell away from the defensive line.

What do you guys think about Peter O'Mahony being shut up after trash talking Sam Cane? To me, one of the few positives on Ireland loosing

If he'd landed the penalty, there's absolutely no way to say the ABs would not have marched down and scored 1 or 3 tries after the penalty: this is why the what-if crowd are so ridiculous in thinking that the scoreline would have remained static had Sexton nailed the penalty!!

What do you guys think about Peter O'Mahony being shut up after trash talking Sam Cane? To me, one of the few positives on Ireland loosing

I'm sure POM divides opinion. I imagine he's a great guy to have on your team and you'd rather be with him then against him but maybe he needs to learn from the likes of Kane and Kolisi on how to treat opponents with a bit of respect. I bet Sam Cane shook his hand and said well played and didn't rub his nose in it.

Last edited:
I think the same as people posting on forums. No point trash talking after single wins (or losses). Things come back around
Haha, trash-talking is harmless, and in Cane's case had a degree of truth to it but it was meant to rattle his cage anyway. This match was easily the best from Cane in the last 3 years. It was also pleasing to see him talking to the players after "consulting" with Barnes, something he failed to do in previous matches.

I can see Robinson making Scotty Barrett his captain.

If he'd landed the penalty, there's absolutely no way to say the ABs would not have marched down and scored 1 or 3 tries after the penalty: this is why the what-if crowd are so ridiculous in thinking that the scoreline would have remained static had Sexton nailed the penalty!!
So you don't see different degrees of likelihood in potential events...
Since we can't know we shouldn't say anything about anything.
wow.

I dunno mate. It was a golden generation team, but it had an unfortunately just over the hill Sexton at 10. Slot in a Sexton from 5 years ago, or even 2 years ago, and I think Ireland win that. He would have offered far more variation to the Irish attack, taking the ball moving, rather than static, loop plays etc. We saw little of that yesterday and that's in a large part because you had a 39y/o at 10.

This isn't meant as a dig at Sexton, he's done amazing to still be playing in such intense games at his age for the full 80. He's also.one of the best Irish players of all time, and in the top 5 (maybe 2) fly halves of all time in my book. But this was unfortunately a step too far for him, and it hindered those outside him imo.

Edit. I was supposed to go on and say that with the rude health of Irish rugby at provincial level, I don't think this is the end of the Irish 'golden generation'. You'll replace your good players. Maybe you won't find a better 10 than Sexton in his prime, but you'll find a better one than a 39y/o Sexton to better complement the rest of the side.
Hope so mate. I'm 32 so am certainly no veteran to seeing several sides come and go, but this just feels really low.

Irish team were playing like lions yesterday. And what did really surprise me: they were trying to win until the end, until the last second of the match (and were incredibly close to win even in the end), they didn't give up. I think they will recover quickly from this loss and next WC will be their