• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF3] England vs Fiji (15/10/2023)

Maybe he shouldn't have named himself after an 11th century castle but spelled it wrong if he didn't want people to remember the wrong word for his name

Only been there once - the castle that is, not Henry's house. Opening match of the 2005 Ashes tour with the Aussies playing a T20 against a PCA XI. Stunning little ground, Spitfire flying overhead, cold beers. Happy days.

But I may be digressing and Henry won't be getting picked regardless.

In terms of the Farrell v Arundell rumour.
It's Andy Goode, who does like to get attention so it's hard for me to say I can see it being true. I feel the press would've picked up on it by now given the level of leaks happening.

Reality is IMO, the Chile game was pretty meaningless from Borthwick's POV IMHO

In terms of the Farrell v Arundell rumour.
It's Andy Goode, who does like to get attention so it's hard for me to say I can see it being true. I feel the press would've picked up on it by now given the level of leaks happening.

Reality is IMO, the Chile game was pretty meaningless from Borthwick's POV IMHO

Like all these things, there's probably a kernel of truth - couple of handbags or verbals or something. Goode seems to be the sole source but other outlets show how things get blown up for a headline:

"England rocked by World Cup storm"

"Owen Farrell in MASSIVE bust up".

Being a headline writer has to be a great job. It's all a bit Drop The Dead Donkey for those who remember one of the greatest comedies of its time.

As for Arundell, who knows but I thought he'd have been a great bench option, possibly graduating to starter given our paucity of wings. Given he's mainly a FB, it must have been a bit galling to see what's happened with Smith.

If we had been in any other group we wouldn't be. It's only because we've had such an easy ride, and the Argentinians completely choked, while England managed to find a sudden surge of inspiration. We barely scrapped past Samoa, and were hardly convincing against Japan. Just being the quarters does not speak to serious hole English rugby finds itself in. In suspect, had we been in Scotlands group, we may well have finished one from bottom.
I agree with a lot of this, but I don't think we'd have lost to Tonga or Romania so actually we'd have achieved the exact same as Scotland did.

I agree with a lot of this, but I don't think we'd have lost to Tonga or Romania so actually we'd have achieved the exact same as Scotland did.
I love when people do group counterfactuals by swapping a team with the worst team in a group instead of the team they shared a pot with. England would have taken South Africa's spot so they'd probably be third with a chance at second.

Sorry, I meant if Scotland were there as well, and one of the other tier 2 teams wasn't. Essentially we'd have lost to Scotland, SA and Ireland.

Rebuilding so we could win the next World Cup instead of this one 😂 leave the politics aside friend.we're still in this World Cup 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Not political, friend, just practical. Yes we're still in this world cup, in fact I've been in France since the end of August and I've got tickets for both semi finals. I'll continue to cheer the boys on (however it ends).
The fact is that, for many reasons, England are in a bit of a mess right now and with no clear identity or game plan, the whole system needs an overhaul for longer term stability and success. If we get to the final again this year, then we'll see a repeat of 2007.

Not political, friend, just practical. Yes we're still in this world cup, in fact I've been in France since the end of August and I've got tickets for both semi finals. I'll continue to cheer the boys on (however it ends).
The fact is that, for many reasons, England are in a bit of a mess right now and with no clear identity or game plan, the whole system needs an overhaul for longer term stability and success. If we get to the final again this year, then we'll see a repeat of 2007.

Given our wing options I'm up for recalling Cueto, providing he's been working on his finishing.

What's your ideal version of success?

What's your ideal version of success?
My ideal version of success is us playing out of our skins and securing a series of glorious wins.

My realistic version is a convincing win vs. Fiji (where the performance matches the result), followed by a dogged effort in a creditable semi final defeat.

I don't expect to get beyond the SF so it has to be about progress. To me that is looking like a team and playing some decent rugby. That would give me hope that we're truly getting somewhere as opposed to just getting by.

My ideal version of success is us playing out of our skins and securing a series of glorious wins.

My realistic version is a convincing win vs. Fiji (where the performance matches the result), followed by a dogged effort in a creditable semi final defeat.

I don't expect to get beyond the SF so it has to be about progress. To me that is looking like a team and playing some decent rugby. That would give me hope that we're truly getting somewhere as opposed to just getting by

I don't expect to get beyond the SF so it has to be about progress. To me that is looking like a team and playing some decent rugby. That would give me hope that we're truly getting somewhere as opposed to just getting by.
i was more asking the question of success about the post about changes for England's future.what would that success look like?would it be based on World Cup success?six nations success?A stronger premiership etc and what do people think needs to happen?

I'm very jealous of France. Not so long ago they were in a similar position to where we are now. The way they've bounced back is incredibly impressive. If we could get somewhere close to that, I'd be happy.

In some respects, seeing them win the World Cup would be a great reward for a job fantastically well done. If they don't do it this time, they've got a young enough team plus another great crop coming through, which should make them contenders again in 2027.

Latest posts