• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 SF2] England vs South Africa (21/10/2023)

Wow. I really thought we lost that. England came in with the better game plan for this. Subs were the big turning points, Pollard, Fourie and RG plus the pressure on the scrum. Really proud of the character of the team to just not give up and keep pushing.

Really is looking decent for England if they can build with Borthwick in the next 4 years. He got shafted by a short time period ahead of this World Cup and has come one point short of getting them to the final. Think England supporters can be incredibly proud of how their team performed today… but it's also gutting that you started off with no Hope (based on the posts in this thread) then they had you believe and then it was just taken at the end there. That feeling is worse.

Man Pollard… wow.

So sorry for the English fans on the board here. That one I'm sure is a tough one to take.
I've always said you Saffas are alright.

I don't understand this last scrum penalty. BOK showing a knee on the ground by England ? I didn't see any on replay ?
No idea, Koch bore in IMO, and as the 3 scrums before that BOK just seemed to lose track of what was going on. Scrums dont crab that quickly sideways without reason

At least no O'Keefe in the final. SA have had to play under him 3 huge games now. You have to adapt so much and try to keep him out of the game. Think at the end he gave us the scrum penalty just out of expectation tbh. TBF I'm not sure I would be able to handle the pressure these refs must be under.

Between France and England I think NZ have the perfect template to beat us but it wouldn't be their natural game.

I'm curious why you would think that. South Africa faced much tougher opponents. I think they will mop the floor with England. But we will know soon.
As I said before the game....tight game. People in here underestimated England.
Best side lost today due to a prejudicial ref who decided every scrum was a one sided affair.

At least the best ref will be in the final...our beloved EnglishMan deserves that

I don't understand this last scrum penalty. BOK showing a knee on the ground by England ? I didn't see any on replay ?
It was a far call, Genge and Sinckler struggled with the 2nd Bok drive and popped their hips out. I'm not sure if the problem was with the props or taking Martin off from the TH side. Either way the Boks took their chances well and won in the top 2 inches

Vincent Koch driving in on the angle was so obvious it was untrue. O'Keeffe just wanted to penalise England it's as simple as that.

It would have been a travesty had the team that scored the only try lost. Well done SA, you won it rather than the poms losing it which is what their wailing fans will be claiming from now to 2027!!

Last few decisions stick in the mind but england got a but of rub from him as well. Playing this game by kicking everything is always playing with fire even if it was probably right considering conditions.
Yeah I'm annoyed with BOK but I'm not going to go on a rant about he butcherd big calls like he did against France.

It's called Bristol
Sorry for being 1 off top of league i with 9 points taken from a possible 10.

Bristol had a strong scrum again today after manshaming the Leicester pack last week.

🤷

I must have imagined Cole getting ragdolled in the scrum minutes before he came off (not to mention 2019 WC final), also keeping an underperforming George on for so long is not beneficial to scrum dominance. Then again I guess that's what happens when you select so many players from the two clubs who currently sit at the bottom of the table (Leicester and Saracens) with 1 and 0 points, respectively.

Fair play South Africa, sure know how to close out games. Best of luck in final.

What did happen to him before this match.. really like another person
I think it was just a natural, honest reaction for once rather than a contrived media spiel/act.

******* with rain and the new grip technology on the ball turns to an oil slick in the rain (as said by many players this tournament and shown by the amount of wild handling errors today)

What did you expect?
Wet weather games are a thing
your proving my point though, I didnt blame either team, both contributed to that kick fest.

World rugby is to blame, they have made playing rugby too risky and theyve encouraged kicking.

You cant ruck, so keeping the ball is too risky, you cant defend hard because red cards are being thrown at teams,

Hell in Wales itll be illegal to tackle above the waist this season, that will set the standard for international rugby in a few seasons!

I don't think you can say BOK was one sided. He'd clearly already awarded that last scrum pen in his head before it happened, but thats what you get for losing 3-4 in a row.

Can't believe anyone is crying about Englands tactics. All we've heard for 8 weeks is how we will get blown away by the best (or IRE/FRA/NZ) side ever and yet when we play to our strengths and frighten you to death we have to hear this "anti rugby" nonsense.

Very rich from a side that's always prided itself on total and utter forward dominance 😂😂

Here's the thing- England and SA are and always have been far more similar than we care to admit. Great nations, proud nations, physical nations.

England almost did you tonight - but there is no contention that SA v NZ is a great final.

I feel for Ireland and France who beat them both and have no reward for it, but that's life

44 kicks isnt rugby it is anti rugby.

I've said for a while now Rugby is losing traction as a global sport, and many sports are fighting to take our spot. Rugby is slowly dropping in audience ratings to other sports, and games like this is why.

The game has become more sanitised, overly technical and now the last elements of entertainment ball in hand are being left away by all the biggest teams.
Dont really care your opinion, it doesnt matter, the fact is a strong kicking game is part of rugby, a physical defence is part of rugby. And is a part many do enjoy its not just about you.

If England went out there and decided to run from everywhere...

How do you think that would have gone?

It was a game plan thad could have won us the game. SA played no more rugby they just got that 1 very good try.

It would have been a travesty had the team that scored the only try lost. Well done SA, you won it rather than the poms losing it which is what their wailing fans will be claiming from now to 2027!!
Ah yes there always one person who thinks only trys matter in the game.

Here's the thing Farrell's DG was a better peice of rugby than SA's try.

Latest posts