• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Fiji (10/09/2023)

bent officiating.

Do you really mean that? Poor, officious or incompetent is one thing (well 3 things really), but that's next level. Every referring performance gets scrutinised to death - would refs really get any top level matches if they showed signs of bias? WR may quite like the cosy status quo, but that's surely not really going to extend to on field decision making.

As for calling players by their names, I've always loathed that - it can make refs appear too close to players even when they're not. Red 9 or green 10 is fine and keeps a necessary degree of separation.

This thread's been fine, helps that even the Welsh posters fully agree that Fiji were shafted though. There have been plenty of previous threads that have been pretty abysmal though, where I've actively called out pretty shitty behaviour towards welsh posters. I do think this is part of the reason why there's such a small group of Welsh posters in comparison to what there used to be, it can be prety toxic here sometimes and would have 100% turned me off if I hadn't been on here for almost 2 decades!

Edit. Anyway, back to ref bashing everyone!
TBF - I think you are right. Im not very active here because, well, as you said above. (If it weren't for ScumV's demise might never have ended up here in the first place).
It was a controversial game. You had 2 teams with a strong possibility of winning the game before kick off. Both had been specifically thinking about the match for weeks and in the end, it didn't disappoint (entertainment wise). Because of the poor officiating, my thoughts turned to this forum which I logged onto and read back post-match. Maybe my thoughts were already biased in that regard hence my perception being skewed.
It was a great last match in most regard for the last game of opening weekend, maybe spoiled by the ref... who wasn't alone in most decisions mind you. Are the touch judges and TMO also complicit in this?

Do you really mean that? Poor, officious or incompetent is one thing (well 3 things really), but that's next level. Every referring performance gets scrutinised to death - would refs really get any top level matches if they showed signs of bias? WR may quite like the cosy status quo, but that's surely not really going to extend to on field decision making.

As for calling players by their names, I've always loathed that - it can make refs appear too close to players even when they're not. Red 9 or green 10 is fine and keeps a necessary degree of separation.
Yes, Steve Walsh. England were responsible for getting him fired and he was allowed to come back to international refereeing as a ref for another nation and back to refereeing England. Even if he tried to be unbiased, I don't think you can when there is that much bad blood.

Perhaps not the best choice of word in hindsight. There are far too many instances of certain higher ranked teams getting the rub of the green for my liking and it's not just this RWC. It can't all be down to incompetence.

I remember in 2015 someone I met in a pub was adamant that WR had a 'preferred QF line up, SFs and final'.I laughed at the time but can see why these kind of theories start to fly around.

Last edited:
Are the touch judges and TMO also complicit in this?
On this occasion I don't think they were. TMO brought Dee's no arms tackle to Carley's attention, Carly disagreed (imo, this was a penalty at least, but no PT). After that it's thr ref's responsibility to decide when repeat infringements/cynical play constitute a yellow card. Carley didn't miss any key offenses, just chose not to punish them as harshly as he probably should, that's on him.

TBF - I think you are right. Im not very active here because, well, as you said above. (If it weren't for ScumV's demise might never have ended up here in the first place)
Stick around after the World Cup and join the URC banter chains. We are pretty tame in there, and you're pretty safe from the English joining in. It's only ever really @TRF_Olyy that pops in to tell us our league's not that good. Would be good to have some chats with some Welsh fans - the SA teams vs Welsh games are usually one sided with Saffas.

This thread's been fine, helps that even the Welsh posters fully agree that Fiji were shafted though. There have been plenty of previous threads that have been pretty abysmal though, where I've actively called out pretty shitty behaviour towards welsh posters. I do think this is part of the reason why there's such a small group of Welsh posters in comparison to what there used to be, it can be prety toxic here sometimes and would have 100% turned me off if I hadn't been on here for almost 2 decades!

If it was just a bad Ref, that might excuse last night.....it's the fact that the Ref is always biased against Tier 2 nations, that threaten any Tier 1 nation....the WRC has a serious problem.

I don't think it's as bad as it use to be. I think VC with his big old chip on his shoulder and the clear dislike for England never helped :D

The Wales England thread this year was the worst. A joint complaining session about how trash our 2 teams are!

I don't think it's as bad as it use to be. I think VC with his big old chip on his shoulder and the clear dislike for England never helped :D

The Wales England thread this year was the worst. A joint complaining session about how trash our 2 teams are!
Really? I thought Wales and England trying to outcompete how **** we each are are some of the best threads in terms of national relations. It's when one of us is actually good that things get a bit sour. When we are both crap, it tends to be more cordial (at least between the asterisk laden rants about our own sides).

I think it's fine in domestic competition when a referee knows every player cause of familiarity. As long as they know every player it's okay. With international play they should use numbers unless they take the time to learn the entire rosters of the team they are reffing.

I just want to provide some kudos for using this word, in what I presume is your second language.

And also to say that I didn't have to google it to see if it meant what it looked like it meant - or was even a "real" word in English. Not at all. Erm...
It's also a computer term in SQL

This welsh team is so much more likable now that AWJ is gone. If gatland forced him out he is the best coach in the history of sport.
Think how much more likeable they'll be once Biggar is gone

I think it's fine in domestic competition when a referee knows every player cause of familiarity. As long as they know every player it's okay. With international play they should use numbers unless they take the time to learn the entire rosters of the team they are reffing.
I think it's a positive thing most of the time - helps keep things cordial and mitigate frustration - but the ref has to know, and be instantly familiar with the names of all 46 players; otherwise only 1 side is feeling cordial and not-frustrated, whilst the other side feels less cordial and more frustrated.

Yes, Steve Walsh. England were responsible for getting him fired and he was allowed to come back to international refereeing as a ref for another nation and back to refereeing England. Even if he tried to be unbiased, I don't think you can when there is that much bad blood.
Ive never forgiven Walsh for a Scotland RWC game where Danielli got the ball about 30 yards out with no-one in front of him, easy run in, and Walsh called him back for a penalty to Scotland. I forget which year or opposition

Perhaps not the best choice of word in hindsight. There are far too many instances of certain higher ranked teams getting the rub of the green for my liking and it's not just this RWC. It can't all be down to incompetence.

I remember in 2015 someone I met in a pub was adamant that WR had a 'preferred QF line up, SFs and final'.I laughed at the time but can see why these kind of theories start to fly around.
Joubert effect?

Ive never forgiven Walsh for a Scotland RWC game where Danielli got the ball about 30 yards out with no-one in front of him, easy run in, and Walsh called him back for a penalty to Scotland. I forget which year or opposition
Geordan Murphy intercepting and running under the posts to be called back for a French knock on on the only 6n game we lost in 07...

I forgive him though just for the raw sex appeal.

Really? I thought Wales and England trying to outcompete how **** we each are are some of the best threads in terms of national relations. It's when one of us is actually good that things get a bit sour. When we are both crap, it tends to be more cordial (at least between the asterisk laden rants about our own sides).
The worst in that there was no form of entertainment. Enjoy Arena coming in drunk at about 9pm after an England Wales game

I'm probably a good example of this too Dullonien. I tend to dip into the forum for the big tournaments and lurk the rest of the time because I find the view on Wales/Welsh rugby quite negative here. It's goes well beyond banter sometimes (which to be fair is also excellent here at times).

And like most welsh fans, we know there should have been a yellow card before the Fijian one and Elias was a lucky boy in the first half as another interpretation of that and it's a yellow. Fiji will be equally as gutted they didn't take their chances when they were there, and there were plenty.

Latest posts