• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland vs Ireland - 06/08/2011 - RWC Warm Up

I really think Scotland could win this one, or at least have enough possesion to see who will make the 30 and who will be cut.
Scotland SHOULD win this one. If they cant beat this Irish side, at home, then you would seriously expect them to struggle.

Ireland have selected a Mickey mouse pack with a patched up backline. The likes of Kearney and Flannery will get some much needed gametime, and some of the players have a chance to stake a claim for a spot, but this isnt a real team on paper, and wont play like one on the pitch.

The only pick which I think really merits ridicule is: Ronan at 7... I mean WTF. What ever about the guys already in the squad like O'Brien or even McLaughlin who can play 7, there are outside picks who play more often and are just plain better like, Johnny O'Connor, Fallon, Henry and Dom Ryan must even be ahead at this stage. It is a very bizarre pick, which I hope shall not be replicated come a Wallace/Jennings injury crisis at the RWC.

This has nothing to do with Munster or Leinster....

Simply 2 props rested are starters both Leinster so 2 Munster lads come in - Buckley is now Sale let's not forget.
Fla I think everyone agree's needs gametime
O'Leary and Boss only 2 9's deemed available.
Leamy Fighting for a spot as is Ryan and Felix Jones.
Form hasn't much to do with this and Kidney needs to find answers

Well, put it another way then. Do you want the likes of Hayes, Horan, Ronan, Leamy, O'Leary and Mick O'Driscoll in contention for world cup spots?

I'd want Leamy and O'Learly in contention if it meant that they were playing as well as they used to in the distant past.

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/ Leinster) - Ok with it, needs game time
14 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) - Ok with it, finished the Six Nations well
13 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/ Leinster) - Glad he's in the team but should be at 12 at the expense of Paddy Wallace with O'Malley at 13
12 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/ Ulster) - Read above
11 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/ Leinster) - Meh we need to rest Earls so i guess this gives him a chance to show he hasn't completely lost it
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster) - Not much choice
9 - Tomas O’Leary (Dolphin/ Munster) - Don't know how this happened. Seriously how?
1 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster) >
2 - Sean Cronin (Leinster) > - Like fly half we haven't much choice here but am happy to see Cronin get the chance to push himself up the pecking order
3 - Tony Buckley (Sale) >
4 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster) - Would prefer to see how McLaughlin converts to lock on the International stage and also think he'd compliment Cullen's aerial ability with his graft work.
5 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster) Captain
6 - Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/ Connacht)*
7 - Niall Ronan (Shannon/ Munster)
8 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Replacements:
16 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/ Munster)
17 - Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
18 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
19 - Mick O’Driscoll (Cork Constitution/ Munster)
20 - Kevin McLaughlin (St Mary’s College/ Leinster)
21 - Isaac Boss (Terenure College/ Leinster)
22 - Felix Jones (Shannon/ Munster)

Accidentally posted that last one before i was finished and i can't edit or delete my post so i'll just finish off these last 4.

5 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster) Captain - Happy with that
6 - Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/ Connacht)* >
7 - Niall Ronan (Shannon/ Munster) > - Would have preferred Ferris, Jennings, Leamy but if Ferris still isn't ready then since McLaughlin isn't starting i would have liked him at 6.
8 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster) >

vBookie Scotland - Ireland

vBookie added. Enjoy guys! Happy betting...

Despite initial shock am feeling better about it. Despite no big names the pack is full of good hard workers who can create a good platform at the breakdown probably not the set-peice though. However this will give us enough oppurtunity to unleash a backline which apart fom O'Leary is IMO superior. Could get good overlaps thanks to Buckley clearing out rucks by himself.

Guessing the main ball carriers in the pack to be Cronin, Buckley, Ryan and Leamy. Not great but not bad either. In the backs expect Trimble and probably McFadden to carry most of the hard yards.

Can I ask just quickly what other players were realistic choices that a) are actually in the squad? O'Malley etc aren't in the squad and b) aren't still on their pre-season period.

Do people want Kidney to just constantly pick his best 15 and well then have them burnt out and when they get injured have reserves that are undercooked.
People slate O'Leary's inclusion and I was 1 of his biggest critics last season but well he is
a) Experienced b) A realistic option to travel and c) It's a new season so maybe form has improved.

I don't hear anyone call for Reddan to be axed since he finished domestic season on shaky form including an awful last game in ML final and has been patchy for Ireland.
Kidney needs to give all these guys a chance so they are all equally prepared and he knows who's up to the task.
And as someone said already if O'Leary and Leamy are back on form I'd definitely have them in contention as options.

People are still too caught up in last season and fail to realize it's a new season and form is temporary.

Look TO'L's style suited 09 not so much the current game Philipps is another example of this.

Is Bowe still in pre-season? I don't mind Wallace playing but I want McFadden getting time at 12. Strangely in the squad all of the cover I can think of for 13 seem to be considered wings first by the management.

Look TO'L's style suited 09 not so much the current game Philipps is another example of this.

Is Bowe still in pre-season? I don't mind Wallace playing but I want McFadden getting time at 12. Strangely in the squad all of the cover I can think of for 13 seem to be considered wings first by the management.
Bowe is injured slightly and well Boss is only other 9 available but probably needed break so no point flogging him either. And can someone tell me why Kidney will pick McFadden at 12 when he has always had Wallace there when D'arcy was out or even at times when he was fit.

Accidentally posted that last one before i was finished and i can't edit or delete my post so i'll just finish off these last 4.

5 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster) Captain - Happy with that
6 - Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/ Connacht)* >
7 - Niall Ronan (Shannon/ Munster) > - Would have preferred Ferris, Jennings, Leamy but if Ferris still isn't ready then since McLaughlin isn't starting i would have liked him at 6.
8 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster) >

Agreed on Ronan not deserving to be there but Ferris is injured as is Jennings. McLaughlin still on his pre-season and only on bench a week early because he fighting for spot. But I'd have preferred Ryan or Ruddock from Leinster here as they are better players but this is how Kidney see's it in pecking order it seems.

Out of them non are a 7 unless you're talking about Dominic Ryan. Oh and of course Jennings but he's injured.

And can someone tell me why Kidney will pick McFadden at 12 when he has always had Wallace there when D'arcy was out or even at times when he was fit.

Because he's better. I know Kidneys reputation but still McFadden has really raised in stock this year.

Agreed on Ronan not deserving to be there but Ferris is injured as is Jennings. McLaughlin still on his pre-season and only on bench a week early because he fighting for spot. But I'd have preferred Ryan or Ruddock from Leinster here as they are better players but this is how Kidney see's it in pecking order it seems.

Ah ok, initially i was shocked to see the team that was fielded but when i compared that 22 to the squad that has been picked and trained i've calmed down a bit. It seems we actually don't have as much depth as i thought or we could have a bit more depth (more so in the backline) but guys are being left out. I think people's main problem with O'Leary being picked is that if he really wanted to be a starter in the Irish jersey then he should have played well in the domestic season but he didn't (Munster 3rd choice). The man who did was Conor Murray who isn't being rewarded for his efforts.

If there's any doubts about D'Arcy's fitness, McFadden needs a tryout at 12.

This said, Mincer's going and O'Malley isn't, so this makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if both Mincer and McFadden move 1 in over the course of the game.

Oh poo, the broadcaster in SA is nae broadcasting this live, despite having the rights to, opting for school boy rugby :eek:

So I'll be relying on yuze to give me a fair, balanced and non-text lingoed updates on the game ;)

I must admit I know nothing about the Irish back-row that is being fielded, but given the general *unhappiness* displayed on this thread, I assume that Scotland should be able to protect their ball effectivley?

Yes you can trust all the unbiased posters. Just keep in mind we're usually either really optimistic or pessimistic.

Glad to see Strokosch starting the game. The man's a machine. Also looking to see more from Ford today. He's not been the same player he was when he was picked for the Lions a couple of years back...

Also hoping to see a good display from Jackson, and let's finally put this whole Dan Parks situation to bed.

Latest posts