• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: Italy vs. Wales (05/02/2017)

Howlers done exactly what most of us expected, bottled selection.
The rash of new players when the squad was announced was just a bloody smokescreen to deflect the press, pundits and fans, most saw through it.

Graham Price made a very relevant comment today, saying -: Howley has appointed a new backs coach, but wasn't he the attacking coach?It'll be a bit embarrassing if suddenly the backs improve beyond recognition.

Johny Fox isn't firing at the moment nor is North, Steff Evans should be starting on Sunday and maybe Biggar as a 2nd 5/8 with Sam D at 10, this would be an exciting back division one pundits and fans would love to see.

The forwards selected I haven't got a problem with.

Once Gats tenure has ended we need Dai Young as head coach, Stephen Jones as backs coach and maybe either Jonathan Humphries or Rocking Horse looking after the forwards,

The team looks beyond conservative and almost picked out of sheer fear of losing to Italy. I don't doubt it will do the job but this was the game to try a few new faces, no?The only surprise is Roberts on the bench again.

Enjoyed Howley's statement that it "Took a long time to select the team".

Sort of reminded me of teaching an elderly colleague, many years ago, about the miracle of ctrl-c and ctrl-v thus virtually doubling his productivity. Might send Rob a telegram, speed up the selection process a bit so that he can coach some more creativity out of the players.

...yeah ok, that was OTT.

Last edited:
Sort of reminded me of teaching an elderly colleague, many years ago, about the miracle of ctrl-c and ctrl-v thus virtually doubling his productivity. Might send Rob a telegram.

PMSL, I was playing in a quiz league and was amazed that I was the only person in two teams of four that knew what ctrl+v did and then got upset when I said that I wouldn't want to employ any of them! To be fair, I was almost thirty years younger than anyone else in that room.

In other news.....Please. Stop. With. The. Silly. Nicknames!

Relieved to see Williams won't be fullback as he'd cause chaos with the constant hoof up the park from Padovani. I was mystified by Campagnaro being overlooked in Autumn (was he injured?) and I'd like to think either he or Benvenuti could play 12. I think O'Shea is going with Luke McLean for leadership and mental ability. I can't think of any other explanation.

Depressing reading the Wales team and i'm not even Welsh. Reminds me of when Kidney was charge with Ireland. Just sucked the ****ing joy and excitement out of everything.

I'd have gone with 90% of that starting 15. I would have liked to see Young starting at blindside ahead of Warburton, but otherwise it's as I'd have picked in the pack. In the backs, I would have 100% picked Davies at 10, and as Valley Commando suggested, try something a little different at 12. I personally see Owen Williams as the better option than Biggar due to his experience of playing there for Leicester + his better defense. That's not to say that Biggar couldn't work at 12. Ideally, I'd just have Ashley Beck there, as he's the most rounded option we have + he's in great form, but Howley inexplicably left him out of the squad entirely! Jon Davies isn't cutting it at regional level atm, so unless he manages to pull some form out of his ***, then I can see him continuing to really struggle this 6 nations. I'm fine with the 3 players selected in the back 3 (though I'd have Liam at fullback personally), but do concede that North needs to pull his finger out. He's too good a player to leave out though, and I'm backing him to have a strong 6 nations.

It's the bench that's really annoyed me. The front row cover is OK, although Baldwin is lucky to be there given that he's mostly been second choice at the O's this season. I'd prefer to see Thorntun ahead of Hill, who hasn't really stood out much in a poor Dragons side. Whilst I understand that King offers versatility on the bench, and tbh he's a prety decent regional player, I don't think he's anywhere near physical enough to play at 8 internationally, in which case Warbs could have just covered 8 in an emergency, with either Young or Cracknell on the bench, who imo both look more likely to develop into quality international players. My final issue is with Roberts taking up the valuable 23 shirt. He only covers one position, and I can't see him coming onto the pitch and causing much of an impact. You want someone with pace coming off the bench against tired legs, not someone who will run into defenders! North can cover center in an emergency, which could have allowed for Steff Evans (and in the longer term Keelan Giles) to have an opportunity off the bench. About time Roberts is cut from the squad entirely imo. Feels harsh given his commitment, quality and passion over the years, but there's little room for sentiment in professional sport. As soon as he stopped being a starter, I struggle to see what he really offers.

I don't think Biggar is quick enough to play centre internationally and Sam Davies too small but it's a question we shouldn't be having because Beck should have been in the squad, maybe even started.

I don't think Biggar is quick enough to play centre internationally and Sam Davies too small but it's a question we shouldn't be having because Beck should have been in the squad, maybe even started.

agreed. beck has looked really classy since coming back for the ospreys, williams at 12 and beck at 13 would be a great combo.

Relieved to see Williams won't be fullback as he'd cause chaos with the constant hoof up the park from Padovani. I was mystified by Campagnaro being overlooked in Autumn (was he injured?) and I'd like to think either he or Benvenuti could play 12. I think O'Shea is going with Luke McLean for leadership and mental ability. I can't think of any other explanation.

Campagnaro has been injured through most of the season (hamstring I think?) hence his run outs for Chiefs only coming recently.

I'm really hoping Alex King as new attack coach will make a bit of difference to what we saw in the Autumn. A new perspective is what Wales desperately need right now, I just hope he is the man to provide that in the right way. He has spoken of how he has been focusing on getting North involved more frequently, so this gives me a bit of hope. I also think AWJ as captain might help inspire the team, as he really does lead through example.

Like a lot of other posters in this thread I too think Beck should be starting (and be in the expanded squad in the first place). Jonathan Davies is stale at the moment, Roberts is a pointless player to bring off the bench (it would have been the perfect opportunity to give Steff Evans a chance to put some points on the board if Wales are leading) and Beck really has been the other form centre recently.

I am not entirely surprised Howley has played it as safe as he can. There is a lot of pressure on him getting results in this tournament if he has any chance of staying on when Gats leaves at the end of his contract.

My big worry for Wales is a massive lack of depth in the centre. Whether you agree with putting a 10 there or not, it might come to that. Only one centre is going to need to pick up a knock to only have the starting 12-13 with experience in the position. Let's face it, JD and SW haven't been in blistering form ether.

We are notoriously slow starters, but I still think Wales will win the game.

I am not entirely surprised Howley has played it as safe as he can. There is a lot of pressure on him getting results in this tournament if he has any chance of staying on when Gats leaves at the end of his contract.

Exactly, you can't expect the man to be experimental when auditioning for a job.

Much as I'd like to see Italy win, I can't see beyond a bonus point thrashing by Wales.

I predicted Wales to win initially but starting to think Italy can pull off another shock this weekend.

Wales certainly have to improve on recent performances.

Wales win. Unconvincing opening 55 but then a flattering score line inc bonus point .

You always stack the fantasy team against Italy. An upset needs Wales to leave their game on the plane.

I suppose that's not beyond them.

My big worry for Wales is a massive lack of depth in the centre. Whether you agree with putting a 10 there or not, it might come to that. Only one centre is going to need to pick up a knock to only have the starting 12-13 with experience in the position. Let's face it, JD and SW haven't been in blistering form ether.

We are notoriously slow starters, but I still think Wales will win the game.

There are decent centres Howler just won't pick them, Beck is the form centre in Wales and not even in the squad.

Got money on Italy winning - not entirely confident in it, but hey ho... cocks crossed.

The stadium is half full. I expect sell outs in most games.

Latest posts