• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England vs Australia (24/11/18)

As I said above. 10 is a more important position. Even with Te'o as the next best option, the gap between Farrell and the next best 12 is about the same as between Farrell and the next best 10. 10 is a more important position, so I'd rather have my best there. Also, Teo/Tuilagi bring things that Farrell doesn't ball in hand. I'm not sure on current form that Ford brings anything significant more than Farrell in any aspect of his game. I like him on the bench so that if we want to open up later in the game, he can do that alongside Farrell then.

Ford is MUCH better than Farrell when we get on the front foot, they aren't even comparable. When we are struggling there isn't much between them. Farrells game management from 10 isn't that different to Ford's and most of what he offers is more physicality in defence and attitude. A Teo-Tuilagi midfield is good if everyone utilised it properly but it's more likely we would revert to the Johnson era crash ball centre resulting in our wings being left out of the game (arguably some of our best players) and we would be closed down very easily.

I think Ford-Farrell as 10-12 is still our best option as I think what we lose having Teo at 12 is more than what we gain with Farrell at 10. Teo is supposed to offer a strong crash ball option but he really doesn't.

In theory Farrell could be a massive weak-link. If i was opposite him i'd be trying to wind him up all match every match. He seems susceptible.

In theory Farrell could be a massive weak-link. If i was opposite him i'd be trying to wind him up all match every match. He seems susceptible.

I'd just try and avoid his shoulder and 'that' might simply anger 'it'... one of the most potent weapons in the game atm.

Last edited:
I'd just try and avoid his shoulder and 'that' might simply anger 'it'... one of the most potent weapons in the game atm.
Meh, he's digging his own grave.

Remember the media campaign against Marler boring in? He's just drawing attention to himself right before the world cup.

Meh, he's digging his own grave.

Remember the media campaign against Marler boring in? He's just drawing attention to himself right before the world cup.

Slightly different, Farrell is standing out as you say and needs to stop it. With Marler though he was no different to any other LH and the fact he got singled out so long was pathetic.

Slightly different, Farrell is standing out as you say and needs to stop it. With Marler though he was no different to any other LH and the fact he got singled out so long was pathetic.
A lot of rugby is perception, particularly scrums.

The Wallabies were painful to watch and in truth have been so for several years now. There is a collective lack of intelligence in the current team, something you definitely couldn't say about past Wallabies teams, who were known for possessing lots of brains and tactical nous. This was what gave them their competitive advantage over teams endowed with much more cattle.
It's now clear that what professionalism has done is ensure that people like Mark Loane, Nick Farr-Jones, Bill Campbell, Simon Poidevin, Stephen Larkham, Joe Roff, etc -- people with brains and brawn -- no longer play for the Wallabies. Only the meatheads remain.

Don't get that England scored 3 try's with Farrell at 10
You don't rate Farrell as flyhalf? I think that jersey is his now.
Lots of variations Eddie Jones can go with, but probably Te'o/Manu at 12 and Manu/Slade at 13. There is also JJ to come and even Daly at 13.
Ford will come in when the game opens up or needs to be opened up further.

Lots of variations Eddie Jones can go with, but probably Te'o/Manu at 12 and Manu/Slade at 13. There is also JJ to come and even Daly at 13.
Ford will come in when the game opens up or needs to be opened up further.
I was replying to someone saying Ford Farrell is better

Lots of people don't rate Farrell as a particularly good FH.
He's decent, he's okay, he's just not as good as Ford or Cipriani at being a FH, whilst simultaneously being our best option at IC.
This is a very unpopular opinion within the media, but a pretty common one amongst fans everywhere except the Saracens boards. Rarely the dominant opinion, but still pretty common.

I remember watching Joe Cokinisiga for the Eng U20 vs Ireland (I think) and whilst being great with ball in hand, he was a shambles under the high ball and kicking for touch. It's pretty clear he's improved but I'm not saying he's a dead cert to start in the 6N. Particularly vs the box kicking machine that is Conor Murray in Dublin in Feb.

Ford is definitely not our best 10, Tigers last season looked better when he was absent with Toomua at 10, Ford is living off past success, he probably has higher potential but I think his lack of domestic success in recent season may have knocked his confifdence, he doesn't seem the player he was, as I have said ample times if you want a real attacking fly half Cips is simply better than Ford, his antics aside.

It's a pity Australia and the traditional big 3 are no longer the force they once were, except new Zealand. God help us of this sentiment is expressed anywhere except on this thread though, that would be terrible.

Latest posts