• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

I want billy V out as quickly as possible. I think he causes all the pack to be unbalanced. He's lazy, doesn't offer any smash in attack or defence and I really can't see anything he brings more than Curry at 8, or Dombrant, or any other 8 for that.

I can't see May or JJ staying in the squad, not sure we need them either but I wouldn't be aggrieved if they stayed in. JJ is always a good player who can cover wing as well so maybe he stays as a bench option. Most teams have younger wingers for a reason (I think, from memory).

I'm less concerned about age and more about form and skill set. Right now, May doesn't have the form, but pretty much has the full range of skills a top class winger needs.

Even if he's lost a yard of pace he was so quick to begin with he's still faster than almost every other winger we have. His ability under the high ball and his positioning in defence are also better than all but Watson IMO. We have several promising wingers, but most of them have pretty obvious areas to work on. I'm 100% open to giving them the time and exposure to improve, but I don't think that necessitates canning May.

Also worth noting that he's widely known as one of the most dedicated trainers and the way he's evolved his game is a great example for the younger wingers. Even if he's no longer a nailed on starter, he's worth keeping in the squad to work with the less experienced guys.

Final point - NZ kept Ben Smith around until well into his 30s because he was still one of their best back three players. Same with Australia and Ashley-Cooper. If May is still one of our top two wingers in 2023, I don't particularly care if he'll be 33.

I'm less concerned about age and more about form and skill set. Right now, May doesn't have the form, but pretty much has the full range of skills a top class winger needs.

Even if he's lost a yard of pace he was so quick to begin with he's still faster than almost every other winger we have. His ability under the high ball and his positioning in defence are also better than all but Watson IMO. We have several promising wingers, but most of them have pretty obvious areas to work on. I'm 100% open to giving them the time and exposure to improve, but I don't think that necessitates canning May.

Also worth noting that he's widely known as one of the most dedicated trainers and the way he's evolved his game is a great example for the younger wingers. Even if he's no longer a nailed on starter, he's worth keeping in the squad to work with the less experienced guys.

Final point - NZ kept Ben Smith around until well into his 30s because he was still one of their best back three players. Same with Australia and Ashley-Cooper. If May is still one of our top two wingers in 2023, I don't particularly care if he'll be 33.
I think keep him around but I personally think we need to be starting players like Radwan etc so that we have a squad. Then if Mays form drops we have a backup or a choice between them. If we just keep starting May and never provide experience for Radwan etc then we may end up at a World Cup with a 5 cap winger or something like that.

I hate to say this and I'm sorry everyone, but I think Daly should be kept around as a 13/ wing as well.

Steward at FB, with May, Watson and possible Radwan on the wing and Daly in the squad as cover. That's a good lot really.

I want billy V out as quickly as possible. I think he causes all the pack to be unbalanced. He's lazy, doesn't offer any smash in attack or defence and I really can't see anything he brings more than Curry at 8, or Dombrant, or any other 8 for that.

I can't see May or JJ staying in the squad, not sure we need them either but I wouldn't be aggrieved if they stayed in. JJ is always a good player who can cover wing as well so maybe he stays as a bench option. Most teams have younger wingers for a reason (I think, from memory).
Billy might not be what he was, but im really not sure he can be labelled as lazy...and his defence has been huge...

I think keep him around but I personally think we need to be starting players like Radwan etc so that we have a squad. Then if Mays form drops we have a backup or a choice between them. If we just keep starting May and never provide experience for Radwan etc then we may end up at a World Cup with a 5 cap winger or something like that.

I hate to say this and I'm sorry everyone, but I think Daly should be kept around as a 13/ wing as well.

Steward at FB, with May, Watson and possible Radwan on the wing and Daly in the squad as cover. That's a good lot really.
I'd be happy with Steward, Watson and May/Radwan. Not sure about Daly though.

With the exception of long range kicking, I think Malins does what Eddie wanted from Daly, but he does it naturally and does it well. If it's a straight choice, I'd be backing Malins.

I was disappointed he got injured in the USA game as I quite like the idea of a 'roaming winger' and Malins has the skill set to be a lot more than just a strike runner. His experience of playing at 10 means he's as likely to create something as he is to score himself. I can definitely see that idea being tried again.

Billy might not be what he was, but im really not sure he can be labelled as lazy...and his defence has been huge...
Hasn't he described himself as 'lazy' though? He's definitely talked about struggling with motivation which makes me suspect that if he gets dropped, he'll be annoyed but would shrug it off rather than fighting for his place.

He's lazy compared to all our other players. He's walking around the pitch and he doesn't offer anything more than any other player at 8. He'd be the worst ball carrier out of our back row, worst tackler as well. What does he offer, really compared to any other backrow option?

He doesn't make yards in contact any more, he mostly provides slow ball as well. He's not a tackle machine.

Tom Willis, uni rig and Curry at 8 all better in every single item than billy.

I'd be happy with Steward, Watson and May/Radwan. Not sure about Daly though.

With the exception of long range kicking, I think Malins does what Eddie wanted from Daly, but he does it naturally and does it well. If it's a straight choice, I'd be backing Malins.

I was disappointed he got injured in the USA game as I quite like the idea of a 'roaming winger' and Malins has the skill set to be a lot more than just a strike runner. His experience of playing at 10 means he's as likely to create something as he is to score himself. I can definitely see that idea being tried again.

Hasn't he described himself as 'lazy' though? He's definitely talked about struggling with motivation which makes me suspect that if he gets dropped, he'll be annoyed but would shrug it off rather than fighting for his place.
Forgot about Malins, he did look good and it is a shame he got injured.

I understand my opinion on Daly would not be liked by many. When he's on form he does a great job at 13 and wing in my opinion but also get others won't like him there.

He's lazy compared to all our other players. He's walking around the pitch and he doesn't offer anything more than any other player at 8. He'd be the worst ball carrier out of our back row, worst tackler as well. What does he offer, really compared to any other backrow option?

He doesn't make yards in contact any more, he mostly provides slow ball as well. He's not a tackle machine.

Tom Willis, uni rig and Curry at 8 all better in every single item than billy.
Firstly i want Billy replaced with either Dombradnt, or even Tom Willis.

However, whilst Billy has pretty much become anonymous in attack his defence has been excellent and im sure he hit high numbers of tackles in the last 6n.

Hes a different play to Curry, underhill etc. so i cant agree hes lazy.

But i do think his main reason for being there was his bulldozing carrying...which has gone now....so he must be moved on.

I understand my opinion on Daly would not be liked by many. When he's on form he does a great job at 13 and wing in my opinion but also get others won't like him there.
Id rather see how Marchant goes at 13 now over Daly. Give him a good run in the side...and then work on the 12 to work with him

My issue with Daly is not attack, but defence. He's unreliable in the air and one of the worst defenders in the England squad regularly missing tackles. It's not good enough for international level. The Lions tour showed the folly of just looking at his attack. Played great for Sarries in the championship looking good in attack (unfortunately Townsend and Gatland didn't factor in the quality of opposition). Then goes on tour and looks out of his depth when defending at international level. Simply he doesn't help score more points than he will help concede.

I've long been against the selection of Daly, just don't feel he is good enough at Test level.

I think in Malins and Steward we have interesting enough FB options that Daly might be moved to 23 as versatile, experienced back cover. I could see Malins taking that spot from him too in the longer term, but I don't think Eddie will ring the changes as quickly as any of us would like.

I'm pretty sure we'll see Lawrence in the centres again, and I'm all for that. I still don't feel like we've seen him play, as his matches have been against poor opposition or outside Faz who refused to pass to him.

I feel like Loosehead is a potential problem for us, oddly. We've got Marler as our best, but he might not travel. Genge is fine, but I don't feel like he's quite kicked on. And Mako seems to alternate between being good or a complete liability, generally the latter when scrums are involved. So we either have three options or just Genge, depending on how you look at it. Who steps up? Obano, West, Davison?

I think in Malins and Steward we have interesting enough FB options that Daly might be moved to 23 as versatile, experienced back cover. I could see Malins taking that spot from him too in the longer term, but I don't think Eddie will ring the changes as quickly as any of us would like.

I'm pretty sure we'll see Lawrence in the centres again, and I'm all for that. I still don't feel like we've seen him play, as his matches have been against poor opposition or outside Faz who refused to pass to him.

I feel like Loosehead is a potential problem for us, oddly. We've got Marler as our best, but he might not travel. Genge is fine, but I don't feel like he's quite kicked on. And Mako seems to alternate between being good or a complete liability, generally the latter when scrums are involved. So we either have three options or just Genge, depending on how you look at it. Who steps up? Obano, West, Davison?
I think the AI's will see Genge starting and Obano on the bench with Mako on enforced Lions rest for the majority of the season up to that point

Firstly i want Billy replaced with either Dombradnt, or even Tom Willis.

However, whilst Billy has pretty much become anonymous in attack his defence has been excellent and im sure he hit high numbers of tackles in the last 6n.

Hes a different play to Curry, underhill etc. so i cant agree hes lazy.

But i do think his main reason for being there was his bulldozing carrying...which has gone now....so he must be moved on.
The 8 needs to do their share, but I don't mind them not being a workaholic - we have shedloads of flankers for that. But they do have to be intelligent footballers and impactful. Binny's seldom been the former and the latter is MIA.

Billy V, was in for his bruising carrying amongst all else. And he hasnt been that player for some years now. Although apparently stats actually contradict that.

Maybe with Cockers in and a new attack coach, now is the time to mix up tactics and personnel. Dombrandt is a big unit with pace, and intelligence. And he's a lineout option. He looks the 8 to take us to the world cup...supported by Tom Willis who i think is developing really nicely aswell....

Should we temper our expectations for new faces in the Autumn as there will be a lot of changes to bed in for the front line coaching team and you wouldn't really want to do both at the same time?

Jones is a constant. Proudfoot's still there for now, but Cockers is new in, Gleeson's new in and presumably there will be a new defence coach too. It's going to take a while for their ideas to become fully effective and for the players to buy into their ideas / them as they clearly didn't with Amor.

Didn't Jones replace a load of players two years out before the last World Cup? I'd expect him to replace some but probably keep a lot of the deadwood and make some more poor choices. But who knows, maybe he is a genius coach who makes basic errors every now and again.

How many games between now and the WC. New players will have to get experience...some will adapt to this level quicker than others.

I guess its a balancing act...old v new.

Three AIs this year,
Three tests next summer,
Four AIs next year (usually it's four)
Six Nations x 2

Then throw in probably two Barbarians (or similar) uncapped games, maybe 3 RWC warmups

25 games, 20 capped (or thereabouts)

its not a huge amount of games to get newbies up to speed...so he'll probably want to bring the ones he wants in quite quickly...

Latest posts