• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Farrell rejects England role

B10

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...ll-rejects-England-to-stay-with-Saracens.html

I seriously doubt the RFU couldn't afford to buy out Farrell's contract so its safe to assume Farrell has decided to stay with Saracens.

He's obviously done good work with team spirit and defence but I'm not too bothered he won't be returning for now.

I think it will be better for Owen Farrell that he's dad isn't a coach so there isn't debate about why he is in the team when his form goes through a bad patch and hopefully we will appoint Wayne Smith now. Think Smith would be a great addition to get our backline firing.

wayne smith should be getting a call any moment now. Personally I think it's for the best - I don't rate Farrell as an attack coach either.

That's not to say his presence won't be missed - he strikes me as one of those people who naturally brings the best out of others by sheer determination and dedication - like Dallaglio, for example.

Didn't Farrell work defense and backs in the six nations? I'd assume if Wayne Smith joins the coaching team (if he doesn't, the RFU and Lancaster are idiots) then he'd take on backs and attack. Then who would take on defense?

I don't think Smith is free till after the summer tour. So will the RFU go with a step in coach or will they go for another long term option other than Smith? I am not sure who is available for the summer tour or who would be a decent option other than Smith.

Apart from that I agree with most that it is not a big loss for England, who do need work it in attack more than any other area imo. This is clear from lack of tries from the back three and it also now stops the threat of sarries style rugby which is just plain dull.

Last edited:
I don't think Smith is free till after the summer tour. So will the RFU go with a step in coach or will they go for another long term option other than Smith? I am not sure who is available for the summer tour or who would be a decent option other than Smith.

Apart from that I agree with most that it is not a big loss for England, who need work it in attack more than any other area imo. This is clear from lack of tries from the back three and it also now stops the threat of sarries style rugby which is just plain dull.
I'd suspect that even if Farrell had stayed, 3 people wouldn't have been a big enough coaching team for the long-term anyway, and it would have soon been added to. Lancaster-Rowntree-Smith with a defense coach to be added, I'm hoping.

Catt & Booth will likely end up at Bath. Which amuses me if I'm honest.

Anyone listening to Lancaster on 5 live tonight? He's on answering questions and chatting until 8.30.

Just confirmed Wayne Smith is stand out candidate for attack coach. Doubt he would of mentioned it unless he was pretty sure Smith will accept the offer.

I know. I blame the schools. Kids these days are too wrapped up in their twitters and facetubes. No one puts any effort into trolling anymore

It would have been good to see Farrell take on the role but he has commitments to Saracens.

Nice to see some loyalty.

Latest posts