Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Rugby09

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
England
I personally believe that the England job should go to Lancaster. He is English and is doing a good job so far with the national team and should, in my opinion, be given the job full time rather than be passed over in favour of Mallet.

I was wondering what you guys think though, would you give it permanently to Lancaster or Mallet or someone else?

I'd like to see Lancaster keep the job, and if he doesn't keep the job then he should be involved in some aspect.
He's done a good job so far, considering the state England were in when he inherited them.

does it really matter??

they won't last very long no matter who they appoint as the coach.
Why?

To be honest, I think if England can grab Jake White and Wayne Smith they should. I don't think Lancaster has looked any better at all then Martin Johnson, in fact they've look a little bit less creative.

To be honest, I think if England can grab Jake White and Wayne Smith they should. I don't think Lancaster has looked any better at all then Martin Johnson, in fact they've look a little bit less creative.

To be fair though Lancaster does have a different brief - Johnson's was to build a world cup final team, Lancaster's is essentially to ensure that England aren't 'starting again, again' for Africa after 'starting again' after the world cup.

I agree about getting White though.

My first choice would be Jake White - simply because he has won a world cup.

Second would be Lancaster - as long as the RFU are prepared to headhunt the positional coaches to back him up.

Third - Well maybe Mallet.

I wouldn't mind signing Mallet or Lancaster till 2013 and trying to poach Robbie Deans away from the Wallabies when he goes out of contract asap!

I think Lancaster should get the job he hasn't be shy to put new players in and give them a chance on top of that he seems to have the changing with him and all the boys seem to want to play for him.

How much managerial experience did Mallet have before he got the South Africa job?

it's Lancaster for me, we've improved over the course of his short temp reign.

How much managerial experience did Mallet have before he got the South Africa job?

Irrelevant. Who knows what the SA board had as their selection criteria.

Unless, of course, you actually weren't aware, in which case apologies. He had some as Boland manager (pretty small club IIRC) and a couple of years as the SA deputy, so not a huge amount. But plenty of international playing experience, albeit in the around the world variety, rather than the number of caps type.

I'll happily eat a slice of crow pie on this. thought Lancaster would choke. Reading Robshaw's words on the matter has me all changed on the matter. The players clearly want him. Let it be so.

Personally I am unsure and barring a catastrophic loss for one of the two sides at Twickenham, I would be handing out the job to the person who gave me the best and clearest vision of what this England team need to do the reach the top and how its going to be done in the interview room.

I said on twitter immediately after the game that Lancaster should get the job. This team is markedly better than the one which went to the World Cup and they are improving game by game.

Irrelevant. Who knows what the SA board had as their selection criteria. Unless, of course, you actually weren't aware, in which case apologies. He had some as Boland manager (pretty small club IIRC) and a couple of years as the SA deputy, so not a huge amount. But plenty of international playing experience, albeit in the around the world variety, rather than the number of caps type.I'll happily eat a slice of crow pie on this. thought Lancaster would choke. Reading Robshaw's words on the matter has me all changed on the matter. The players clearly want him. Let it be so.
I will take the apologies, I know pretty much nothing about Mallett pre South Africa.

Last edited:
What has Mallet done? He didn't win a world cup with SA and coached Italy to a number of wooden spoons. I'm sure he's a good coach, but people seem to be blowing win up his ar$e because he coached the Boks, well so did Peter de Villiers! I think pre 6N you would have to give the job to Mallet, but you can't really argue with the 3 away wins that Lancaster has engineered. The win in Paris was pretty huge, with an inexperienced side against the WC finalists. I don't think he is a particularly amazing coach, but he seems sensible, rational and prepared to take risks with players. He has dropped players not playing well and picked players based on merit not reputation or caps or the fact they are 7 foot tall. I doubt his predecessors would have had the balls to stick Farrell in at 10 against Wales so he needs to be applauded for that. Give him to end 2013.

Slightly off topic: I didn't realise Nick Mallet was (basically) English. He was born in England, to English parents, moved to SA as a baby, came back here for University, then back to SA for rugby.

Lancaster gets until the end of the 2013 Six Nations to prove he can react to form and can keep England playing consistently well, to show that this isn't just a flash of brilliance. Emphasis on performance rather than results.

I think Lancaster should definitely get the job at least until 2013 then if he's not performing they they can look again. Dean Richards will have been back a while then, and if he's as successful with newcastle as he was with quins, then he maybe a good option.

Latest posts