• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: Australia vs. England [2nd Test] (18/06/2016)

Having reflected on the game I do think Hooper is overrated. Yes he's great lining up with the backs etc but when a game has real forward venom in it he's a bit of a laughing clown and was completely out played on Saturday and the week before. The Aussie's really miss some dog forwards and Hooper would appear to be a luxury player

This is a pointless discussion, Hooper didn't even throw the dirt in his face. However, I can quite comfortably say that if he had thrown it, there was absolutely no risk in regards to Haskell going blind. I've gotten dirt/sand in my eyes before, as I'm sure have most of us, and nothing's come of it. Saying he could've gone blind is ridiculous. I'm also sure that Haskell would've closed his eyes when he saw it going towards his face.

In this hypothetical situation, there would be 0 punishment needed. I agree with the game being safe, but there's no point punishing scrum tactics if they aren't dangerous. Which that wasn't. Simply Hooper trying to get 1 up on his opponent.

You can loose you sight, just talk to an optician, maybe the one sitting next to me. Or maybe my grandfather who was blind in one eye.

Take your pick but remember the eye is really fragile.

Edit: bye I don't think hooper actually did anything watching the other video angle.

Having reflected on the game I do think Hooper is overrated. Yes he's great lining up with the backs etc but when a game has real forward venom in it he's a bit of a laughing clown and was completely out played on Saturday and the week before. The Aussie's really miss some dog forwards and Hooper would appear to be a luxury player

His performance does seem to gravitate around that of the rest of the Australian pack. He isn't like some back row players who can literally carry their team's breakdown effort on his shoulders. When the Australian pack are being pushed around then so does Hooper and even Pocock as well...

- - - Updated - - -

What about after you concede 2/3 free kicks it turns into a penalty and a warning. After that a card is given.

Perhaps we should trial the new rules that are in PRO Rugby. No penalties, only free kicks and no more than two resets regardless of whats happening after which the referee has to make a call.

Its worked well so far and has made for some really exciting games. American Rugby appears to be taking a more Super Rugby approach to how games pan out it seems...

He's a centre in the back row. Simple as. Carries hard and fast, makes big tackles but his work rate is no where near most international back rowers and he never hits rucks. When you also factor in that he offers nothing at the lineout it makes you wonder if when Pocock gets back, Hooper should still be in the XV. If I was Cheika I'd be seriously considering 6. Fardy 7. Pocock 8. McMahon with Hooper on the bench.

His performance does seem to gravitate around that of the rest of the Australian pack. He isn't like some back row players who can literally carry their team's breakdown effort on his shoulders. When the Australian pack are being pushed around then so does Hooper and even Pocock as well...

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps we should trial the new rules that are in PRO Rugby. No penalties, only free kicks and no more than two resets regardless of whats happening after which the referee has to make a call.

Its worked well so far and has made for some really exciting games. American Rugby appears to be taking a more Super Rugby approach to how games pan out it seems...

No just NO!

Jones is going to be resting some players according to the papers - up to 5 changes apparently.

Good, IMO.

The Telegraph reporting Haskell, Brown, Cole, Robshaw and possibly Hartley will be rested. They say Jamie George, Paul Hill, Launchbury, Lawes, Clifford and Goode should all be in contention. With Yarde on stand by if Nowell can't make it.

So I guess with get Mako, George, Hill, Lawes, Launch, Itoje, Clifford, Billy, Youngs, Ford, Yarde, Farrell, JJ, Watson and Goode.

Last edited:
Jones is going to be resting some players according to the papers - up to 5 changes apparently.

Good, IMO.

Well Nowell and Haskell are 2 of them. My guesses after that would be Kruis, JJ and Mako. I would've said Brown had Nowell not been injured. Yarde in for Nowell, Clifford for Haskell, Lawes for Kruis, Daly for JJ, Mullan for Mako.

wouldn't mind
1) Mullan
2) George
3) Hill
4) Launchbury
5) Lawes
6) Itoje
7) Harrison
8) Vunipola
9) Youngs
10) Ford
11) Yarde
12) Faz
13) JJ
14) Watson
15) Goode (Ewwww)

16) Cowan-Dickie
17) Genge
18) Sinkler
19) Kruis
20) Clifford
21) Care
22) Slade
23) T'eo/Daly

Would prob get rekt though.

Last edited:
I want to see Harrison get game time, but starting him at 7 probably isn't the best way to go about it. Also, that tight 5 would be dominated, even by Australia. Hill simply isn't big enough to be an international THP yet. Personally I'd like to see Slade in the 22 shirt, with Daly at FB. Goode's just not worth putting out, the risk is higher than the reward.

I really want to see some of the new players involved but making all those changes, against (presumably) a VERY fired up Aussie side could spell disaster.
Still, Jones seems to know what he's doing so far so I'll just go with whatever he says (apart form started Goode at 15 - can't we put Clifford there or something? :p )

Jones probably knows a fired up Aussie side will beat yous even if yous had all your best players on. So maybe he's pulling them off as an excuse if you guys lose, if yous win then it's seen as Jones is so good. It's a win win look for Eddie spaghetti

Jones probably knows a fired up Aussie side will beat yous even if yous had all your best players on. So maybe he's pulling them off as an excuse if you guys lose, if yous win then it's seen as Jones is so good. It's a win win look for Eddie spaghetti

I can't see them being that fired up. After 2 games lost, I can really see them going out with a mentality of "ah f*** it." It may be quite the opposite, but no one in the Oz team strikes me as having that much heart.

Shame they couldn't get fired up before, eh?

Don't pretend it's some Jones trickery that's made this situation into a win-win for England, they thrashed Australia in the first and second tests and now get to sit back and relax. That's the nature of a three test series.

I really want to see some of the new players involved but making all those changes, against (presumably) a VERY fired up Aussie side could spell disaster.
Still, Jones seems to know what he's doing so far so I'll just go with whatever he says (apart form started Goode at 15 - can't we put Clifford there or something? :p )

They've been fired up two tests in a row. Hasn't made a difference because they've been dumber than rocks and had their flankers out wide rather than doing ball security.

I'm not writing off the prospect of a bad last match but the reality is unless they change something, I'm not sure how fired up they are matters.

Shame they couldn't get fired up before, eh?

Don't pretend it's some Jones trickery that's made this situation into a win-win for England, they thrashed Australia in the first and second tests and now get to sit back and relax. That's the nature of a three test series.

Ohh I sense some anger in you Anikin. Give into the dark side of the...forum.

I'm just guessing the upside for EDDIE JONES and what's in it for him in regards to resting regular players within your team. Anytime a coach rests players, surely you got to wonder beyond what you've been told. It's a fair distance to travel to...rest.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't see them being that fired up. After 2 games lost, I can really see them going out with a mentality of "ah f*** it." It may be quite the opposite, but no one in the Oz team strikes me as having that much heart.

Yeah my post was mainly about Jones decision to rest players. Yous got have stopped at the part of my post about yous losing to a fired up Aussie side.

I agree that yous have on both occasions beaten a fired up Aussie side but there's another one to come HAHA. The games have been quite tight for most of the 2 matches despite the score board. I've seen enough from Australia to think they can win the next game. England's been better the past 2 games no doubt but can Aussie win, again no doubt.

So, Englishmen. Is Eddie the new king of England?

Latest posts