• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: Australia vs. England [3rd Test] (25/06/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Australia.png
Versus%20Pro%20D2.png
England.png

Venue: Allianz Stadium, Sydney
Time: 12:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

England team to play Australia - Thoughts?
1. Mako 2. Hartley 3. Cole 4. Kruis 5. Itoje 6. Robshaw 7. Clifford 8. Billy 9. Youngs 10. Ford 11. Watson 12. Farrell 13. Daley 14. Yarde 15. Brown

Hask and Nowell apparently out, maybe give Daley a run out..

I would expect one of Launch/Lawes to start, probably for Kruis. Would've thought Itoje might get a run out at 6 but with Haskell out I don't think EJ will switch out both flankers.
Not sure Daly will get the start, EJ doesn't seem the type to make changes for changes sake, even if he's hinted at making a few for this game.

I would love to see Goode given a chance, if he plays badly that's it he doesn't play for England again, if he plays well then that's good, if not we know conclusively he can't hack it. Brown hasn't played that well and Goode was on fire (your defense is terrified) coming into the tour

England team to play Australia - Thoughts?
1. Mako 2. Hartley 3. Cole 4. Kruis 5. Itoje 6. Robshaw 7. Clifford 8. Billy 9. Youngs 10. Ford 11. Watson 12. Farrell 13. Daley 14. Yarde 15. Brown

Hask and Nowell apparently out, maybe give Daley a run out..

I reckon Mako and Kruis will get rested. I'd like Daly to get a run out, but it won't happen.

1. MVunipola
2. Hartley (c)
3. Cole
4. Lawes
5. Itoje
6. Robshaw
7. Clifford
8. BVunipola

9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Watson
12. Farrell
13. Joseph
14. Yarde
15. Brown/Goode

16. George; 17. Mullen; 18. Hill; 19. Launchbury; 20. Harrison
21. Care; 22. Slade; 23. Daly

Haskell and Nowell are out injured - and I don't think we'll see more than 4 changes total.
I'd be expecting both props to be replaced pretty early in the 2nd half; so need players who are already ready on the bench.
Lawes > Launch so that someone can call the lineout. I still prefer Launch to Lawes; but consensus seems to be that Launch&Itoje might not work too well together.
Robshaw and Billy really need a rest too, but it's too important an area to throw on even 2 changes to start.
Care is no better than Youngs; so not worth the disruption.
I'd like to experiment with Slade at 12 (probably alongside Farrell) - but don't think Eddie wants to take that risk just now; JJ really hasn't played as badly as often made out.
I'd like to replace Brown, and Goode is our only option there now - Goode appears to have fixed his biggest weakness, so I'm happy to give him another shot (in a dead rubber); but not sure that I'm happy changing 2 of the back 3 at the same time. Certainly want Daly to get some decent game-time; so it's probably Slade getting <10 minutes as you can't empty your bench too early in case of injuries.

Id like to see slade given a run off the bench. clifford to start and obv yarde seen as hask and nowell are out. But not many more changes maybe launch in kruis on bench but not many others . Thoughts

How will loosing hask effect the team given he's found his form finally? :)

Id like to see slade given a run off the bench. clifford to start and obv yarde seen as hask and nowell are out. But not many more changes maybe launch in kruis on bench but not many others . Thoughts

How will loosing hask effect the team given he's found his form finally? :)

Last week I noticed the speed of our defensive line get significantly slower once Hask went off. I would've thought that'll translate through to this game, and our defence won't be nearly as effective.

I'd quite like to see Harrison brought in for Haskell, to be honest.
I like Clifford but I think Harrison is the best replacement for (newly on form) Haskell, and is the stronger/more ferocious player of the two. Clifford is an excellent carrier in his own rights, but in a pack that is a bit lacking in hard carriers Harrison would help a lot.

I'd quite like to see Harrison brought in for Haskell, to be honest.
I like Clifford but I think Harrison is the best replacement for (newly on form) Haskell, and is the stronger/more ferocious player of the two. Clifford is an excellent carrier in his own rights, but in a pack that is a bit lacking in hard carriers Harrison would help a lot.

Spot on. Clifford's always struck me as a bit too "clean" for lack of a better word. He never seems to do anything with any aggression, whether that be in defence or with ball in hand, and I don't think that style of play suits this England side. I'd like to see Harrison in, but I can't see it happening.

If the stats stay the same as last week, with Aussies having a load of possession and territory, then I think Aussie will win. Subconsciously the English won't defend as hard as they did last week having already won the test series.

In saying that, I think Jones is a far superior coach to Cheika and probably knows it will be tough to pull off another victory in last weeks style, so might aim to play a more possession ball in hand running game. Which isn't such a bad idea with Pocock out. I really don't rate Australia's defense either.

How many changes are there likely to be? I'd say 3 max, probably two in the pack and one in the backs.

I'd like to see Brown dropped, although not for Gooode. Watson or Nowell to FB and Yarde onto the wing would be interesting.

Like to see Itoje on the flank, possibly in place of Haskell (is Hask injured?). I don't see him as a true 7, but then neither is Hask.

Daly to get some time off the bench. Think I'd go for:

1. Mako
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Launch
5. Kruis
6. Itoje
7. Haskell
8. Billy
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Yarde
12. Farrell
13. JJ
14. Nowell
15. Watson

How many changes are there likely to be? I'd say 3 max, probably two in the pack and one in the backs.

I'd like to see Brown dropped, although not for Gooode. Watson or Nowell to FB and Yarde onto the wing would be interesting.

Like to see Itoje on the flank, possibly in place of Haskell (is Hask injured?). I don't see him as a true 7, but then neither is Hask.

Daly to get some time off the bench. Think I'd go for:

1. Mako
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Launch
5. Kruis
6. Itoje
7. Haskell
8. Billy
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Yarde
12. Farrell
13. JJ
14. Nowell
15. Watson

Both Haskell and Nowell are injured.

I'd love to see an Aus back line of:
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Lilly
13. Kerevi
14. Kuridrani
15. Folau

Both Haskell and Nowell are injured.

Ah. Reckon EJ won't make more than one chance in either back row or back three then, quite possibly Yarde and A.N.Flanker to be the only changes. Clifford is ahead of Harrison in the pecking order although personally I'd be a bit worried about Clifford's defensive anonymity last time out.

In all honesty I wouldn't have been surprised, barring injury, if Jones had named an unchanged side. He really does seem serious about going for 3-0, and I have to say I'm on board. There'll be time for resting, let's put our foot on the throat and stamp, that's the attitude I think EJ wants from his team and I'm happy to see him push the players hard to instil it in themselves.

Harrison will start according to the guardian.

Straight swap for Haskell I assume?

Not my prediction, probably my slight preference although no strong feelings.

Edit: wait, Clifford played 8 against Wales didn't he? For some reason thought he was at 7, hence assuming he'd be first in line to replace Hask.

Last edited:
The papers haven't nailed it once since Jones started though.

Straight swap for Haskell I assume?

Not my prediction, probably my slight preference although no strong feelings.

Edit: wait, Clifford played 8 against Wales didn't he? For some reason thought he was at 7, hence assuming he'd be first in line to replace Hask.

All but 1 of his caps have been at 7. Although he plays most of his rugby at 8, he is fully capable of playing 6 and 7, so could comfortably start at 7 for Hask. I'd prefer Teimana though.

Latest posts