• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 3 - England vs. Argentina (05/10/2019)

Ah, finally some on-topic things to discuss in between the ad-hominems and off-topic stuff.

1) Not a generalisation. Was actually tongue-in-cheek re-meming of the one usually aimed at English because it is a bit arrogant to say England are boring and stating it will play into Argentina's hands, especially as this England side are one of the more entertaining sides to watch in world rugby. He knows because he played for Worcester and England always play the same, boring way throughout history? Come on now. If you're really upset about this I can happily rephrase and say he's talking absolute poop.

2) Are you Creevy? He could maybe, at a push, claim plausible deniability through ignorance but I would say that's disingenuous as hell and continue to call a spade a spade. Clearly his words have acted as a rallying call to arms, which doesn't align with protestations of innocence.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say that purely in terms of ball carriers we're the most stacked Tier 1 nation this WC, although SA are very close runners up. I say Tier 1 because Fiji gonna Fiji.

I saw an analysis and it showed that England have the most even distribution of ball carrying between positions among pretty much any team in the world. Theoretically that should help reduce fatigue although we can't seem to fully exploit it.

I saw an analysis and it showed that England have the most even distribution of ball carrying between positions among pretty much any team in the world. Theoretically that should help reduce fatigue although we can't seem to fully exploit it.
Have you got a link to this?

Very cool statistic.

I'll just leave this by here... :)

View attachment 7573
That is **** stirring of the highest order, I commend you

Re: the game (boring I know), what do we know about this Urdapilleta guy? He's almost as old as me but only has 12 more international points, I'd never heard of him until I'd seen the lineups. Is he the man to take the reigns in a crucial World Cup match?

Re: the game (boring I know), what do we know about this Urdapilleta guy? He's almost as old as me but only has 12 more international points, I'd never heard of him until I'd seen the lineups. Is he the man to take the reigns in a crucial World Cup match?
You've got 31 international points?

England should put Argentina away with a degree of comfort I imagine. Don't think their backline will be able to handle Manu, or the bombs from Farrel/Ford.

Forwards battle should be good but definitely prefer England's pack.

England by 14 is my guess.

England should put Argentina away with a degree of comfort I imagine. Don't think their backline will be able to handle Manu, or the bombs from Farrel/Ford.

Forwards battle should be good but definitely prefer England's pack.

England by 14 is my guess.

That's a good point, and kicks from SH. May and Watson are excellent in the air, and we keep going on about Watson playing FB as he's better in the air, but really the kick chase is such a huge part of the attacking game for a lot of teams (and an 'out ball' too), and we've got 2 great wingers who can chase and put pressure on the Argentina wide men and FB

No Sanchez on the bench either, only Lucas Mensa who I know nothing about. Wiki lists him as a centre.

Wikipedia reveals he couldn't get a game for Harlequins early on, then won the pro D2 in his first season in France.

10 points a game in the top 14 over seven seasons, first for Oyannaux and then for Castres. Explains why he doesn't get picked for the Pumas between world cups despite kicking Castres through the 2018 playoffs. 40 points in the 3 knockout games the year they won.

So it's not a bad cv. Never seen him play but I would get he is there to be a stable hand and kick points.

There was a lot of positivity when Ledesma took over however Argentina's poor performances have continued. They have a number of top quality, bruising forwards in the pack however their pack struggles to dominate games and sometimes to just compete! In the backs they have some dangerous back three players but they struggle to use them effectively. You have to ask that is just having one SR team benefiting them? I know they are now picking a few more foreign based players but results haven't improved.

You've got 31 international points?
I meant caps. Proofreading ETR, proofreading.

I have played cricket against an international team FWIW. No runs or wickets though
No Sanchez on the bench either, only Lucas Mensa who I know nothing about. Wiki lists him as a centre.
Wikipedia reveals he couldn't get a game for Harlequins early on, then won the pro D2 in his first season in France.

10 points a game in the top 14 over seven seasons, first for Oyannaux and then for Castres. Explains why he doesn't get picked for the Pumas between world cups despite kicking Castres through the 2018 playoffs. 40 points in the 3 knockout games the year they won.

So it's not a bad cv. Never seen him play but I would get he is there to be a stable hand and kick points.
Doesn't sound like a candidate screaming to be picked over the incumbent and a (formerly) world class player, even if seriously off form.

Was this bulgaria against turkey or some such? I love those stories
It was my bog standard amateur league cricket team against Japan. They were on their way to a Tier 3 nations tournament, they stopped off to play us as a warmup game as their captain was a half Irish half Japanese who had used to play for us. For the native Japanese players (about half the team), it was their first time playing on a grass wicket.

We won

Latest posts