• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

Personally not a fan of the NZ selection. I flat out dont like Goodhue and by having the most explosive 10 in the world playing fullback (where they will get less touches) and the dynamic Coles on the bench I feel there is a real lack of flair overall to unlock a top European defence. Really, missing the X factor of Reiko.

Ireland selection about their best possible despite my personal issue with the age of a couple of the guys. They are still underdogs but I really want to pick them here on the condition that Sexton is healthy. Going out on a limb here.

Ireland by 9

Personally not a fan of the NZ selection. I flat out dont like Goodhue and by having the most explosive 10 in the world playing fullback (where they will get less touches) and the dynamic Coles on the bench I feel there is a real lack of flair overall to unlock a top European defence. Really, missing the X factor of Reiko.

Ireland selection about their best possible despite my personal issue with the age of a couple of the guys. They are still underdogs but I really want to pick them here on the condition that Sexton is healthy. Going out on a limb here.

Ireland by 9
Yuuuuuuup ya boy ya!

God I hope you're right, NZ line up doesn't scare me massively if we have a good plan for the dual playmakers. I reckon it'll come down to how our backrow does on the day, NZ are considerably stronger there, Conan's and Leavy's injuries have left us in that place where we're no use without a bit of pashun...

With our best defensive backs all out there I think we can contain NZ reasonably effectively.

My gut still tells me we're in for a right dickin thoough.

Not a huge fan of the Goodhue selection either, seems strange to move Lienert Brown in when he has been playing so well @ 13.

Apart from that I am happy with the team selection

I honestly respect the Irish team, and think they can beat the AB's on their day. They could potentially win on the weekend, its not out of the realm of possibilities.
No chance they come in under the radar, they have been identified as a huge threat.

I actually think the Ireland team and Irish fans would be far less chipper about their chances if they were playing Argentina.
They would be claiming underdog status LOL. So it kind of irks me they are so bullish with their poor history.

Personally if it came down to it, I'd rather a guaranteed win against the Irish and have no chance of winning the World cup, than 90% chance of losing to the Irish and a 10% chance of winning the world cup LOL.

Sending the Irish home would be very sweet, its actually all I want to see. The rest of the cup would be a bonus, don't really care after tbh.

The Goodhue selection is... And why no Ben Smith... Honestly I just wish Hansen had left Ioane at the position he wanted to play. Such a waste.

Beauden at 10, Ben Smith on the wing. Ryan Crotty at center. That would've scared Ireland i think.

Beauden at 10, Ben Smith on the wing. Ryan Crotty at center. That would've scared Ireland i think.

Who's playing fullback?

We coulda had

10. Barrett/Mo'unga
11. Reece
12. Laumape
13. Rieko Ioane
14. Nehe Milner-Skudder
15. Ben Smith/Damien McKenzie

I just wish this was the semi or final rather than a QF, If we loose i'll be backing Ireland (with a soft spot for Japan), Rugby could do with a new world champ just as much as a threepeat

Knowing the winner of this will likely have to play England just to make the final is depressing

The Goodhue selection is... And why no Ben Smith... Honestly I just wish Hansen had left Ioane at the position he wanted to play. Such a waste.

It is definitely time to move him to 13 and leave him there for good. Could be like Tana was, just with way more gas.

It is definitely time to move him to 13 and leave him there for good. Could be like Tana was, just with way more gas.
Dont even get me started man, seriously. He got put on the wing because he was one of the fastest players in World Rugby... He wanted to play centre, we lost Conrad and Nonu... We had 4 years...

Dont even get me started man, seriously. He got put on the wing because he was one of the fastest players in World Rugby... He wanted to play centre, we lost Conrad and Nonu... We had 4 years...
i didn't know thats where he prefers to play, just seemed made for the wing

Yep... playing for the Blues has not helped him either. I imagine at any other franchise with any stability he could have owned the 13 shirt.

Beauden is more dangerous at 15 with more time and space to work with. Bender's age is catching up with him but I'd have rather had him on the bench than Jordie Barrett (whose also covering 10 it seems). The Goodhue selection is most baffling as others have mentioned. I'd have had Crotty/ALB.

Tough call for Rieko as well. Just one bad game and all of a sudden he's way down the pecking order.

All in all though, still confident of an AB win. Forward pack looking solid, Retallick will make a difference. And if Ireland underestimate the likes of Mo'unga, Bridge and Reece, all the better.

I'm worried Steve and Ian Foster have failed to acknowledge that Jordie can't play under pressure.

Really odd from Steve Hansen to tout him as a potential match winner with drop goals and penalties via the media conference!. Steve seems to be putting his eggs into one/two baskets - I think that's a clear sign he's lost his "mind games" with Joe. Also, Steve and Foster's interactions with the media were abrasive and defensive and to be honest, pretty insecure. I think Schmidt has well and truly got into Steve's head the last few years.

Latest posts