• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

I'm worried Steve and Ian Foster have failed to acknowledge that Jordie can't play under pressure.

Really odd from Steve Hansen to tout him as a potential match winner with drop goals and penalties via the media conference!. Steve seems to be putting his eggs into one/two baskets - I think that's a clear sign he's lost his "mind games" with Joe. Also, Steve and Foster's interactions with the media were abrasive and defensive and to be honest, pretty insecure. I think Schmidt has well and truly got into Steve's head the last few years.
Neither can Beauden. But at least he's not running the show until the 60-something minute.

I agree with the general consensus, particularly about Jordie, but we have to remember that we actually know very little about what's going on behind closed doors.

This will sound naive but it was a bit of an eye opener for me this year when Squire removed himself from AB selection, I just assumed if you were selected you had to play, like being drafted into a war.

As far as we know Bender put his hand up this week and said I'm not feeling it this game boys, I think Jordie (spew in my mouth) is the man for the job (swallow mouth spew).

We hear a lot about All Blacks culture and leaving your ego at the door, maybe more of that goes into selection than we realise. Not to mention who is better at implementing whatever game plan they are striving for.

And since I've been drinking I'll get controversial, it's easy for me to see the likes of Crotty or Bender sitting one out for the benefit of the team as opposed to someone like Reiko who I think would trade a hat trick in a losing final to not being selected at all in a winning team. Sorry that's harsh on him, I don't know him that's probably not true but kinda helps illustrate my point about the mentality of the team as a whole

I agree with the general consensus, particularly about Jordie, but we have to remember that we actually know very little about what's going on behind closed doors.

This will sound naive but it was a bit of an eye opener for me this year when Squire removed himself from AB selection, I just assumed if you were selected you had to play, like being drafted into a war.

As far as we know Bender put his hand up this week and said I'm not feeling it this game boys, I think Jordie (spew in my mouth) is the man for the job (swallow mouth spew).

We hear a lot about All Blacks culture and leaving your ego at the door, maybe more of that goes into selection than we realise. Not to mention who is better at implementing whatever game plan they are striving for.

And since I've been drinking I'll get controversial, it's easy for me to see the likes of Crotty or Bender sitting one out for the benefit of the team as opposed to someone like Reiko who I think would trade a hat trick in a losing final to not being selected at all in a winning team. Sorry that's harsh on him, I don't know him that's probably not true but kinda helps illustrate my point about the mentality of the team as a whole
some good points

Its one of those things...if we win..genius call and we have bender and crotty at 100% for the semi if needed.....if we loose....

I feel there is a real lack of flair overall to unlock a top European defence. Really, missing the X factor of Reiko.
Respectfully I disagree. The New Zealanders has been calling for Rieko to be dropped before the World Cup because he looked lethargic, uninterested and out of form. The choice to put Reece and Bridge in the squad was a good one from Hansen. This is where the NZ are better than us South Africans in dropping a out of form player which has built up a huge reputation. Bridge and Reece has been fire they are the Crusaders wings with the worlds best flyhalf completing the back three. Did you read that correctly? The Crusaders wings....the same ones who destroyed Super rugby sides all year and now they have Beauden with them.

Don't think for a second that NZ won't be able to unlock the Irish defense, rather ask how the Irish can outscore NZ
Ireland will need to breach 30 points scored if they are going to win this game

The Goodhue selection is... And why no Ben Smith... Honestly I just wish Hansen had left Ioane at the position he wanted to play. Such a waste.
Bun Smuth is slow and old. He and Rieko lost their positions after the loss to the Wallabies. Both Bridge and Sevu* absolutely destroyed the Wallabies the week after. And that's that.

*this bloke is a disgrace

Bun Smuth is slow and old. He and Rieko lost their positions after the loss to the Wallabies. Both Bridge and Sevu* absolutely destroyed the Wallabies the week after. And that's that.

shut ya mouth or my dad will beat up your dad

*There was a bit of a tussle in one of the World Cup games and Sevu got angry and wanted to join in but someone held him back. He wasn't even involved, had no reason to join. Boy was it ugly, send shivers down my spine and made me think he hasn't worked on his issues and the crusaders haven't helped him.

Last edited:
Respectfully I disagree. The New Zealanders has been calling for Rieko to be dropped before the World Cup because he looked lethargic, uninterested and out of form. The choice to put Reece and Bridge in the squad was a good one from Hansen. This is where the NZ are better than us South Africans in dropping a out of form player which has built up a huge reputation. Bridge and Reece has been fire they are the Crusaders wings with the worlds best flyhalf completing the back three. Did you read that correctly? The Crusaders wings....the same ones who destroyed Super rugby sides all year and now they have Beauden with them.

Don't think for a second that NZ won't be able to unlock the Irish defense, rather ask how the Irish can outscore NZ
Ireland will need to breach 30 points scored if they are going to win this game
Ireland have a far better defence than any super rugby side, NZ scored 9 against them last year, SA have held them to under 30 twice this year and Australia have once. There's no reason to rule out a low scoring game.

I'm worried Steve and Ian Foster have failed to acknowledge that Jordie can't play under pressure.

Really odd from Steve Hansen to tout him as a potential match winner with drop goals and penalties via the media conference!. Steve seems to be putting his eggs into one/two baskets - I think that's a clear sign he's lost his "mind games" with Joe. Also, Steve and Foster's interactions with the media were abrasive and defensive and to be honest, pretty insecure. I think Schmidt has well and truly got into Steve's head the last few years.
They obviously don't agree with you or else they wouldn't have selected him.

Hansen and Fozz have never been a box of birds but it's clear they are wounded from the Irish defeats. They aren't always happy when we win, so those losses have hurt bad.

I don't know how you read that as showing signs of insecurity? But I agree that Ireland are firmly in their thoughts.

I don't think they are insecure at all. I think they offended that people think this is a genuine 50/50.

Those losses have bruised their egos and now they have a point to prove.

I am stoked they are taking this game so seriously.
I think they want to get some serious revenge.

I also think Ireland are almost bluffing their confidence and the QF hoodoo plus a fired up ABs will be far too much for them. Not that they don't believe they can win, but they are acting like the QF hoodoo isn't a thing. It clearly is a thing.

The Boks came razor close to knocking us over in 2015 but we almost wrote them off after Japan loss.

A bit of arrogance on our part but the Irish haven't had that luck.

Despite the bang average 2019 they are a team we seriously want to beat. We want to punish them.

So basically if Ireland win this, it will be more significant and far far more damaging to the ABs psyche.

I won't be surprised if we whoop Ireland this week and lose next week. I think we will be putting mega effort in this week. Next week we might not have the same energy, I'd say that for the Irish too.

Whoever wins this game is going to be battered and bruised for sure.

I'm watching all blacks ireland 2013. Biggest takeaway so far is that aaron smith really was so much better back then

They obviously don't agree with you or else they wouldn't have selected him.

Hansen and Fozz have never been a box of birds but it's clear they are wounded from the Irish defeats. They aren't always happy when we win, so those losses have hurt bad.

I don't know how you read that as showing signs of insecurity? But I agree that Ireland are firmly in their thoughts.

I don't think they are insecure at all. I think they offended that people think this is a genuine 50/50.

Those losses have bruised their egos and now they have a point to prove.

I am stoked they are taking this game so seriously.
I think they want to get some serious revenge.

I also think Ireland are almost bluffing their confidence and the QF hoodoo plus a fired up ABs will be far too much for them. Not that they don't believe they can win, but they are acting like the QF hoodoo isn't a thing. It clearly is a thing.

The Boks came razor close to knocking us over in 2015 but we almost wrote them off after Japan loss.

A bit of arrogance on our part but the Irish haven't had that luck.

Despite the bang average 2019 they are a team we seriously want to beat. We want to punish them.

So basically if Ireland win this, it will be more significant and far far more damaging to the ABs psyche.

I won't be surprised if we whoop Ireland this week and lose next week. I think we will be putting mega effort in this week. Next week we might not have the same energy, I'd say that for the Irish too.

Whoever wins this game is going to be battered and bruised for sure.

That's a good take, but Foster and Steve are squirming like they did around the Lions series when they were last under pressure, you can see it and it reflects in their selections. This isn't a bottle job, but the team has cast doubt into the fans minds and more belief into the Irish camp.

Someone also mentioned about seeing things in training with certain players. I think this can obviously be an advantage and a disadvantage. We as fans purely look at the players performance on the match day and if they played good or not in it's simple form. Coaches can get caught up in the nitpicks of the performance and if they did this small thing or not. I genuinely believe Jordie is a favouritism selection as well and not there on any sort of real merit.

I'm watching all blacks ireland 2013. Biggest takeaway so far is that aaron smith really was so much better back then

Aaron Smith still has the best pass in world rugby. People who call for TJ to start are in the wrong here big time. I actually think TJ has been killing our momentum in games in the last 4 years, his passing isn't accurate and quick enough, also his decision making has become very questionable! We should keep Aaron on for longer when we need to be clinical and accurate.

Aaron Smith still has the best pass in world rugby. People who call for TJ to start are in the wrong here big time. I actually think TJ has been killing our momentum in games in the last 4 years, his passing isn't accurate and quick enough, also his decision making has become very questionable! We should keep Aaron on for longer when we need to be clinical and accurate.

Agreed on TJ. I'd love Smith to go back to that style of getting to rucks quickly and clearing it quickly, he mucks around too much these days (still has an awesome pass).

As an aside, remember the first game in the Lions series where we went through the forwards and went blindside a lot to negate the rush defence? That was one of the better games we have played in the last couple years. What is weird is that we have never really played that way since. Hopefully they dust a little bit of that off tomorrow.

Agreed on TJ. I'd love Smith to go back to that style of getting to rucks quickly and clearing it quickly, he mucks around too much these days (still has an awesome pass).

As an aside, remember the first game in the Lions series where we went through the forwards and went blindside a lot to negate the rush defence? That was one of the better games we have played in the last couple years. What is weird is that we have never really played that way since. Hopefully they dust a little bit of that off tomorrow.

Oh yeah! A.Smith was playing that way under Jamie Joseph at the Highlanders. Joseph now has the Japanese scrum halves playing in the exact same way to great effect.

I think Smith has had an unsettled backline to work with past few seasons, the continuity hasn't been there and the leaders calling the shots in the backline. He's sometimes disagreed with how the backline was set on a number of occasions and not gone with the pass or play.

Oh yeah! A.Smith was playing that way under Jamie Joseph at the Highlanders. Joseph now has the Japanese scrum halves playing in the exact same way to great effect.

I think Smith has had an unsettled backline to work with past few seasons, the continuity hasn't been there and the leaders calling the shots in the backline. He's sometimes disagreed with how the backline was set on a number of occasions and not gone with the pass or play.

So basically he was good up until he hung out in public bathrooms :p

Lads we all forgot Andy Farrell seems to have the All Blacks number consistently in recent years.
I expect a vicious Irish defensive game.
It's not going to be a nice game to watch but it will be fun

Lads we all forgot Andy Farrell seems to have the All Blacks number consistently in recent years.
I expect a vicious Irish defensive game.
It's not going to be a nice game to watch but it will be fun

I reckon we moved Barrett to fullback primarily because of Farrell's defence! We certainly didn't forget about the success it had.

I think we saw it against SA in the second half. First half they looked out of sorts initially but then went to the cross kick and it worked. Something Boomfa Marshall mentioned as well: you can't just use one strategy to combat the rush defence. You need multiple strategies, ideally implemented dynamically based on what exactly the opposition are doing phase by phase.

Latest posts