• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

Imagine preparing since June to play the biggest game of your life and produce what Jacob Stockdale produced today. I would be ashamed myself.

Congrats NZ btw. Looking forward to their game with England. It promises to be epic.

Realistically there isn't a huge amount else that Schmidt could have done. I can't think of another time when many world class players' forms have dropped so much over the course of a year.
It has to be something to do with the way he planned out the cycle... for there to be that kind of drop off.

Is it just knockout rugby, the pressure of it or the 8 weeks away from home, or limitations of 31 man squad. I got put my finger on why Ireland can't crack this quarter final hoodoo

Don't think resting had anything to do with it Ireland and Australia were ****. If there's anything Wales can take from this is don't play ****.

I disagree... you never know what could have happened with injuries.. suspensions etc etc. I wouldn't say it had NOTHING to do with it.
I was merely putting up a stat. Didn't think it was that controversial.

A bit surprising. The first time in a while the all blacks have led early against Ireland. It usually goes the out her way around. Ireland did not look good. And all those mistakes in the first half; you can't win if you knock the ball on every second time you touch it.

sorry Irish fans, that must have been a rough watch. Even when they didn't knock the ball on, no help from the ref, and having to come from behind was always going to be tough.

I know a lot of people like to think the World Cup is everything. It's not. It was a successful era overall for Ireland.

for the all blacks, I don't think we were great, unfortunately. Hopefully we still improve despite a big win.

Realistically there isn't a huge amount else that Schmidt could have done. I can't think of another time when so many world class players' forms have dropped so much over the course of a year.
There are legitimate gripes with some selections but would selecting Devin Toner and changing the backrow have bridged a 34 point gap between the teams today? I highly doubt it.

New Zealand were too good. Brilliant to watch how they tore Ireland's narrow defence apart.

Joe's mum took a turn for the worse at the end of last year when he decided not to renew his contract, she died just before the tournament. No man's work will be unaffected by this, he should have stood down but he needed the distraction, it's hard to take now but Joe's still one of the best and our best ever.

Is it just knockout rugby, the pressure of it or the 8 weeks away from home, or limitations of 31 man squad. I got put my finger on why Ireland can't crack this quarter final hoodoo
I know Champions Cup is very different to International Test match level but these players are used to winning knock-outs... I just think this is a clear case of peaking too soon. I know it's been something that has been 'discussed' this year but this is confirmation.

Ireland have been sub par all year. Relied way too much on Murray and Sexton, and just haven't looked like the 2017/2018 team we all got used to. I knew this would happen when England put 50 on them before the WC. Then Japan happened. The signs were ominous all year. They deserved better though, and so did Schmidt. Onwards and upwards I say, and let's hope they bounce back in the next 6N.

NZ were clinical, ruthless, and just plain excellent. I found it hilarious how people were comparing Japans game to the All Blacks. You can't compare anyone to the All Blacks. England have to do it now. Gonna be a cracker SF.

Latest posts