• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

Ireland XXIII

15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Iain Henderson
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Josh van der Flier
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Niall Scannell
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Andrew Porter
19. Tadhg Beirne
20. Rhys Ruddock
21. Luke McGrath
22. Joey Carbery
23. Jordan Larmour

Very happy with that. Throw in an uninjured Leavy and Conan and it's pretty much an entirely first choice XXIII. It's crazy to think this will be Sexton's FIRST TIME starting a WC knock-out match! Even if we lose, which I expect to, I'm confident we can put in our greatest performance of 2019. I've been waiting all year for a big game from the lads and it's never really materialised; instead it's been uninspiring wins and disappointing defeats. But this will be Joe's swansong, alongside a few of the players (Best - Kearney maybe? Sexton?) This team has oodles of experience, and Joe has been targeting this game, regardless of opposition, since November 2018. The sEcRet MoVeZ meme, will, I believe, become reality. I'm confident we can play a stormer, with a bit of luck and excellent discipline we could nick it. I think Ireland have been slowly bubbling along rather nicely in the pool stages. The loss to Japan sucked but I really don't believe Ireland played as bad as they've been made out to, and of course, Japan played an absolute blinder.

Dying with excitement here lads! Not even massively upset if we lose. What's yet another QF exit. It's a win-win really. Lose to the best team in the world and the heavy favourites, and it's no biggie. Disappointing but expected. Won't be anywhere near 2007/2011/2015 levels of disappointment. Win and well, it will be one of Irish rugby's greatest ever victories.

As much as people will ***** and moan about Schmidt selection. He doesn't change too much but well this is a dream scenario. In the long grass, expected to loose. I think we will sneak it. And I will put my head on line and call POM MOTM.
I think we will put on an Andy Farrell masterclass and it will ask New Zealand a different type of question than they've been asked so far in this RWC.
Of course they are no slouches and it will take our best performance of the last 4 years I feel but I think we have it.

So our 6 and our wings have been our worst backrow and back three players respectively so far this world cup. I'm definitely not as confident with that selection as others on here, if Ruddock gets on early-ish and we're still in the game I'll start getting excited, and Johnny needs to play 70mins.

So our 6 and our wings have been our worst backrow and back three players respectively so far this world cup. I'm definitely not as confident with that selection as others on here, if Ruddock gets on early-ish and we're still in the game I'll start getting excited, and Johnny needs to play 70mins.

You'd want him playing 80 wouldn't you?

Ignoring 2019 it's a great team, pretty sure that apart from the Toner - Henderson switch it's the team of 2018 that blew everyone's doors off. Saying that, they've had issues this year. I'm really struggling to get a 'feel' for how this game is going to finish. Both teams have been off their usual standards in 2019, both sides have been 'built' somewhat to counter the other... there's no doubt that Schmidt has dedicated a lot of his time identifying how to take down the All Blacks and I feel a fair bit of Hansen's tinkering this year (two playmakers, one at 10 & one at 15) has been to counter the Irish defensive structure (as well as similar defences like SA, Wales & England etc).

Also, I wouldn't say that the All Blacks selection is faultless. I rather Coles over Taylor and I don't feel the centre pair of ALB & Goodhue is anywhere near proven yet. I never thought I'd be thinking this after the Ireland vs Japan game but I'm actually starting to swing towards the paddies.

Again I wouldn't dispute Ruddock but he has been a bit overhyped for some reason. Had a look at his stats and there no reason to suggest the hype. As I said if he started I'd have no complaints but at same time iit's made out as he was a start player and a guaranteed starter for club or country for a prolonged time. Yes POM is very lucky and has been poor. Beirne is unlucky not to be at 6.
But for the exact reasons you have being praising Joe over these years when Rob K was off the boil or others is the reasons he has retained the guys.

I always like a settled known line up versus one that is playing newish combinations. Ireland look like they have the edge here. NZ not playing Crotty could come back to haunt them like 2007 when they played McAllister and Muliaina in the centres; not that ALB and Goodhue have not played 12/13 before.

But for the exact reasons you have being praising Joe over these years when Rob K was off the boil or others is the reasons he has retained the guys.
POM is playing because he can cover the backfield on his own and allow us play a 14 man press? Seems risky!

I've always thought Kearney was our best 15, right now I don't think POM is our best 6, experience and familiarity have never had anything to do with it.

Having the beli

It was a test match, stop being in denial.

I am not surprised by the Irish confidence though.

Imagine how big their heads would be if they had 3 world cups in the cabinet.

Can't even beat Japan and they are the greatest.

Living off the 2 out of 3, probably still live off it when it's 2 out of 20 lol
Yup, just looking for a rise... Good luck fella.

Hmmm, not so sure about the Air New Zealand Ireland safety video that they just released. I can see they're trying to raise the banter but comes across a little arrogant

I am leaning towards an emotional hedge on this match....will help to cover my bar tab for the week if NZ lose

POM is playing because he can cover the backfield on his own and allow us play a 14 man press? Seems risky!

I've always thought Kearney was our best 15, right now I don't think POM is our best 6, experience and familiarity have never had anything to do with it.

Yup, just looking for a rise... Good luck fella.
But equally you said and I quote back then - "It would be mad playing an inexperienced player at 15. Especially in games that matter."
And while POM may not be everybody choice and I've admitted he is lucky I just don't see how Ruddock is being seen as an answer when he played ok vs Japan. Not great. And very good vs Russia but I'm sure it's same back then if I said Simon Zebo deserved to be a 15 after a performance against Russia it would be thrown than he's not positionally up to it, it was only Russia etc. And stats show Ruddock actually did not do much different to POM as a 6 which would suggest the role of 6 in the team. Another thing that was thrown when it was accused Heaslip didn't do alot. And stats would suggest it leading to the famous "unseen work" line that was put out back then. And I'm not saying Heaslip did nothing. Quite the opposite. That the team I'm sure is picked on balance and the need of a lineout option there. Ruddock is not that. And neither is CJ or Van Der Flier. Based on ability I like many would believe POM is by far the best 6. Maybe not on current form. But I guess your answer on Kearney is the same. Back then Kearney was off form but you believed on ability. It's the same here.

And well if Schmidt and the coaching team are prepared to throw the game as it seems a few see it by playing 14 men then why bother watching or even supporting if it is a forgone conclusion already before a ball is kicked.

But equally you said and I quote back then - "It would be mad playing an inexperienced player at 15. Especially in games that matter."
And while POM may not be everybody choice and I've admitted he is lucky I just don't see how Ruddock is being seen as an answer when he played ok vs Japan. Not great. And very good vs Russia but I'm sure it's same back then if I said Simon Zebo deserved to be a 15 after a performance against Russia it would be thrown than he's not positionally up to it, it was only Russia etc. And stats show Ruddock actually did not do much different to POM as a 6 which would suggest the role of 6 in the team. Another thing that was thrown when it was accused Heaslip didn't do alot. And stats would suggest it leading to the famous "unseen work" line that was put out back then. And I'm not saying Heaslip did nothing. Quite the opposite. That the team I'm sure is picked on balance and the need of a lineout option there. Ruddock is not that. And neither is CJ or Van Der Flier.

And well if Schmidt and the coaching team are prepared to throw the game as it seems a few see it by playing 14 men then why bother watching or even supporting if it is a forgone conclusion already before a ball is kicked.
Ruddock's not inexperienced though. The way I'm seeing it is that in games we've lost this year POM has been absolutely anonymous. Now maybe you're right and he'll have his swansong like Heaslip, or I just don't understand his role like many with Kearney. Ultimately I don't agree that he should be there, I think Ruddock has been better all of 2019 and that Beirne is a better option too, but it's a decision that Joe will live and die by

The battle between NZ and Ireland has been an interesting one over the last few years, Sure Ireland have the 2 wins. But counting the fact none of the last 4 games have been in NZ and they have all been towards the end of the AB's test season when performances start to drop off a bit. The last game in NZ at a better time of the year the All Blacks layed on a thrashing.

I don't get this point here? This match is also not in NZ, one of the wins was in neutral ground and this is also towards the end of NZs season. That thrashing was also in 2012 so not super relevant to either team - it was still when they used 22 man squads! There's obviously loads of reasons NZ fans should think they can/will win but I'm not sure the above is super relevant.

Irish team as expected really, glad no Kleyn on the bench. Hopefully the bench is used properly because it's one thing I think Schmidt hasn't always been great at. I think NZ's dual playmaker system was at least partially implemented with our type of defence in mind, given the success Andy Farrell defences have had against them. It's easier to get around a blitz with your second playmaker not being in the centres. So will be interesting how we try and counteract that. It's a very mobile NZ team and despite our players leaning out and playing a bit looser in the group I expect us to focus on tight play this weekend.

Ruddock's not inexperienced though. The way I'm seeing it is that in games we've lost this year POM has been absolutely anonymous. Now maybe you're right and he'll have his swansong like Heaslip, or I just don't understand his role like many with Kearney. Ultimately I don't agree that he should be there, I think Ruddock has been better all of 2019 and that Beirne is a better option too, but it's a decision that Joe will live and die by
But he is inexperienced at this level hugely. As I said he has never solidified his spot for club or country. Yes there was stiff competition but he never has. His stats don't scream WOW. And on POM his role I think is clear. He is put wider as he is the lighter of the 3 backrows. He is more like the 7 than Van Der Flier in certain scenarios. And I get that you see Ruddock as the better player but I don't see it myself and guess it a 50/50 call. Add in as I said Ruddock is realistically not in the core of this squad and is in and out. I'd say Beirne is the best alternative to POM based on ability and what is needed in that role without upsetting the balance. But again that is the opinion of some again. But the same comments can be said for Henshaw, Stockdale, Earls, Best and Kearney. Kearney could have been under pressure more for Larmour and Conways performances rather than him being poor. But for the reasons you based Ruddock over POM then the rest have been lucky.
Henshaw can be considered very lucky and again is picked on ability when in top form. Not for. Farrell and Aki were playing better but on ability he is the best option.
The wings based on Conways form and Larmour.
Best has been statistically 1 of the worst hookers in the competition. But is picked for his leadership and experience.

As you say Joe made the big calls and hopefully they pay off.

Does anyone have a source that shows test caps against each player in the selected Irish team?

Latest posts