• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 3] Wales vs. France (20/10/2019)

Well we are in knockout stages now, it will be an exciting spectacle (hopefully) for everyone, but the rugby we play isn't the best. We have built our game plan around defense and hope to capitalise on opposition mistakes.
Don't get me wrong, Im loving it from a Welsh perspective of where we are, just hope we have a few tricks up our sleeves in case the gameplan isnt working. It's the best team we could have hoped to play in the 1/4s. I wouldn't even fancy Japan ATM the way they are playing
Yeah I've been saying this too, not that I'm saying we've already won it or anything like that... but when you weigh everything up I'd 'choose' to play France in a QF (out of the remaining teams).

Yeah I've been saying this too, not that I'm saying we've already won it or anything like that... but when you weigh everything up I'd 'choose' to play France in a QF (out of the remaining teams).

Pre tournament given those choices for the 1/4 final games I would of bitten your hand off for Japan . Not now though , maybe I underestimated the home advantage pre tournament and I never thought Japan would be this good but now I take France over Japan in the 1/4s

Well we are in knockout stages now, it will be an exciting spectacle (hopefully) for everyone, but the rugby we play isn't the best. We have built our game plan around defense and hope to capitalise on opposition mistakes.
Don't get me wrong, Im loving it from a Welsh perspective of where we are, just hope we have a few tricks up our sleeves in case the gameplan isnt working. It's the best team we could have hoped to play in the 1/4s. I wouldn't even fancy Japan ATM the way they are playing

What would you prefer ? To just be gun ho like Scotland and lose to the majority of tier 1 sides ? Gone are the days when champagne rugby won you test matches , what wins you matches is solid defences , great set piece, tactical nous and the ability to adapt also a bit of luck sometimes , otherwise Fiji would be world cup winners years ago. For sure we could be more creative and clinical with ball in hand but there are always things to work on , I just struggle with the boring slogan attached to Welsh rugby ATM because I just don't see it that way.

What would you prefer ? To just be gun ho like Scotland and lose to the majority of tier 1 sides ? Gone are the days when champagne rugby won you test matches , what wins you matches is solid defences , great set piece, tactical nous and the ability to adapt also a bit of luck sometimes , otherwise Fiji would be world cup winners years ago. For sure we could be more creative and clinical with ball in hand but there are always things to work on , I just struggle with the boring slogan attached to Welsh rugby ATM because I just don't see it that way.

Of course I would take winning bad over champagne rugby losing everyday.
I think I was just saying from an outside perspective I could agree how we are perceived as not being a keen game to watch. Its why we all (or most rugby fans) enjoy watching NZ play. They make it enjoyable.

This weekend winners I have: NZ, Eng, Wales, SA

Of course I would take winning bad over champagne rugby losing everyday.
I think I was just saying from an outside perspective I could agree how we are perceived as not being a keen game to watch. Its why we all (or most rugby fans) enjoy watching NZ play. They make it enjoyable.

This weekend winners I have: NZ, Eng, Wales, SA
We'd all love 240 minutes of 'The Try' on repeat for Wales to send Warren off in style but if it was offered to me now I would take 3 of the scrappiest 1 point victories the game has ever seen if it meant Wales lifted the cup.

For a team that supposedly play 'boring' rugby, we are sure in some thrilling nail biting games!

The thing is though, and it was heavily discussed prior to this tournament, that this will be the most evenly contested World Cup there has been. There were a few big results, which was against the minnows, which was expected. But there weren't any blowouts.

And a lot of games were all nailbiting affairs, even if it was for just 60 minutes or so. The contest has been great throughout, and now with the knockout, I think it will be even tougher.

More teams will go for the 3 points rather than the bonus point try. There is no need for bonus point tries anymore, the win is all that matters.

How is Dan Biggar cleared for this game?
He was out cold, that's a mandatory stand down isn't it?

He was faking it. When they did the test in the backroom, he did the Biggarena naked, and the little Japanese female doctor got soft him, while he got hard on her...

No Raka for France? Chose Huguet instead...

Who is Rattez in the 23 shirt?

Last edited:
These were my thoughts exactly. He was forced off with a head knock against Australia then out cold the next week. Were seeing red cards due to the seriousness of players taking head knocks, yet a player takes two huge knocks in consecutive games and he starts the quarter final? I hope we don't look back on this as hugely irresponsible in years to come

They were hardly going to care about safety for this game. Still, not as bad as the all blacks a couple of years ago who let Fifita play on for practically a whole game in a state of complete and obvious disarray.

It's only a mandatory stand down at lower levels where good medical care isn't always available. At pro level where the player get's the highest standard of care (scans etc), it's purely a case by case basis.

I have the upmost trust in the Welsh medics, they're some of the best in the world, and imo will 100% do what's right for the player. Not all head knocks = concussion, even if it looks bad. This is where it's important that each case is looked at in isolation e.g. Halfpenny missing 6 months after the Kerevi incident.

The Welsh people can be very proud of their team for having progressed so far under Gatland.

As for France, well, sometimes you have to check yourself in to the doctor to make sure your health is ok before watching a France match. I am still hoping though for a win. Fabien Galthié should have a trick or two to show Wales.

Wales: L Williams; North, Jonathan Davies, Parkes, Adams; Biggar, G Davies; Wyn Jones, Owens, Francis, Ball, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Wainwright, Navidi, Tipuric.

Replacements: E Dee, Carre, D Lewis, Beard, Moriarty, T Williams, Patchell, Watkin.

France: Medard; Penaud, Vakatawa, Fickou, Huget; Ntamack, Dupont; Poirot, Guirado (capt), Slimani, Le Roux, Vahaamahina, Lauret, Ollivon, Alldritt.

Replacements: Chat, Baille, Setiano, Gabrillagues, Picamoles, Serin, Lopez, Rattez.

edit. I had heard that DuPont and Penaud were struggling with injuries/****les this week, so interesting to see them both selected. If one or both of their issues flair up it could be a quick introduction for a Serin and Rattez.

Last edited:
It's only a mandatory stand down at lower levels where good medical care isn't always available. At pro level where the player get's the highest standard of care (scans etc), it's purely a case by case basis.

I have the upmost trust in the Welsh medics, they're some of the best in the world, and imo will 100% do what's right for the player. Not all head knocks = concussion, even if it looks bad. This is where it's important that each case is looked at in isolation e.g. Halfpenny missing 6 months after the Kerevi incident.
Hmm,
He had concussion the week before and was subsequently KOd.
You have way more faith in these medics than I do - these aren't independent Doctors (the independent doctors are the ones who refused to let him to continue playing).
Wales have two flyhalves, going into a big must win game, and Biggar is declared good to go?
Get me the tin foil cause something smells fishy.

Hmm,
He had concussion the week before and was subsequently KOd.
You have way more faith in these medics than I do - these aren't independent Doctors (the independent doctors are the ones who refused to let him to continue playing).
Wales have two flyhalves, going into a big must win game, and Biggar is declared good to go?
Get me the tin foil cause something smells fishy.
I get your point... and you may well have something too. But... a guy (warrior) like Biggar (& this is no praise nor sleight) would look to circumvent any protocols if that were possible in order to play a World Cup QF. Like I said I'm not praising him for doing so, nor having a pop at him for endangering his own mental health... at the end of the day that's his choice I guess, if (& it's a big if) these concussion protocols can be manipulated.

Latest posts