• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Semi-Final 1] England vs. New Zealand (26/10/2019)

EJ prob justmade it up as it doesnt have to be proven. Someone is spying on us, maybe just a fan.

What questions are the media now asking?

Are england prepared and which players arnt or are they asking was NZ spying on England? And will it make a difference. While England camp itself know full well.

With EJ there is always something to shift the media attention onto him or someyhing else and off the players, be it arguments and comments about the opposition coach or players.

How quickly would our opinions of Owens change if he sends off one of ours?

Is he though?

He has his own style of refereeing, but the guy is very clued in, and most importantly, communicates very clearly to the players about what he wants from them, while not allowing them to continually push boundaries
He also makes good decisions without needing a TMO, as well as being strong enough to overrule a TMO (needed when dealing with the likes of Ben Skeen, and Garces impressed me in this respect)
He gives a free flowing game, and yes attacking teams get some advantage at breakdown with him, as long as its not blatant, but thats the way the game should be played, if rucks were sorted to the letter of the law, I think we'd see teams really struggle to hold onto possession at all
So while his style may suit the all blacks and how they'll look to play, I think he's just behind Barnes as 2nd best ref in the world

Lol, not as good as he was because he has lost a yard or 15! of pace but to be fair he is one of the better/fair Refs if you stay onside with him that is.

It's no wonder Jones doesn't give a **** in the press conferences when journalists can report literally the opposite of what he says, just to help people who don't read past the headline post angry comments.

Thanks for that insinuation. The media didn't bring it up. Jones did. He didn't use those words, because he isn't an idiot. The article is poorly written, but the point is Jones brought it up, not the media. It's a funny little bit, so don't get your panties in a knot.

Is he though?
Yes,
Hate seeing him involved in games I watch, let alone games involving teams I support - he's far too interested in his witty one liners and being condescending to the players than actually reffing the game. Same when he's running touch, always wants to be the centre of things.

"He gives a free flowing game" is just code for "He refuses to penalise offences". If you're not going apply the laws of the game then hang the whistle up.

Interesting. I'd take Owens over Garces all day. But it does change the way the game will be played. Holding on / spoiling ball is much, much more difficult with Nigel Owens than possibly any other referee. However, he is alert to holding by those in attack which opens up the ruck area to swift contest for the ball. Garces just lets it sort itself out i.e. teams variously smash all the Jacklers out of the way regardless of how long it takes. I don't know whether Jerome's dictionary has a different definition of "immediately" but the sight of Pocock in perfect position with both hands on the ball getting smashed by at least 2 English ruck clearers was a graphic illustration of the Garces approach.

Undercurry will have their work cut out with Cane and Savea but it'll be a great contest.

Yes,
Hate seeing him involved in games I watch, let alone games involving teams I support - he's far too interested in his witty one liners and being condescending to the players than actually reffing the game. Same when he's running touch, always wants to be the centre of things.

"He gives a free flowing game" is just code for "He refuses to penalise offences". If you're not going apply the laws of the game then hang the whistle up.

I can see where you're coming from, but i mean he's a little more harsh on defensive illegalities that compromise the team with the ball, such as off feet at breakdown, delaying rolling away, and he's a bit better with offsides than most refs
The man can't help being witty, I've heard his stand up before actually, he's a funny guy when people were asking him questions, it's just his way of asserting his control on a game
And to be fair, there are times when refs should be more condescending, the likes of Michael Hooper just whine on and on, need to be told to shut up every once in a while
Assistant ref's dont just run touch anymore though, they are high quality referees intended to be a second and third pair of eyes for the Main ref, and as such communicating what you see as equals is useful. Im not sure you'd find many refs complaining about a little help from their touchies, they cant see everything that happens on the pitch
He's certainly not at the level of Skeen

Just remembered, if we lose we get to play Wales in the Bronze match ;) ;) :D
If we win we could end up playing them in the final. Wales are like England when we were on our winning streak. Won ugly for 18 games then fell off of a cliff. Might have 1 more win left in them. But on form they are screwed.

Nah pretty 'controversial' from an English perspective, Owens isn't the ref he was 5-6 years ago even that far back? Remember when he gave knock ons against us playing you even though it clearly went backwards?

I also feel England never get the rub of the green with him and all 50/50 calls go the opposition's way.

Lastly and most importantly his desire for a 'free flowing game' also known as letting teams get away with tons of **** at the breakdown benefits the ABs hugely.

It is what it is and what I felt would happen with Wales on the other side of the pool and Peyper essentially ruling himself out.

Anyway point is there will be a lot of angry Englishmen (including myself) if Owens goes to type.
Beat me to it

If we win we could end up playing them in the final. Wales are like England when we were on our winning streak. Won ugly for 18 games then fell off of a cliff. Might have 1 more win left in them. But on form they are screwed.

I was taking the mick slightly, but a final vs Wales would be the most nerve wracking experience. But it would be pretty special :)

I was taking the mick slightly, but a final vs Wales would be the most nerve wracking experience. But it would be pretty special :)

In the unlikely event of a Wales v Ireland final I quit the forum and sell my laptop

Replace Ireland with England and replace selling my laptop to jumping into a bath with it in the hope it'll electrocute me!

Lads we just got to get on with it and deal with Owens as ref. TBF out of Garces, Owens and Peyper (not that he was considered for this weekend), I also prefer Owens to Garces. But there is little to choose between the two imo.

lf England don't get through at least it looks like Barnes will likely get the nod for the final. But if not then and we do then we could get Garces or Owens (Assuming Wales don't get through) in the final.

Latest posts