• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF1] Wales vs Argentina (14/10/2023)

Pepper got in a lot of hot water for that, so I expect him to be on his best behaviour.

Good news is any red has been taken out of his hands, so his ability to over compensate is mitigated.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty happy with Peyper, it could be much much worse. I'd have preferred Barnes, best in the world IMO

I'm not a fan of Peyper generally but prefer him to Rynal.

I'll decide whether this was a good appointment after the game.

Japan vs Argentina is one of the few games I've not seen the full game. Matera missing is big, I can see them capitulating if Wales were to score early. Argentina's stereotypical strong scrum is no longer a thing, they've got some nice backs but think the half backs are a bit of a weakness. I think 60:40 in Wales favour is a fair reflection of where the two teams currently are.

Team should be out in the next 5 min or so. I'm really hoping Basham is on the bench instead of Lydiate but don't think we'll see any surprises but it is Gatland so who knows.

Wales team to face Argentina: L Williams; Rees-Zammit, North, Tompkins, Adams; Biggar, G Davies; G Thomas, Elias, Francis, Rowlands, Beard, Morgan (capt), Reffell, Wainwright.

Replacements: Lake, Domachowski, D Lewis, D Jenkins, Tshiunza, T Williams, Costelow, Dyer.

Didn't think he would trust Tshiunza but happy he's on the bench. No Center cover again on the bench so fingers crossed we don't get any injuries there and definitely don't want Biggar going down after 10 mins like he did against Australia. I like Costelow but wouldn't be massively confident he would do the business but depends on how well Argentina are playing.

Didn't think he would trust Tshiunza but happy he's on the bench. No Center cover again on the bench so fingers crossed we don't get any injuries there and definitely don't want Biggar going down after 10 mins like he did against Australia. I like Costelow but wouldn't be massively confident he would do the business but depends on how well Argentina are playing.
Costelow is desperation levels of 3rd choice 10. I mean seriously, there was literally noone else available (I did text Gats and offer my services and he responded:
Hey big guy, I'm going to give Sam 1 last whirl... but keep your phone on!

I'm less surprised by Tshiunza, he offers more than Lydiate, and we know how Gats love a lineout option. He Jenkins and Tomos will offer dynamism off the bench.

I'm more surprised by Domachowski. How **** hot must this guy be in training, we havnt seen anything from him in matches thus far!

Costelow is desperation levels of 3rd choice 10. I mean seriously, there was literally noone else available (I did text Gats and offer my services and he responded:
Hey big guy, I'm going to give Sam 1 last whirl... but keep your phone on!

I'm less surprised by Tshiunza, he offers more than Lydiate, and we know how Gats love a lineout option. He Jenkins and Tomos will offer dynamism off the bench.

I'm more surprised by Domachowski. How **** hot must this guy be in training, we havnt seen anything from him in matches thus far!
I like Tshiunza just didn't think Gatland would trust him in a big knock out game like this, even from the bench. If it was down to me I'd be starting Tshiunza over beard in the row.

Maybe it was that, albeit very harsh yellow, that Basham picked up counted against him but it's more likely what you said, Tshiunza offers that lineout option (and threat when attacking opposition throw ins) and considering we're playing 2 open sides who don't offer anything in the lineout I guess Gatland didn't want another short(ish) 7 on the bench in Basham and went for Christ. Makes sense.

Costelow really does split opinion. Was chatting to my brother earlier and he doesn't even think Costelow is an international standard 10 which I think is harsh. You'd probably get on with him quite well.

I like Tshiunza just didn't think Gatland would trust him in a big knock out game like this, even from the bench. If it was down to me I'd be starting Tshiunza over beard in the row.

Maybe it was that, albeit very harsh yellow, that Basham picked up counted against him but it's more likely what you said, Tshiunza offers that lineout option (and threat when attacking opposition throw ins) and considering we're playing 2 open sides who don't offer anything in the lineout I guess Gatland didn't want another short(ish) 7 on the bench in Basham and went for Christ. Makes sense.

Costelow really does split opinion. Was chatting to my brother earlier and he doesn't even think Costelow is an international standard 10 which I think is harsh. You'd probably get on with him quite well.
Hahaha

I dont think Costello is not international standard, it's just that hes not international standard.

Apart from Carter Gordon there isnt a 10 at the tournament who kicks a ball with less power. Sheedy and Jarod Evan's have the same issue, they are underpowered. That's why preistland had 2 extra years on his career.

Costello cant defend, he isnt quick, he is average ball in hand, and isnt adept in his kicking game. I'm not saying hell never get there, but he's nowhere near, he was merely the only 10 left available. And that goes to why Anscombe is at a RWC, he shouldnt have been selected either TBH, but desperate times...

I mean really who else was there Evans and patchell left Wales, Preistland retired, Sam Davies and Angus O Brien were nearly RWC players hahaha

So Argentina stick with the same formula that hasn't been working. Biggar and Liam will completely school them territorially. 34 year old Cubelli will bring a bit more control but may slow things down a little.

I think Peyper will be the biggest bonus for the Pumas as he consistently focuses on ensuring speed at breakdown (which is important for the free flowing Pumas but Wales don't need with their caterpillar crawl). I was heavily favouring Wales but reduce the gap by 7 due to Peyper. Still will look easy with no feeling Pumas might win it.

Wales 25 - 19 Argentina

Hahaha

I dont think Costello is not international standard, it's just that hes not international standard.

Apart from Carter Gordon there isnt a 10 at the tournament who kicks a ball with less power. Sheedy and Jarod Evan's have the same issue, they are underpowered. That's why preistland had 2 extra years on his career.

Costello cant defend, he isnt quick, he is average ball in hand, and isnt adept in his kicking game. I'm not saying hell never get there, but he's nowhere near, he was merely the only 10 left available. And that goes to why Anscombe is at a RWC, he shouldnt have been selected either TBH, but desperate times...

I mean really who else was there Evans and patchell left Wales, Preistland retired, Sam Davies and Angus O Brien were nearly RWC players hahaha
Don't agree about half of that. I think Costellow has tons of potential. His defense is excellent, he's got a good short kicking game and has shown some good attacking play at Scarlets, U20's and Leicester. I do agree about the lack of kicking power though.

Is he 100% ready for international rugby? Probably not, but he's improving. A WC probably isn't thr best place to be learning, but needs must with few other options as you say.

I'm a fan of Angus O'Brien as a fullback too, he waa excellent last season for the Dragons. Don't overly rate him as a 10 though.

Well, I think Wales has the upper hand, but honestly this pumas team can score against any oponent, it's a lot of firepower

Don't agree about half of that. I think Costellow has tons of potential. His defense is excellent, he's got a good short kicking game and has shown some good attacking play at Scarlets, U20's and Leicester. I do agree about the lack of kicking power though.

Is he 100% ready for international rugby? Probably not, but he's improving. A WC probably isn't thr best place to be learning, but needs must with few other options as you say.

I'm a fan of Angus O'Brien as a fullback too, he waa excellent last season for the Dragons. Don't overly rate him as a 10 though.
You said you dont agree with half, then agreed with all except defence.

He was directly responsible for conceding at least 2 tries, and was out of position for 2 more (off the top of my head).

He is little more than a Matthew Morgan style speed bump, Marcus Smith esque.

Btw I also agree he has some potential, and has played well for Scarlets.

I'll be interested to see how he goes at Scarlets next season. Peel said he signed Lloyd with him playing 10 in mind so will be curious to see if he can oust Costelow

I'll be interested to see how he goes at Scarlets next season. Peel said he signed Lloyd with him playing 10 in mind so will be curious to see if he can oust Costelow
Who knows.

Its desperation time in Douth Wales for 10's currently.

Cardiff just signed that South African kid, hell have to slide in as first choice with... Ben Thomas behind him?

Jeez its slim pickings! We are all going to have to start raising the academies for anyone who can consistently kick 40m

Latest posts