• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: England vs. Australia (03/10/2015)

I can't process this. I almost feel that last week was actually where we lost our chances, because Aus were so far ahead of us today's it's clear they would have beaten us whatever...

Furious and upset doesn't cover it tbh.

Brown made three crucial early mistakes that set the tone but Australian tries were All Black standard and thoroughly worth the win! England got what they deserved by crap selection and three crap coaches!

Lancaster will claim they were looking to 2019 and this one came too soon!

Ritchie will endeavor to justify the contract extensions by retaining the coach!!

Serious, serious problems as out played, out thought, and out of time!!!

Never liked him ever since he took a massive dive to try and win vs us in Aus in 2010 (?).
Luckily he shanked the kick.
Also he just generally a really unlikeable person seeing him on social media and on the pitch.
Your going to bloody love him now...

Calling it now; Lancaster's post match interview will be manaical laughter while he screams I HAVE ALL THE MONEY at the camera

So, turns out that I and others who criticised Lancaster were right, and good no. 10 and others who defended him were wrong...it almost makes up for us being knocked out!

Wow what a performance by Australia. I am sure they'll want to avoid SA in the quarters but if they can they are going to be difficult to stop from here.

Ouch, thats gotta hurt, Aussie looked really impressive, as did South Africa earlier.
Hosts are gone, shame it all ended so quickly but there are lessons to be learned....
Take the bloody kick Robshaw !!!

Team selection- Shocking, In one match they had 6s playing all accross the back row and one in the second row too! lolol

Tactics- Non-existent

Performance- A disgrace.

Let's be honest here. A team from a country with 1.5 million registered rugby players and the most resources of any rugby playing nation shouldn't be a) having to rely on bringing in league converts and foreign players and (b) get knocked out of their own world cup at the group stages.

P.S. The Farrell-Burgess double yellow card fiasco was the most bone headed thing i've seen at crunch time in a big match. Absolutely insane play, and both guys should never play an internation union match again. Am I being too harsh?

- - - Updated - - -

Team selection- Shocking, In one match they had 6s playing all accross the back row and one in the second row too! lolol

Tactics- Non-existent

Performance- A disgrace.

Let's be honest here. A team from a country with 1.5 million registered rugby players and the most resources of any rugby playing nation shouldn't be a) having to rely on bringing in league converts and foreign players and (b) get knocked out of their own world cup at the group stages.

P.S. The Farrell-Burgess double yellow card fiasco was the most bone headed thing i've seen at crunch time in a big match. Absolutely insane play, and both guys should never play an internation union match again. Am I being too harsh?

Ouch. Last time I saw Aus so strong at a RWC they won the whole thing without breaking a sweat. Only weakness I can see is at 9 - Genia kept pointing and flapping his arms and taking steps, and Phipps threw two daisy cutters that gave England a whiff of hope when Australia should have been piling on.

I presume all English will support Wales from here in. No? And everyone stuck in ITV land now has to put up with a bunch of pundits who ain't getting their bonuses.

Without jumping on the bandwagon as the English like to call it, I did think the Aussies would win this game , not that England were bad but more Australia brilliant , I'm caught in 2/minds ENGLAND lost to a depleted welsh team with excuses involved and they were smashed by a superior aussie team tonight and I did not see one area that England were better , the Aussies smashed them at the breakdown... No surprise there , so where did England think they were gonna win this game ???

How stupid does Lancaster's priggish attitude towards Hartley now look?

My personal kangaroo considers Lancaster's main failings as crimes against selection. Tonight we had....a hooker who can't hook, a lock who offers nothing apart from line out and was said hooker's comfort blanket, no open sides in the squad when we knew the Aussies have 2 world class operators, an 8 who obviously isn't fit, a 12 who can do nothing but tackle, whose replacement is still in union nappies and it's already evident is a much better 6 anyway. And as for our "impact" bench, don't make me laugh.

And that's just tonight. I also convict him of playing Brown and Manu on the wings, Lawes at 6, Goode anywhere and many others. I'm afraid he neither has the judgement or gravitas for the job.

We have a great crop of players coming through, including some of tonight's team. They deserve to be in better hands.

Last edited:
I'd love to say I'm gutted...but I'm not. Most England fans, deep down, expected this to defeat happen, maybe not as embarrassing as it has turned out but bad none the less. This WC has been an unmitigated disaster and I hope that Lancaster does the decent thing and resign the post, if not I hope that the RFU don't turn into the Football Association and reward abject failure.

The only host not to get through the group stage. As bad as it gets. The worrying thing is that Will Carling has been the only person involved in the game to tell it like it is and he has been slaughtered for it whilst the current players have just spouted the football style cliches of 'we trust the coach, we are in this together'.

The people, including the ex players and current, who compare Lancaster's disaster to Woodward's first WC are wrong, Woodward had a plan, the team had a structure, they were beaten by a top SA side in the quarter finals but that experience worked for all involved, even as a fan you had a feeling that something was being built, you just don't get that feeling with Lancaster.

Lancaster's England haven't won a game at their own ground against either of their two bitterest rivals, beside a few glimpses of quality we were poor in both games. Lancaster has had enough time to build for this WC and we have been found badly wanting. I think we have the players just not the coach, he looks like a head teacher out of his depth.

English rugby was the one constant in English sport that rarely let the country down, when the Cricket and Football teams were in turmoil the R.U. team were ruthless in their pursuit of winning trophies and games so this WC should set alarm bells ringing. This is as poor an era as England have had for a long time, I hope the professional era doesn't breed apathy.

Amazing, isn't it? That's been gone over on the forum a few times. Still don't have an interesting explanation for England's permanent under-performance.

It looked odd live on TV, and the replay showed several different things going wrong at the same time. I guess they were terrified of a repeat of Aus's first half try.

Without jumping on the bandwagon as the English like to call it, I did think the Aussies would win this game , not that England were bad but more Australia brilliant , I'm caught in 2/minds ENGLAND lost to a depleted welsh team with excuses involved and they were smashed by a superior aussie team tonight and I did not see one area that England were better , the Aussies smashed them at the breakdown... No surprise there , so where did England think they were gonna win this game ???

Johnny W is partially right

Listening to the comments of JW and his holiness Sir Clive, I agree it's not a good idea to have the full clear out and start again. However there are some areas that need addressing and that won't just come right with a few more caps and experience. England's back row are not competing at this level. The lack of speed an dynamic running and physical presence at the breakdown is putting us permanently at a disadvantage. The other bits scrum (technical coaching and strength training can remedy, just look at Australia) and schoolboy naive kick chasing with a wafty single hand challenge and knock on can be trained. Can't see any of England's front row or back row forwards in a Lions team.

Well done Oz. England totally outplayed.
Pocock, Hooper, Foley absolutely brilliant.

England do have the players and the talent but just lack direction.
Lancaster - fall on your sword.

No surprise that Poite was terrible.

Last edited:
Who will english fans support now?
Probably the irish, they both have become typically arrogant and so positive of their own game that they thought they were semi finalists before the tournament kicked off , now England are gone they may support the Scottish!!!