• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: Scotland vs. Japan (23/09/2015)

More fans will be supporting Japan than Scotland there IMO, Glous fans will all be supporting Japan.

Will depend how many scots are there.

Biggest worry is Japan lose badly, in front of what should be a bigger Japanese audience.

Gonna be very tough for Japan to produce a repeat performance methinks, but it all depends on which Scotland turns up. Before I would have called them favourites in a heartbeat, but now...it really could go either way. What a start to the RWC though, this pool is going to be VERY exciting.

Living in the areaish I'll guarantee it'll be a Japan "home" game. They'll be hoping for a repeat.

Living in the areaish I'll guarantee it'll be a Japan "home" game. They'll be hoping for a repeat.

Remember 2004 at McDiarmid Park Perth when we put 100 points over them ! Guess will be somewhat tougher this time around but Cotter has got a good squad together with Hogg perhaps the only fitness doubt . Look forward to the debut of Josh MacStraus !

CPbF32pWoAAIUdQ.png:large

Remember 2004 at McDiarmid Park Perth when we put 100 points over them ! Guess will be somewhat tougher this time around but Cotter has got a good squad together with Hogg perhaps the only fitness doubt . Look forward to the debut of Josh MacStraus !
Oh I think Scotland will win just saying the crowd will hoping (like myself) that it doesn't happen.

Oh I think Scotland will win just saying the crowd will hoping (like myself) that it doesn't happen.

As a Scotland fan I can't blame you! Everyone loves an underdog story, and we've been that for years. Would love the Scots to win but if Japan does then no excuses and no bitterness.

As a Scotland fan I can't blame you! Everyone loves an underdog story, and we've been that for years. Would love the Scots to win but if Japan does then no excuses and no bitterness.
It's a usual think which most fans seam to misunderstand that in any game most neutrals will want the perceived lesser team to win. For example most wanted Fiji to beat England, Japan to beat SA, Argentina to beat NZ and Uruguay to Wales (for the short time they were ahead). And they'll take the proverbial out of the bigger sides fans until it's no longer on the cards especially if incidents happen like McCaw where some fans of NZ cause a stink about the ref before the game has started, usually think McCaw walks on water and they get surprised when quite a few fans somehow find that hilarious.

Ribbing is part of sport between fans as is wanting lesser sides to beat bigger sides. Just be prepared when it happens to you, if England fall apart against Uruguay I'd fully expect every nation to have a good old laugh at us.

It's a usual think which most fans seam to misunderstand that in any game most neutrals will want the perceived lesser team to win. For example most wanted Fiji to beat England, Japan to beat SA, Argentina to beat NZ and Uruguay to Wales (for the short time they were ahead). And they'll take the proverbial out of the bigger sides fans until it's no longer on the cards especially if incidents happen like McCaw where some fans of NZ cause a stink about the ref before the game has started, usually think McCaw walks on water and they get surprised when quite a few fans somehow find that hilarious.

Ribbing is part of sport between fans as is wanting lesser sides to beat bigger sides. Just be prepared when it happens to you, if England fall apart against Uruguay I'd fully expect every nation to have a good old laugh at us.

It does say something about the nature of this forum though that there are as many posts in the NZ vs Argentina match as there are in the Japan v South Africa, a large proportion debating whether or not Richie McCaw is a cheat and the competency of the referee. It's a bit of a shame.

It's a usual think which most fans seam to misunderstand that in any game most neutrals will want the perceived lesser team to win. For example most wanted Fiji to beat England, Japan to beat SA, Argentina to beat NZ and Uruguay to Wales (for the short time they were ahead). And they'll take the proverbial out of the bigger sides fans until it's no longer on the cards especially if incidents happen like McCaw where some fans of NZ cause a stink about the ref before the game has started, usually think McCaw walks on water and they get surprised when quite a few fans somehow find that hilarious

I'd probably define 'some' as one or two. Most have acknowledged that McCaw's actions were dumb, and we should move on and increase the discipline for next time. The walking on water thing works both ways. The converse is that some people out there seem to think he's the devil incarnate. Agree with the rest of your post though! :cool:

Completely agree! I was there in Brighton with my Japan hat firmly on (despite taking a "refreshment break" and being stood between two enormous bokke). There are few teams in international rugby I wouldn't mind losing to. Japan is one at the moment!

Scotland by ranking will be underdogs for this match.
I think it's safe to say that's not really the case double points and SA's relative ranking have made a slight oddity in positions right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd probably define 'some' as one or two. Most have acknowledged that McCaw's actions were dumb, and we should move on and increase the discipline for next time. The walking on water thing works both ways. The converse is that some people out there seem to think he's the devil incarnate. Agree with the rest of your post though! :cool:
I agree a few people seam to think that a horrible dirty player where he's anything but. He pushes the line (and quite often breaks it) at the breakdown in what can only be described as being an openside flanker and some people seam to be shocked by that. He's the best of world of conning the ref but that's just a normal part of again being an openside flanker.

Karne Hesketh used to play for Otago, he's the man, great to see him score the winner. Tanaka actually helped talk him into joining the Japanese National team. Half the team is Kiwi, it explains why they're so good :)

My instinct is that beating South Africa will prove to be Japan's final. A three day turnaround is really tough in terms of fitness anyway, and combined with the obvious emotional high they'll be on it will be very, very hard to prepare properly for this game I'm afraid to say. I really hope I'm wrong and this turns into an Argentina '07 story (they ahve a seriously good chance of qualifying or even topping the group) but I'm predicting a Scottish win, albeit a tight one.

It does say something about the nature of this forum though that there are as many posts in the NZ vs Argentina match as there are in the Japan v South Africa, a large proportion debating whether or not Richie McCaw is a cheat and the competency of the referee. It's a bit of a shame.

Yeah something of a car crash that thread sadly. It seems the first wave of World Cup Single Issue Posters has arrived; split evenly between "Wayne Barnes is a cheat" and "Richie McCaw is a cheat". I've been really looking forward to enjoying being party of this forum over the World Cup, as a relative newbie, but aware that there will be some ****ing horrible posters as well as good discussions over the duration of the tournament. Inevitable I guess.

Karne Hesketh used to play for Otago, he's the man, great to see him score the winner. Tanaka actually helped talk him into joining the Japanese National team. Half the team is Kiwi, it explains why they're so good :)

Typical kiwi claiming anything good about rugby is down to them....

Usual arrogance.

Latest posts