• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: Scotland vs. Japan (23/09/2015)

Still sort of don't get the point of this comment in the thread comes across as disguised NZ circle jerk type comment.

Who the fuk cares about NZ players playing in the lower leagues it gives them just as much of life experience than anything else.

Calm down my man. It was a reply to a previous comment/discussion. You don't like it, don't read it. By the way what is a "NZ circle jerk type comment"? :)
So, I wrote "kiwis" but obviously it is clearly applicable to most rugby playing nations. The comment was about how there are way more than just the few foreign born internationals contributing to the development of the game. There are a thousand times more that we don't hear of because they are effectively no names - and of course the players themselves get a whole heap out of it as well. Anyone who knows about this stuff knows they don't go to these places to play rugby primarily, they go, as you say, for the life experience. The spin off is the development of the game. THAT is the point of the comment - nothing to do with any self indulged Kiwi, mine is bigger that yours type comment as I assume your "NZ circle jerk type comment" implies ;)
As for the naming of the Japanese side, looks pretty smart to me from Eddie Jones. They have kept the core of the team in Tanaka, Leitch, Hoire, and Goramaru, and despite making 6 changes some are not that major.

I love the fact that they are starting Mafi.
Harumichi is an experience player and is a good option at 10, but perhaps the most surprising change.
The changes at prop are probably the most necessary ones in terms of the short turnaround.
Luke Thompson is a quality player as well.

Seeing the team now, I think Japan may have a really good shot at Scotland!

Last edited:
I think this will be closer than people think. I'm not sure who will win, but I'm thinking the final score will be close to within 5pts.

I like the idea of 5 years residency qualification.
All our players grew up in NZ, went through the NZ rugby coaching system and then evolved into the provincial and then Super Rugby stages.
5 years works for us.
That would give us a better chance of keeping our players from the likes of Japan who have a history of poaching top Kiwi players into their professional leagues. Jerome Kaino only returned last year from a jaunt in the Japanese wilderness. They offer BIG salaries in Japan.

Am I wrong or did residential Qualification used to be 6 years ?

Japan have had their big game of this world cup. Eddie Jones now talking about qualifying. Don't make me laugh!
Scotland are forewarned and they're lucky they didn't play Japan first up. Scotland by more than 10m points.
The recovery time between games is a bit unfair, but it would be difficult to extend the tournament by a few weeks.
Looking forward to world cup in Japan, as long as NZ don't hijack it again.

My reading &computer use is clearly better....considering I can open a web page up and scroll down....

Yup - my apologies ncurd ! Got a wee bit carried away ! Did not look but assumed it was Wales . Interesting article but of the 11 in the Scotland team only 3 are qualified on the 3 year residential basis The other 8 are " genetic " Scots with Scots parentage. grand parentage .

How long will it take for someone to Sign Goromaru after the tournament.. What a player.

Why has a home nation game been scheduled to kick-off during work? Can't watch it now due to other games this evening as well. Complete balls up all round.

The game finish time is going to screw up traffic in the area as well.

How long will it take for someone to Sign Goromaru after the tournament.. What a player.

I for one am hoping Eddie Jones will bring him along to the Stormers. He certainly made a big impression.

I have no idea what to expect here, before the weekend I would have said Scotland by 15 and while I know rugby isn't paper-rock-scissors and Scotland should remain favorites I just can't help feeling Japan could possibly pull it off if they can maintain the level of accuracy and commitment they showed against SA.

Last edited:
I think Japan will certainly take the game to Scotland but I can't seem them winning this one, not if Scotland have done their homework. The Springboks played the wrong game against Japan and tried to bully them rather than move them around. If Scotland learn from that then hopefully with players such as Hogg, Seymour, Scott, Bennett and Russell we can expoit the space we can open up.

Scotland by 14.

Why has a home nation game been scheduled to kick-off during work? Can't watch it now due to other games this evening as well. Complete balls up all round.

The game finish time is going to screw up traffic in the area as well.

I'm with you on this. I have my wife instructed not to watch the game of the news. My fear is that she wouldn't be able to keep a straight face if we lost. She's American. I'm also concerned that only one team in the tournament appears to have a full week between all their games.

I'm with you on this. I have my wife instructed not to watch the game of the news. My fear is that she wouldn't be able to keep a straight face if we lost. She's American. I'm also concerned that only one team in the tournament appears to have a full week between all their games.

I wonder which team that could possibly be...?

Absolutely pumped for this game, come on Scotland!

I don't know about being pumped, I'm hoping Japan are going to get pumped.

Definitely. I was hoping to be at this game today but tickets were sold out long ago. I do have the Scotland v USA game in Leeds to look forward to at the weekend though hopeully it's on a high of the back of a good performance/result today.

Starting ITV's coverage with John Inverdale puts a bit of a downer on it though.

Scotland should win this.

But would look great (bloody weird) to have Japan at the top of group standings heading into the knockout stages.

Really hope Japan don't buy their own hype and put their heads down and play toward their excellent ganeplan and their strengths which are quick ball and getting hands out of the tackle. Their support play was class last week and the win was far from a fluke which is the most incredible thing about it. I'd love to see a genuine underdog fish on I this competition. I've said for a while the Japs are a lovely skilled team to watch even if they did struggle with physicality but they positively bullied one of the worlds most physical teams last week with their crash balls up the middle. Here's hoping, but my money is still on Scotland.

Japans national anthem is epic, second only to the Argies'.

Latest posts