• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

Eddie might aswell just rip the bandaid now and put a fek it team.
He won't though.

He really needs to be Bothers though.
Wisemantel has improved the attack as much as he can with weak forwards in a short space of time.

With the exception of a new halfback pairing what kind of **** it team can we put out?

Our midfield is a mess - we can put Loz and/or Francis in there but it looks as much a gameplan issue as much as a personnel one (three 10s isn't working, I don't think switching one out for another 10 is going to work ((I know most of them play centre these days but they all started out as 10s)).
Solomona in for Brown?
Simmonds and Wilson on the flanks? Binny is crocked so we're lumbered with Hughes.
Isiekwe into the 2nd row?

Been disappointed with J. George tbh, he looks like a completely different player - noticeably slower, and has just not been playing very well.

I think a few issues are fairly easily solved, such as the midfield. For the remainder of this tour we're pretty screwed there but once we have Te'o, Tuilagi and Joseph back it should regain some balance. A midfield of 3 10s was never going to work. Feel a bit bad for Ford TBH, he was donkey but I think a 10's always going to struggle if they don't have the safety net of being able to just give it to a decent carrying centre if all else fails.

Main issue is clearly in the pack; attitude more than anything. Would like to see wholesale changes next week, some of the team really are cancerous in terms of penalties and attitude (Mako and Itoje). It will give them a kick up the arse if nothing else. Bring in Marler, LCD, Williams, Isiekwe and Wilson (at 8, Hughes is dire). All physical players who actually hit rucks and have a bit of aggression. Genge is exactly what this team needs, real shame that he's injured.

My **** it team
1. Mako, 2. Cowan-dickie, 3. Williams
4. Launchbury, 5. Isiewke
6. Shields, 7. Curry, 8. erm Wilson
9. Robson, 10. Cips
12. Farrell, 13. Lozowski
11. Solomona, 14. May, 15. Daly

16. George, 17. Marler, 18. sinck
19. Itoje, 20. Simmonds
21. Youngs, 22. Ford, 23. Earle.
Other than Spencer in for Robson (I think Spencer's been pretty impressive in his very limited cameos; Robson was poor vs the Barbarians) I'd say that's spot on.

Not trying to stick the boot into Robshaw, but I think today you saw exactly what he doesn't do.
Shields had the pace and physicality to get to rucks and move people. And is at least as fit as Chris.

Think it could be curtains (as a starter, in any case)... particularly because I think Wilson can do a similar job.

Can anyone think of a player in the squad who seems like Captain material?

I think a few issues are fairly easily solved, such as the midfield. For the remainder of this tour we're pretty screwed there but once we have Te'o, Tuilagi and Joseph back it should regain some balance. A midfield of 3 10s was never going to work. Feel a bit bad for Ford TBH, he was donkey but I think a 10's always going to struggle if they don't have the safety net of being able to just give it to a decent carrying centre if all else fails.

Main issue is clearly in the pack; attitude more than anything. Would like to see wholesale changes next week, some of the team really are cancerous in terms of penalties and attitude (Mako and Itoje). It will give them a kick up the arse if nothing else. Bring in Marler, LCD, Williams, Isiekwe and Wilson (at 8, Hughes is dire). All physical players who actually hit rucks and have a bit of aggression. Genge is exactly what this team needs, real shame that he's injured.

I agree mostly with this, but I feel Itoje had a much better game today.

His childish kick ****** me off, but he fronted up.

Last edited:
Not trying to stick the boot into Robshaw, but I think today you saw exactly what he doesn't do.
Shields had the pace and physicality to get to rucks and move people. And is at least as fit as Chris.

Think it could be curtains (as a starter, in any case)... particularly because I think Wilson can do a similar job.

Can anyone think of a player in the squad who seems like Captain material?

Youngs.........

Seriously not sure? Maybe Daly but don't think he has that presence.
Launchbury?

Fuk it lets make Shields captain.

Did Itoje even kick?
I thought it was the director showing the wrong thing when trying to show the Mako slap and sky sports trying to work out what they were being shown
Certainly didn't look like he made contact or anything

I agree mostly with this, but I feel Itoje had a much better game today.
He got better. One or two silly penalties on the first 20 mins but lineouts were solid and got the odd turnover.

He's still half the player he was a couple of years ago.

Did Itoje even kick?
I thought it was the director showing the wrong thing when trying to show the Mako slap and sky sports trying to work out what they were being shown
Certainly didn't look like he made contact or anything

He didn't make contact, but he definitely moved his leg towards Faf.
Whether it was an attempt to kick or trip - it was clearly deliberate.

Fair enough, my stream was about a minute behind the thread so I was looking out for Mako so didn't pay too much attention to it

Seriously not sure? Maybe Daly but don't think he has that presence. Launchbury?

Lunchbox is a decent shout. He was the one guy I was thinking of.

There's still a problem - either no-one (captain or otherwise) is getting the team around and calling out players like Mako and Maro for the stupid **** they're doing, or they are and those players either aren't able, or willing to stop themselves.

Fair enough, my stream was about a minute behind the thread so I was looking out for Mako so didn't pay too much attention to it

It wasn't like he was initiating a Muay Thai fight or anything, probably a "love tap" to say... "I nearly had you". But it's ******* retarded.

Lunchbox is a decent shout. He was the one guy I was thinking of.

There's still a problem - either no-one (captain or otherwise) is getting the team around and calling out players like Mako and Maro for the stupid **** they're doing, or they are and those players either aren't able, or willing to stop themselves.
Who are the English guys doing this in the prem though?
I can't think of a single MJ like character at all tbh

Who are the English guys doing this in the prem though?
I can't think of a single MJ like character at all tbh

I'm not saying there's a solution... I'm trying to point out that there's a big problem.

I think this is partly what Dean Ryan's been trying to do something about with the age-grades.

Launchbury seems way too nice. Can't see him solving the issue of calling players out. In fairness to Hartley the disciplinary issues have gotten far worse since he's been out. Given that George really hasn't been what people were expecting him to be as a starter, it may well be worth bringing Hartley back in, should he get over his concussion issues.

What I've found very enlightening today, as a slight aside to the rugby itself, is the volume of people saying stuff like "Brad Shields was anonymous" "Can anyone enlighten me as to what Brad Shields has done?!".

I mean... I don't understand how anyone with even just a rudimentary understanding of the sport could say something like that.

Latest posts