• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 2nd Test] South Africa vs. England (16/06/2018)

I'm no expert but it looks like a stronger side to me, Shields isn't necessarily a world beater but he offers more than Robshaw, Launches in for Isiekwe pretty much a straight upgrade?

Wow he actually dropped Robshaw!

What the actual **** is his problem with Isiekwe!

CIPS!!

**** Itoje!!!

And is Mark Wilson a second row now?

DfpS909U0AAtYlt.jpg:large

Let hope Itoje and Mako keep a level head this week, then I'm pretty confident. If Cipriani comes on, probably means Farrell will stay at 12? Denny could replace Brown later in the game if Daly goes well.

*Wait... Still no 2nd row cover? Wow.

I would like to see him dropped, but knowing Eddie that ain't happening
Quite apart from the pens its not like Itoje's been tearing up too many trees in a white shirt recently.

It would send a great message to both Itoje and the wider squad if he got some bench time. It would also be good man management to say to Isiekwe that despite last week he still believes in him and will give him another chance. Playing alongside Launch may be good for Isiekwe as he's a bit (a lot) calmer and more experienced than Itoje.

EDIT. Waste of time typing this then. Very poor not to involve Isiekwe at all. The back row looks balanced for once.

Quite apart from the pens its not like Itoje's been tearing up too many trees in a white shirt recently.

It would send a great message to both Itoje and the wider squad if he got some bench time. It would also be good man management to say to Isiekwe that despite last week he still believes in him and will give him another chance. Playing alongside Launch may be good for Isiekwe as he's a bit (a lot) calmer and more experienced than Itoje.
I know! We have 4 second rows on this tour. I feel like Eddie listened to the media saying quit playing a million second rows and MASSIVELY overcompensated.

I know! We have 4 second rows on this tour. I feel like Eddie listened to the media saying quit playing a million second rows and MASSIVELY overcompensated.
At least Shields isn't starting there!

With so little training in his legs the odds are that Launch won't go past 50 mins, possibly less (and that assumes he is properly over the injury). That means the out of sorts Itoje will have to go the distance paired with a back rower for half an hour or so.

And what happens to our back row balance if Curry goes off?

Shields covers second row in case of emergency as itojo and launchbury are 80 min players Graham to cover curry and Hughes just in case?
Could cipriane go to full back and shift Daley?

So no changes in the backline?? Same old same old? What makes me think that they will change tactics to a more kicking orientated game?

That selection makes me happy - with the exception of Isiekwe not even making the bench - you've got to be confident that he's either mentaly tough enough to take being removed in the first half, and then dropped entirely; or be VERY confident that he's not going to be good enough, and doesn't matter if you ruin him mentally - the latter would still be poor man-management regardless; and a very, very odd conclusion.

Swap Hughes for Isiekwe and I'd be 100% behind this selection

All things considered im happy with the starting 15, its the bench that confuses me.

Did iseikwe have a shocker last week? To warrent him completly missing out.

For me iseikwe and simmonds on the bench but if your going with 2 back rows then simmonds hughes.

I say this because if we lose curry, then there is no speed in the back row. Shields curry billy. Works. I wouldnt mind if shields came off and it was. Simmonds curry billy, he has a great workrate and could do the job. Dont get why hes not on the bench (for the record i dont think simmonds should start even if he was picked)

Why would you change the backline? They scored 34 points last Saturday....they are essentially doing their job its forwards who have not been doing theirs.

Happy with starting 15 less enthused by bench options with no second row cover.

Overall changes that were required have been made without making radical changes after what was only a 3 point loss.

Springbok Team
15 Willie le Roux, 14 S'bu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Beast Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Akker van der Merwe, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Thomas du Toit, 19 Sikumbuzo Notshe, 20 Jean-Luc du Preez, 21 Ivan van Zyl, 22 Jesse Kriel, 23 Warrick Gelant.

So changes:
Jean Luc DP 7 - > 20
Pieter Steph du Toit - 19 - > 7

OK fair enough, I've had my doubts at PTSD at 7 but he's gotten better and better playing there and was better than JLDP last week.

Louw 3 - > out of the squad
Frans out of the squad - > 3

Fair I think Louw needs some rest, he flew in from America and looked battered last week.

Jesse Kriel in for Elton at 22
Despite the fact that this leaves us with no fly-half cover (Willie probably, with Faf goal kicking), I kind of like this change, Elton isn't an impact player, so I'd rather add someone who could impact the game.

Changes are fine but it's pretty much the same team.

Wilson has covered lock for Falcons a couple of times hasn't he?

I think Eddie's comments about seeing the forwards as a "front three" and "back five" are clearly a true representation of his feelings. I can only guess that this has been informed by his time in Japan, where he didn't have very many guys who were over 6'5" and had to make do. In theory, I can understand it - 6'5" is about as tall as you can be before you start to have poor leverages in the tight and your CNS exhibits a clear latency issue. But in reality? Not convinced.

I think the notion that he's happy with his locks for the RWC but not his BR possibly has some merit. He knows it'll be Itoje, Launch, Lawes and Kruis. But he wants to look at as many flankers as possible. Maybe. We can only guess, if we're honest with ourselves. Because we don't know when Eddie is being genuine.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with that. Although it goes without saying that I'd prefer to see a winger on the wing. I get why it would be a slight gamble to chuck the likes of Earle or Woodward on instead of Brown, but frankly, playing Brown there has it's own risks... as we saw last week.

Last edited:
Springbok Team
15 Willie le Roux, 14 S'bu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Beast Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Akker van der Merwe, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Thomas du Toit, 19 Sikumbuzo Notshe, 20 Jean-Luc du Preez, 21 Ivan van Zyl, 22 Jesse Kriel, 23 Warrick Gelant.

So changes:
Jean Luc DP 7 - > 20
Pieter Steph du Toit - 19 - > 7

OK fair enough, I've had my doubts at PTSD at 7 but he's gotten better and better playing there and was better than JLDP last week.

Louw 3 - > out of the squad
Frans out of the squad - > 3

Fair I think Louw needs some rest, he flew in from America and looked battered last week.

Jesse Kriel in for Elton at 22
Despite the fact that this leaves us with no fly-half cover (Willie probably, with Faf goal kicking), I kind of like this change, Elton isn't an impact player, so I'd rather add someone who could impact the game.

Changes are fine but it's pretty much the same team.
Yous guys are doing well considering yous are without your 2 best players Malcolm Marx and Eden Etzebeth.

I cant wait for this game. Enjoyed the last one.

Yous guys are doing well considering yous are without your 2 best players Malcolm Marx and Eden Etzebeth.

I cant wait for this game. Enjoyed the last one.
The lack of Ebens presence isn't the end of the world because we have good depth at lock, Marx on the other hand is a beast and sorely missed.

Would swap out Hughes for Isiekwe, And switch Brown and Solomona around, but I'm happy with that side.

Latest posts