• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 2 - Japan vs. Ireland (28/09/2019)

It's looking like an SA v Japan QF. I can see them beating Samoa and Scotland. Ireland will be thrown to the All Black's, which NZ didn't want. It shows how topping a pool can backfire: SA topped their pool in 2011, but had to face Australia in the QFs who fluffed their pool, finishing 2nd, and they dumped SA out by 2 points.

Watched this 2nd time round and made the following observations:
  1. Japan are very confident in their individual talent.
  2. Their set piece is solid.
  3. Their defence in particular their scramble defence is as good as anyone's.
  4. They are fit and are happy playing 80 minutes at 97 lions tempo (millenials watch the dvd to understand)
  5. The Japanese backrow is awesome then they bring Leitch on.
  6. Ireland were not that bad they just didn't expect the tempo Japan played at.

This is an awful result for an ABs fan... Ireland way more likely to beat us than japan or Scotland. Need Samoa or Scotland to bowl japan now so Ireland still top the pool.

That result is a huge result for SA.

Thats very disrespectful to Japan

If Japan had played us as many times as the Irish have they would probably have beaten us at least 3x

At home, as proud as you can imagine. Japan will be tough for anyone. Obviously miles too tough for this Irish team.

Samoa might not be the easiest game either tbf, we could still be playing them in the QF.

Any team in a knock out game situation should never be underestimated. Look at France in 2007.

I don't think we should feel comfortable against anyone, I know I will still be crossing every finger and toe. That's how it should be tbh, means rugby is becoming increasingly competitive.

Japan have beaten South Africa and Ireland now in world cups, I don't think it will be that big of a shock if they dumped us out now.
Don't get me wrong it is still quite an upset but not now they have shown they can play at that level already.

I still think Ireland will qualify. If anything this result is worse for the Scots

If Japan had played us as many times as the Irish have they would probably have beaten us at least 3x

At home, as proud as you can imagine. Japan will be tough for anyone. Obviously miles too tough for this Irish team.

Samoa might not be the easiest game either tbf, we could still be playing them in the QF.

Any team in a knock out game situation should never be underestimated. Look at France in 2007.

I don't think we should feel comfortable against anyone, I know I will still be crossing every finger and toe. That's how it should be tbh, means rugby is becoming increasingly competitive.

Japan have beaten South Africa and Ireland now in world cups, I don't think it will be that big of a shock if they dumped us out now.
Don't get me wrong it is still quite an upset but not now they have shown they can play at that level already.

If I was the Boks I'd rather play Ireland than Japan

Your bolder comment is a bit of a stretch. Didn't we put 60 on Japan last year?

It was a good result, but let's not get carried away here. Ireland are a way higher chance of rolling us than Japan/Scotland.

to the irish.
Ireland looked clueless on attack after the 20th minute. is this cos sexton 's absence? is he so important to the team? Japan did play very well. but something didn't work for the Irish offence. no ideas, so surprise.

Never seen Ireland surrender a game in circumstance like that, I understand the LBP was an option but what about all the paying Irish fans who paid their hard earned money to see Ireland win, sorry to go out like that is pretty lame IMO and a bit disrespectful to the travelling support..defending a LDP?
See both sides of this, though I would say @Zerobound seems a bit... shall we say, 'provocative' with his/her language. Basically Wales and Ireland are both currently class international set-ups, they've proved it consistently for over a decade (for the most part... though there has been the odd blip, to which I think Zero is alluding to) but New Zealand really are another level.

Yeah the chasing pack has caught up some of the ground but their still the 'big-bads'.

I only see a SH tinted view on the original statement Im afraid .
See both sides of this, though I would say @Zerobound seems a bit... shall we say, 'provocative' with his/her language. Basically Wales and Ireland are both currently class international set-ups, they've proved it consistently for over a decade (for the most part... though there has been the odd blip, to which I think Zero is alluding to) but New Zealand really are another level.

Yeah the chasing pack has caught up some of the ground but their still the 'big-bads'.

Sorry Pal I dont see both sides I am surprised you do?.

Never seen Ireland surrender a game in circumstance like that, I understand the LBP was an option but what about all the paying Irish fans who paid their hard earned money to see Ireland win, sorry to go out like that is pretty lame IMO and a bit disrespectful to the travelling support..defending a LDP?

The other side is that New Zealand are still a cut above... I just think the way it was presented rubbed you the wrong way, judging by his language intentionally so.

Alright, that's my name... don't wear it out ;).

That was bad. I would have wanted Japan to have won anybody else but us. The result will not do us any harm re the pool. But if we cannot beat them how can you expect to beat the major Countries ?. I am not happy.

We did it.Giant killing! Amazing match!
I watched this game in Shizuoka stadiumn.
I am proud of Japanese team, but nothing completed.
The rest two games are important.

The Irish way of attacking seemed to be monotonous especially at the latter half.
One of the reason why we won is the home advantage.
Irish players may be suffered by the humidity and high temparature.
I heared some players "enjoyed" songs of crikets at nights.
The differences of daily lives might affect their performances.

The Irish way of attacking seemed to be monotonous especially at the latter half.
Congratulations @yanchi51, nice to have a Japanese poster on here.

Congratulations Yanchi san. I hope the delayed post is because you've been drinking all night in Japan :)

Congratulations Yanchi san. I hope the delayed post is because you've been drinking all night in Japan :)

That would be hardcore as Japan is 8 hours of BST
hence it would be 6am Sunday am local time

But Japanese can party hard & what a great excuse to celebrate!!!

Latest posts