• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 4 - New Zealand vs. Italy (12/10/2019) *MATCH CANCELLED DUE TO BAD WEATHER*

Suppose the Italian's can tell their grandkids that it took a typhoon to knock them out of RWC19...

Can't help but wonder, if the boot was on the other foot and say New Zealand needed a win to go through to the next round that this game would have been rescheduled 100%.

Spare a thought for the Italians, I think this is very unfair.

New episode of The Breakdown is now up; 52 minutes of great rugby talk

Its like they took the words from out of my mouth

I actually think we shouldn't focus on tackling technique, we should focus on our carrying technique.
We need to learn to carry the ball so that the opposition have to smack us in the melon and get carded.

The frame work hasn't actually changed technique IMO. Its just made games a free for all, who gets the least cards is going to be the winner.

Obviously in the pool play we had huge discrepancy in skill level so the better teams won any way.

With the teams far more competitive in the knock out games, there will definitely be teams sent home crying.

Hopefully it isn't us, but it is going to ruin the world cup 100000000%

Seems like TRF is in love with cards, maybe some of these posters think their team now have a better chance of winning?

Or still play the game and/or care about their health and the health of others? Concussion is no joke pal.
Jacko said that tacklers are getting more injuries with the framework??
Tacklers get concussion too pal, concussion aint no joke

Jacko said that tacklers are getting more injuries with the framework??
Tacklers get concussion too pal, concussion aint no joke
I haven't listened to it, but trying to insinuate that all people care about is their team winning in relation to this topic isn't going to make anyone take you seriously.

I haven't listened to it, but trying to insinuate that all people care about is their team winning in relation to this topic isn't going to make anyone take you seriously.
If anything I have had more knocks defending then running the ball. I am pretty sure that is typical in the game. Its bloody easy getting your head in an awkward position against a moving target.

I do think the positives are being severly out weighed by the negatives atm with this framework.

I never said it was the only factor, but I think it seems to be a factor.

Why does it seem like its a north vs south sort of a thing?

If anything I have had more knocks defending then running the ball. I am pretty sure that is typical in the game. Its bloody easy getting your head in an awkward position against a moving target.

I do think the positives are being severly out weighed by the negatives atm with this framework.

I never said it was the only factor, but I think it seems to be a factor.

Why does it seem like its a north vs south sort of a thing?
Can't say I've experienced the same, my worst concussion was being tackled but no foul play, the other one was result of a tip tackle and any suspected jobs have been tackles too. All anecdotal though.

I think world rugby picked a horrible time to implement new frameworks, prior to the biggest tournament with the biggest clash of styles was a dumb time to change any rules. Usually these things have bad teething problems and then become fairly uniform.

I really don't think it is a factor beyond a tiny and stupid minority to be honest, it's not like any team are better or worse at not being on the end of these cards right now.

I think the North v South thing is projection to be honest, maybe something to do with the fact that French refs are seen as the devil incarnate down there when really it's just Garces that is normally terrible!

Last edited:
I do feel sorry for the Italian players, they should have the opportunity for the upset, to have their fate in their own hands. But I just heard a spin on the radio about some British outlet making out that the All Blacks didn't want to have 5 days prep until the quarter-finals. LMAO. Are you kidding me?

The All Blacks not wanting a 5 day turnaround before a QF sounds completely reasonable, along with all the other added problems of a move to a later date.
its a complicated situation.
I still think this game being cancelled is bad for the AB's. It was clear this game was going to be used as a ramp to launch into the finals with the #1 team after two soft games with rotated lineups
on the flip side, no chance of injuries or suspensions when you don't play. Though injuries do happen in training and the team will likely have a game simulation within the squad. you can never control those aspects though it never works out just staying at home bubble-wrapped
delaying the game really throws a spanner in the buildup to quarter finals. Ideally the game could have been played a earlier. Get it done before the storm hits but there wasn't a contingency for that.
It just sucks. This game was important to both sides.

The All Blacks not wanting a 5 day turnaround before a QF sounds completely reasonable, along with all the other added problems of a move to a later date.
its a complicated situation.
I still think this game being cancelled is bad for the AB's. It was clear this game was going to be used as a ramp to launch into the finals with the #1 team after two soft games with rotated lineups
on the flip side, no chance of injuries or suspensions when you don't play. Though injuries do happen in training and the team will likely have a game simulation within the squad. you can never control those aspects though it never works out just staying at home bubble-wrapped
delaying the game really throws a spanner in the buildup to quarter finals. Ideally the game could have been played a earlier. Get it done before the storm hits but there wasn't a contingency for that.
It just sucks. This game was important to both sides.
I agree, no matter how much the all blacks are favorites I still believe cancelling the game is very disappointing for the Italians Especially when it would Retirement games for players such as Parisse who have endured with Italy for a very long time. It makes me sick that this would happen and that world rugby didn't have a backup plan for these games even though they knew the world cup would be staged in a country during Typhoon season.

I think world rugby picked a horrible time to implement new frameworks, prior to the biggest tournament with the biggest clash of styles was a dumb time to change any rules. Usually these things have bad teething problems and then become fairly uniform.
Thats what ive been thinking, they bring this out 2 years ago and get stupidly strict on it make sure everyone knows and adapts to a 50 50 tackle not being worth the risk and will not be missed anymore.

World cup comes along and there are no excuses, no one trying to change in a short time. High tackle has always been a red if dangerous and but now its in the spotlight so is being looked at closely.

Its just stupid to step it up a level at a tournement where losing a player can make a huge difference.

If Italy are upset at missing this game, maybe they should have actually tried to play some rugby against the Boks. I find it pretty enbarassing from their camp to be honest. By all means express disappointment, but the Italy situation cannot seriously be compared to Japan vs Scotland.

If Italy are upset at missing this game, maybe they should have actually tried to play some rugby against the Boks. I find it pretty enbarassing from their camp to be honest. By all means express disappointment, but the Italy situation cannot seriously be compared to Japan vs Scotland.
It's the exact same. Both scenarios have teams with the exact same number of points. The only difference is the perceived quality of the teams which shouldn't be a factor in these decisions, what's the point of a competition if you're not going to give everyone the same chance?

It's the exact same. Both scenarios have teams with the exact same number of points. The only difference is the perceived quality of the teams which shouldn't be a factor in these decisions, what's the point of a competition if you're not going to give everyone the same chance?

I hear you. But even four tries for Italy against 14 men AB would be an absurd scenario given the way they are coached, and the BP would be essential given the points difference is unachievable. Italy did have their chance to accumulate enough points to go through when they faced the Boks. They elected to play half their side out of position and not even contest restarts - they were in damage limitation mode from the very start. No ambition, no complaints.

This is a side that had a celebratory night out to mark their amazing victories over Canada and Namibia. Of the list of things that eliminated Italy from the competition the typhoon probably isn't even in the top 10.

I hear you. But even four tries for Italy against 14 men AB would be an absurd scenario given the way they are coached, and the BP would be essential given the points difference is unachievable.

If both sides finished on equal points Italy would go through, because the first tiebreaker is head-to-head.

No one is really saying that Italy beating the all blacks is likely, it's just that NZ were asked if they felt like playing and they said no.

If NZ had lost against SA and needed this game to go ahead, it would have. That's shite.

By that logic Scotland should have tried to play some rugby against Ireland. As I said above I agree that Scotland have more chance than Italy, but in terms of sport that should be irrelevant and in terms of the integrity of the tournament there is no difference between the two.

Latest posts