• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

As an Ireland fan, I am getting very excited/nervous for this game. Ireland CANNOT fall behind. I have noticed throughout all their pool games that the first 20 minutes has been very intense, putting a few scores on the board and I do wonder whether it is because of the quarter finals. You don't want to chase NZ or SA so I wonder if they will come out guns blazing to build a score and let the opposition chase whilst choking them.

Like I said earlier, I do think it will be an Ireland by 5 or a NZ by 15-20 result.

I don't think this Ireland team nor coach deserve to be embarrassed in the event of the latter, though. Sexton has been a great player and deserves a great world cup run to make him one of the greats and Schmidt has really changed Irish rugby.

Respectfully I disagree. The New Zealanders has been calling for Rieko to be dropped before the World Cup because he looked lethargic, uninterested and out of form. The choice to put Reece and Bridge in the squad was a good one from Hansen. This is where the NZ are better than us South Africans in dropping a out of form player which has built up a huge reputation. Bridge and Reece has been fire they are the Crusaders wings with the worlds best flyhalf completing the back three. Did you read that correctly? The Crusaders wings....the same ones who destroyed Super rugby sides all year and now they have Beauden with them.

Don't think for a second that NZ won't be able to unlock the Irish defense, rather ask how the Irish can outscore NZ
Ireland will need to breach 30 points scored if they are going to win this game

To clarify myself, I think they miss Reiko in form, I'm not saying he necessarily should have been picked (I would probably have put Bender and Jordie in the backline and BB at flyhalf). Has Reiko been the same since he tore his hamstring last year or is there confidence it is purely mental?

I think it is very hard to judge Crusader backs. Their pack is so dominant that a lot of their highlight reel comes from when the opposition is defeated and demoralised. Yes, they could be world beaters and make me look particularly stupid. Just because you are behind a top pack doesn't mean that you yourself are not also world class.

I'm not sure that the ABs will put 29 on Ireland when they got 23 on the Boks, but I would love to see the ABs hit top form (win or lose) and think any three-peat by them would be an incredible story for a modest island in the middle of the Pacific. I just think they could be suffocated out of long periods of this game by the Irish, and that Ireland will put more points on the board in their dominant spells than the Boks did. I think 20 points will win this but really none of this is a prediction I can make with a whole lot of confidence as both sides have been pretty darn inconsistent lately.

Any indication of crowd numbers? Probably more Kiwis as they knew they'd be in this fixture. I've heard the Irish are struggling to find tickets as the Japanese want to go just to watch as neutrals.

Was hoping for a 2015 France V Ireland type crowd in the Millennium - made me think of that was Ireland's home stadium we'd be unplayable at home

Weather doesn't favour a party crowd. It'll be wet af

Untitled.png

Big red blob is heading north. 'Severe' rain apperently.

Just a few hours till Ireland realizes what playing the All Blacks in a World Cup knockout going to be like
Brace yourselves

Keep hearing conflicting weather reports, bit of a wait and see I think.

I talked about the negatives before, but we should look at how we can win this game through the new attacking system.

I said the game has gone into 50/50 territory given a couple of selections I didn't like, but it's also because we still haven't fully integrated the new system and attacking formations.

-We've been running 3-3-2 and 3-4-1 and 1-3-3-1 to combat the rush defences. It would've been good to play Italy to keep continuing practicing these, but we just gotta hope it keeps coming together tomorrow.
-Read's form as improved and it's mainly because of his new ball carrier role in the central 'pod'.
-I think tomorrow we will see a lot of Richie kicking out to Reece or Ardie on the wings to skip out the rush D if Ireland don't focus defenders on the overlap on the 3-3-2 and instead focus on the central pod
-ALB at 12 must mean Hansen reckons he can create some gaps in the Irish midfield with the new pod system, when more Irish defenders are drawn out wide to cover the overlaps with the 3-3-2 system, giving ALB more space
-Goodhue selection I'm guessing is his link up play with Crusaders pals Bridge and Reece

A lot of these offensive formations are alien to Farrell/Ireland, so I'm hoping we can take advantage of that and really get a few tries up on Ireland. I think the game will be won just on how much the Irish defend these formations and if they can read the play. Also if we have managed to integrate them in time (looked good in the Aussie and SA games)

For me 1/4 finals may be always an upset.
Form wise NZ recent history IRE.
My choice for underdog winning.
Best of luck both.

When you have a strut like the Irish you can't claim to be an underdog.

Underdog by definition has little chance of winning.

This game is a near 50/50,

I actually don't think it is tbf but the Irish confidence has me very worried.

A confident team can be hard to beat.

Psychology and the mental game is a huge part of sport and life tbf.

Ireland feel like they have the mental edge despite form and their World Cup history of shame.

I honestly believe that if they were playing Argentina who they haven't lost to in years they wouldn't come with the same swagger.

Who would have thought that an Irish coach would be coming in to a QF claiming to have the mental edge. It seems far fetched to me, but it's very real.

In 2011 the ABs were crossing every finger and toe.
We were terrified of losing and it nearly lead to disaster, but it worked for us. On the other hand we have been to many world cups and been koed due to overwhelming confidence.

Think the ABs do generally play better with that fear factor, Irish might be on the other side of the spectrum. They don't seem to do well when they are favourites it makes them nervous. They don't seem to have an ounce of nerves atm. Could work for them.

Losing this game would be a massive blow to Hansens legacy. I think he is as scared to lose to the Irish as I am.

I personally want this win more than any. The thought of losing to England or Aussie next week sounds almost satisfying lol. Losing to the Boks in the final would put a smile on my face for a week.

When you have a strut like the Irish you can't claim to be an underdog.

Underdog by definition has little chance of winning.

This game is a near 50/50,

I actually don't think it is tbf but the Irish confidence has me very worried.

A confident team can be hard to beat.

Psychology and the mental game is a huge part of sport and life tbf.

Ireland feel like they have the mental edge despite form and their World Cup history of shame.

I honestly believe that if they were playing Argentina who they haven't lost to in years they wouldn't come with the same swagger.

Who would have thought that an Irish coach would be coming in to a QF claiming to have the mental edge. It seems far fetched to me, but it's very real.

In 2011 the ABs were crossing every finger and toe.
We were terrified of losing and it nearly lead to disaster, but it worked for us. On the other hand we have been to many world cups and been koed due to overwhelming confidence.

Think the ABs do generally play better with that fear factor, Irish might be on the other side of the spectrum. They don't seem to do well when they are favourites it makes them nervous. They don't seem to have an ounce of nerves atm. Could work for them.

Losing this game would be a massive blow to Hansens legacy. I think he is as scared to lose to the Irish as I am.

I personally want this win more than any. The thought of losing to England or Aussie next week sounds almost satisfying lol. Losing to the Boks in the final would put a smile on my face for a week.

After years of seeing the New Zealander untouchable strength of psyche never flinch, all it too is a few Irish fans who's team has been rubbish all year to fake a bit of confidence for a laugh and you kiwis go to pieces. Brilliant.

In all seriousness, I'd say we'll be able to tell about five minutes in whether or not Ireland even have a chance. Either we'll be at the required intensity or we won't, and it'll manifest early on if we are (although starting well will be no guarantee of a result of course). As others have said, we cant afford to go behind.

Drinking is making me even more confident now though, got an irrational feeling we're going to win and no one can convince me otherwise.

In all seriousness, I'd say we'll be able to tell about five minutes in whether or not Ireland even have a chance. Either we'll be at the required intensity or we won't, and it'll manifest early on if we are (although starting well will be no guarantee of a result of course). As others have said, we cant afford to go behind.

Drinking is making me even more confident now though, got an irrational feeling we're going to win and no one can convince me otherwise.

I think you're spot on about the start. If the Irish start like SA did against us, could be a long night at the office for us.

I think you're spot on about the start. If the Irish start like SA did against us, could be a long night at the office for us.
True, but look how that game ended! We're going to need a strong start but we're also going to need to back that up by putting points on the board and the keeping focus, if we dominate the early stages but then switch off for 5 minutes and let you guys run in a few tries it'll be pretty much game over for all the good work.

After years of seeing the New Zealander untouchable strength of psyche never flinch, all it too is a few Irish fans who's team has been rubbish all year to fake a bit of confidence for a laugh and you kiwis go to pieces. Brilliant.
Close to a true story.

Except it isn't a bluff, the Irish aren't having a laugh

They absolutely 1000000% believe it.

If they win this game they will have a serious claim to being the no1 or at least superior to the current ABs

That ain't a joke, it will be true

I'm only speaking for myself here but I am a very irrationally nervous supporter. I always fear the worst and am typically never that confident. The players I'm sure are a different story, but don't let the odd loud fan let you believe all kiwis are super confident all the time!

Latest posts