• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Semi-Final 1] England vs. New Zealand (26/10/2019)

I don't know, all I would say is if anyone can it's England.
as they say on the NFL "any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday"

Eng has the cattle or the boks to beat the ABs. Ireland had the mojo last year
actually many teams can and will beat the ABs on their given Sunday

this Saturday night could be Englands GivenSunday if they make sure that their teamwork is better than the ABs

Among plenty of other things, one specific area that is causing me a fair few concerns is the scrummaging of Ta'avao off the bench. Despite being a pretty huge guy, he has never been that great in the scrum. He has obviously worked hard on that area of his game, but having to face the English reserve props of Cole and Marler (who I think are exceptional in the scrum), that could be an area where if the game is close as we all expect, England may have an edge in the final 30 or so minutes.

Ofa is fine, he can scrum with anyone, but Ta'avao is a worry, despite his work elsewhere.

agree. it showed in the first game vs the Boks how vital owenFranks was. we got owned in most of the scrums.

A mate lives in my house who is a Kiwi, he never shuts up about them he shows me Haka Flashmob videos like he's a 55 year old mother who just discovered the internet. I never used to dislike the AB's this much but I hope they get smashed just so I can kick the door off the hinges and haw haw in his face.

I like your intensity.

Even if it can definitively damage my french brain saying that, i think England has a very good chances to touche the grail this year.

Two of England's tries were well worked created tries - May's first one and Sink's try were both class. The two others were scored off of big Australian mistakes. But clinically taken. We built pressure and scored our other points from scrum pens and ruck infringements like Lealiifano not rolling away or pinned on England's side of the ruck.

AB's 7 tries, - three of them could arguably have been ruled out for infringements - 1st one Retallick comes in at the side to clear out Stander so Smith can sneak through the gap, second one for Smith Reece arguably offside and there is crossover between him and Smith to allow Smith to score in the corner, the Todd try, Beauden Barrett comes in at the side of the preceding ruck to clear out illegally. Beauden's try was scored off of a forced error rather than creative. But the other 3 were excellent well worked tries; one From a typical AB scoring from a turnover - Bridge's one after Ardie stole the ball and then used his incredible pace and offload to Coles.

The downside is Owens was reffing and let all infringements slide and the tries stand.

Conclusion, England can create good tries - at least two and not just score off of mistakes, but not expecting the ones Australia gave us. Maybe one but England better take it. If ABs score 3 of their own, and Owens and TMOs do their bloody job and disallow others for infringements, and England can build enough other points from penalties, then maybe we've got a chance of making this close.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50141346

I see Hansen is preparing for a shootout if all tied after extra time.

A mate lives in my house who is a Kiwi, he never shuts up about them he shows me Haka Flashmob videos like he's a 55 year old mother who just discovered the internet. I never used to dislike the AB's this much but I hope they get smashed just so I can kick the door off the hinges and haw haw in his face.
hey-what-look-out-icecreamsm4bultch-comics-com-32248679.png

Hi guys new here

Was on a Aussie based rugby forum which is usually good for a bit of insightful rugby banter but as you can imagine the chat in there is a touch sad with their unfortunate departure from RWC, loss of their illustrious leader and the down turn of rugby in the country.
Now it seems like their is an abundance of Northern Hemisphere fans here so I thought I would jump in and balance out the opinions here.

Looking forward to this Saturday expecting a close game if England play really well otherwise maybe the ABs finishing off with a 12 point win.

England are looking sharp and confident ( this time rightly so), but I can't go past my boys and how each game they are getting a bit more clinical and a bit more cohesive as a group.

Looking back at the last five times England and NZ have played each other, in four out of five games the winning margin was 5 points or less. Two of them were 1 point victories for NZ including the most recent (and most relevant) game last November.

NZ are rightly favourites, but I think recent history suggests it could be a close game.

The England team taking the field this weekend is also likely to be a fair bit stronger than the team that played in the AIs (none of Tuilagi, the Vunipolas or Watson featured). You could definitely argue NZ have got stronger too, but they weren't missing four of their best players then.

NZ are rightly favourites, but I think recent history suggests it could be a close game.

Recent history suggested Ireland had a chance against NZ. Then they lost to Japan and got blown off the park. Recent history counts for nothing in a WC im afraid. However I don't think anyone can beat NZ apart from Eng and SA.

Not sure what the fuss about Owens is about? Yes he likes a chat, but in the modern game with so many complex laws that lives so fast, it's great to have ref who talks to the players and helps them through the game. I don't think he works for or against either team in this contest, and tends to ref the stuff on the ground well, often giving advantage to the attacking team. So England just need to make sure they are that they are that team. We can't stand off and defend against NZ anyway so shouldn't be an issue.

but regardless who refs should never be an issue. Refs don't win you games, playing well does, and that's what we need to focus on.
Help me out folks. I won't deny that I'm not a great technician of the game as my extreme lack of talent meant I stopped playing as a kid. However, it never stopped my love for the game. Despite my lack of in depth technical nous, I do.manage to predict outcomes quite well. For example, I never saw anything other than a stuffing for Ireland from the ABs and I also saw Wales losing to France, which they almost did.

My concern is that I can really see England getting roasted on Saturday...and I'm right too often.

Can any of you more clued up folk allay my fears. I'll be watching on the Algarve with mainly Welsh folk and the thought of my predicted drubbing is hurting.

How the fluke can we win this? We're simply not good enough, are we?

yes we are good enough, and NZ have had to show their hand more early than they would have liked This tournament due to the unexpected Ireland game. Our defence is probably one of the best, if not the best in the tournament so far and we have attacking threats all over the field and some excellent kicking options that can keep the scoreboard ticking over. The issue now is all mental. Can our playmakers keep their heads and make the right decisions for the full 80? Can our handling be up to the expected standard? Etc.

The answers will only come on the day. NZ players are forged in rugby fire from birth. Their school matches are televised nationally and it's really the only thing they do. Nearly every little boy wants to be an AB. They are used to pressure and the key is they always back themselves, because history tells them that they can. It's an upward positive mental spiral for them, but that wheel can be broken and they can be filled with doubt, like all the rest, and doubt is what causes teams to make mistakes, get frustrated and not perform to their level.

we just need to go out and give them both barrels , hard as can be, and back ourselves as much as they do. It's all to play for and nothing is written.

The only change I would like to see for England's 23 is JC in for jj
Slade has proved his fitness

Hi guys new here

Was on a Aussie based rugby forum which is usually good for a bit of insightful rugby banter but as you can imagine the chat in there is a touch sad with their unfortunate departure from RWC, loss of their illustrious leader and the down turn of rugby in the country.
Now it seems like their is an abundance of Northern Hemisphere fans here so I thought I would jump in and balance out the opinions here.

Looking forward to this Saturday expecting a close game if England play really well otherwise maybe the ABs finishing off with a 12 point win.

England are looking sharp and confident ( this time rightly so), but I can't go past my boys and how each game they are getting a bit more clinical and a bit more cohesive as a group.
Hey mate, welcome. Out of curiosity which Aussie forum were you referring to? The Roar? G&G?

Random but if Aus played ireland who woulf have won?

NZ scored more tries but had 50% possession where as England had 36% possession which does make a difference. And the scores were roughly the same. 46 - 14. 40 - 16. But then warmups we put 52 on Ireland but ABs won 36 - 0 vs Aus.

Both Englans and NZ have only conceded more than 20 points once in 2019 in the scotlNd game where we switched off and the Nz Aus game where they were down to 14 men.

I think it will be close. And i keep getting a sense of confidence England could take this one. Aus where getting no where vs Englands defence, with us defending again and again but vs NZ Ireland were getting some go forward but just couldnt string phases together and paid the price. If we can keep our handling error and penalty count down we can win this.

Unfair though it is, this game totally defines Jones tenure.

Lose it and we've had a totally par World Cup preceded by a winning streak and a horrible losing streak. Jones turned it around well after 2015 (would have been hard not to), but that would be an overall record that several other coaches could have achieved and not the value add that we're paying the big bucks for.

Win it and we've taken down the 2 time defending champs and made the final. The bloke's a genius....

It's also a career defining match for several of our players. Many attach a "world class" epithet to Manu, Faz, Itoje, the Vunipolae and May in particular. Not always rightly in my view, but now is totally the time for them to earn that tag and that means outplaying their opponents. Can Itoje keep Retallick quiet, can Binny outshine Read?

Beating a poor Aus is one thing, doing a number on the ABs quite another. Players and coach alike will need to raise their games and on Saturday we'll find out once and for all how good they really are.

We can win it, but only if we keep up intensity, concentration and discipline for the full 80. Mo'unga needs to be having Curryhill shaped nightmares for years on the back of this game.

Not sure what the fuss about Owens is about? Yes he likes a chat, but in the modern game with so many complex laws that lives so fast, it's great to have ref who talks to the players and helps them through the game. I don't think he works for or against either team in this contest, and tends to ref the stuff on the ground well, often giving advantage to the attacking team. So England just need to make sure they are that they are that team. We can't stand off and defend against NZ anyway so shouldn't be an issue.

but regardless who refs should never be an issue. Refs don't win you games, playing well does, and that's what we need to focus on.

yes we are good enough, and NZ have had to show their hand more early than they would have liked This tournament due to the unexpected Ireland game. Our defence is probably one of the best, if not the best in the tournament so far and we have attacking threats all over the field and some excellent kicking options that can keep the scoreboard ticking over. The issue now is all mental. Can our playmakers keep their heads and make the right decisions for the full 80? Can our handling be up to the expected standard? Etc.

The answers will only come on the day. NZ players are forged in rugby fire from birth. Their school matches are televised nationally and it's really the only thing they do. Nearly every little boy wants to be an AB. They are used to pressure and the key is they always back themselves, because history tells them that they can. It's an upward positive mental spiral for them, but that wheel can be broken and they can be filled with doubt, like all the rest, and doubt is what causes teams to make mistakes, get frustrated and not perform to their level.

we just need to go out and give them both barrels , hard as can be, and back ourselves as much as they do. It's all to play for and nothing is written.

Are you not familiar with The Nigel Owens Show? It's on every saturday from 2 - 4 pm during rugby season.

Latest posts