• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Semi-Final 1] England vs. New Zealand (26/10/2019)

Watching those England Australia highlights again, Daly gets done by someone dummying the same direction as they're running.

New Zealand are, by some distance, the best team in the world.

In order for England to have a chance, they have to play a near faultless game. They'll have to dominate the breakdown, which means Curry and Underhill outperforming their opposite numbers, and possibly Itoje playing a far more mobile and open game than he did against Australia. Then, once in possession, Youngs and Farell will have to kick accurately, and ensure that New Zealand's back three have little opportunity to counter attack.

Anything less, and i think New Zealand win comfortably.

Hi guys new here

Was on a Aussie based rugby forum which is usually good for a bit of insightful rugby banter but as you can imagine the chat in there is a touch sad with their unfortunate departure from RWC, loss of their illustrious leader and the down turn of rugby in the country.
Now it seems like their is an abundance of Northern Hemisphere fans here so I thought I would jump in and balance out the opinions here.

Looking forward to this Saturday expecting a close game if England play really well otherwise maybe the ABs finishing off with a 12 point win.

England are looking sharp and confident ( this time rightly so), but I can't go past my boys and how each game they are getting a bit more clinical and a bit more cohesive as a group.

1 post and you've also become the first person to give me a dislike in 11 years on the board. Outstanding effort.

I'm glad for the sake of the tournament that the All Blacks have to go through this English side because outside the Boks they are the only other true contender in my opinion. This is EJs true yard stick on how much he has lifted England. He known for a long time this match up was probably coming so I'm interested to see what he has planned.

I can't wait. It's going to be an interesting match

https://ranked-list-images.files.bb...ng_team-77a5ee6010625c3cea92ce4b4655729b.html

I make 6-9 in favour of NZ in a combined XV based on what I have seen this tournament. Fair?

some 50/50 calls . Moody has been pretty good from what I have seen, but picked Mako even though was superb v Aus and maybe a bit of bias here.

can't go past a Brodie - Whitelock lock partnership, which has been the best in WR for 4 years.

TC at 6 and Ardie at 7. Read was massive v Ireland.

Wanted both Faz and BB in my team, but Mo'unga has also been very impressive at 10.

A Manu - ALB midfield would be mouth watering.

Reece shades Watson .

https://ranked-list-images.files.bb...ng_team-77a5ee6010625c3cea92ce4b4655729b.html

I make 6-9 in favour of NZ in a combined XV based on what I have seen this tournament. Fair?

some 50/50 calls . Moody has been pretty good from what I have seen, but picked Mako even though was superb v Aus and maybe a bit of bias here.

can't go past a Brodie - Whitelock lock partnership, which has been the best in WR for 4 years.

Wanted both Faz and BB in my team, but Mo'unga has also been very impressive at 10.

Reece shades Watson .
https://ranked-list-images.files.bb...ng_team-f3f4753a6c17b7975c2b48872c7d929b.html

I fixed it for you....Farrell best position is 12 so we boot out ALB and keep manu.

I think Eng locks while superb have not have a standout tournament.

Cunderhill for flankers.

And I prefer English wings.

BB gets in my virtue if Daly being pants.

Reece shades Watson .
Very tough, apart from maybe the props and fullback a lot of them are stylistic calls, 9-6 too for me. If I was adding English to a NZ XV I'd only take England's props and Itoje for Whitelock, if I was doing the same with an England XV I'd take Brodie, Savea for either flanker, Aaron Smith, and BB. Reece and ALB might improve them but it's much of a muchness.

Be interesting to see if last week's games have any effect, you'd expect if they did it's advantage NZ, game won after 20 and a lot more less defending than England.

Both teams are good enough as teams that the combined XV wouldn't improve them. The England training camp has been going for 4 months and it shows.

https://ranked-list-images.files.bb...ng_team-f3f4753a6c17b7975c2b48872c7d929b.html

I fixed it for you....Farrell best position is 12 so we boot out ALB and keep manu.

Cunderhill for flankers.

yeah would not quibble with Mo'unga at 10 and having Faz at 12 and BB 15, who is significantly ahead of Daly.

ALB was excellent v SA at 13, which is why I went for him there.

Ardie for me shades Underhill for his dynamism and I'd have him at 7.

but yes, others are arguable like Reece and Watson.

I'm super worried that Slade is going to be found out badly in this game.
Whereas I know for a fact that Daly will be found out, that's not even up for debate. Playing someone so shakey and incomplete at full-back, against New Zealand, is inviting disaster.

I'm super worried that Slade is going to be found out badly in this game.
Whereas I know for a fact that Daly will be found out, that's not even up for debate. Playing someone so shakey and incomplete at full-back, against New Zealand, is inviting disaster.

I agree I find Slade's solo rush in the 13 channel to be deeply worrying and outweighs any positives his selection brings. No doubt the All Blacks will have looked at this and if he shoots early (missus) it will be exploited and with only Daly covering behind, it'll be try time. Personally that's why I'd play JJ. Slade brings another kicking option AKA ceding possession to a team that won't give it back. I'd suggest if that's his USP it's the wrong one for this particular game.

In Eddie we trust............

That is what I'm hoping for but with Farrell seeming to find some form against Aus after looking pretty bad in the pool, my money is on him starting at 10. So JJ at 13 please.

Cunderhill for flankers.

In my opinion, for the combined XV we are mainly better than England over most of the park man for man, but very marginal in areas. I think tighthead we can't match them at all. Itoje is debatable (still would rather experienced Whitelock personally) and 12/13 is up for a good debate, also the wingers. ALB needs to be making the cut, he's the best centre in the world currently. Sam Cane and Ardie are better than Underhill and Curry IMO and Billy vs Read is an interesting one, but Read's career is spectacular and his current form in the new role is great.

I think it's fair to say that we will have more players in combined side, because of our record and ranking over the past decade. Teams with more English players than NZ players don't quite add up if we are speaking objectively but I understand England pundits and fans wanting to shade us in numbers in the team for the support factor before one of their biggest games in years, fair enough! Here's what I think;

1.Mako
2.Coles
3.Sinckler
4.Brodie
5.Whitelock
6.Savea
7.Cane
8.Read
9.A.Smith
10.Mo'Unga
11.May
12.Tuilagi
13.ALB
14.Reece
15.B.Barrett

16.George
17.Moody
18.Cole
19.Itoje
20.Billy Vunipola
21.TJ.Perenara
22.O.Farrell
23.B.Smith

Just to touch on the Itoje vs Whitelock point again, Whitelock has dominated with the Crusaders and has won 2 world cups and he's only just turned 31, the experience there is huge and the Brodie/Whitelock combination is immense.

I agree I find Slade's solo rush in the 13 channel to be deeply worrying and outweighs any positives his selection brings. No doubt the All Blacks will have looked at this and if he shoots early (missus) it will be exploited and with only Daly covering behind, it'll be try time. Personally that's why I'd play JJ. Slade brings another kicking option AKA ceding possession to a team that won't give it back. I'd suggest if that's his USP it's the wrong one for this particular game.

In Eddie we trust............

What slade brings is that split play maker who is also a good runner, who help us make use our wingers, when fraz daly slade all have the ability to put manu may watson into space or run it themselves can be a big plus. For all JJs pace he can be blinkered. They both like a good intercept.

Now defence JJ is better but i dont remember slade being a liability in defence, yes he made a bad decision in his first game back shooting out the line but he made 8 tackles missed 2, manu made 8 missed 3

https://www.rugbypass.com/live/rugb...ralia-at-oita-stadium-on-19102019/2019/stats/

Cunderhill for flankers.
For the love of god - any god; **** it, ALL gods - can we please stop this insistance on amalgamating 2 names into 1.
I hate it with dog breeds; it has absolutely no place when talking about human!

We're not German, we're allowed to use the space bar when required!

For the love of god - any god; **** it, ALL gods - can we please stop this insistance on amalgamating 2 names into 1.
I hate it with dog breeds; it has absolutely no place when talking about human!

We're not German, we're allowed to use the space bar when required!

Markler starting props, Vunicola on the bench.

Latest posts