• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

Very interesting match up in store...

As its been said, this will be a game won by high levels of accuracy and basic skills, especially in kicking contests. Can either team find grass or get a competition up for the high ball? I'd say the latter is unlikely unless the ref plans to penalise the blocking line (a real pet peeve of mine) but we'll have to wait an see on that count

Borthwick, itoje etc will need another master plan at the lineout, if it functions as it did v New Zealand, at 90% +, then England win the game for me. Etzebeth and de Jager are monsters however, as is PSDT. The other platform, the scrum, i dont think is too heavily skewed SA's way to invoke large scale penalties, maybe a small nudge here or there, but should be a straight fair contest, and used more as an attacking platform than as a penalty machine

The reality is, with England's ball carriers being incredibly adept at deceiving defences and finding soft shoulders, in a way the welsh were unable to do at any point in the 80 minutes on saturday (I barely saw a a single tips pass), the Saffer defense will be more stretched, and England will find spaces to exploit in the backfield or between defenders. Ford & Farrell showed such calmness under pressure, that I feel quite confident saying that.

The size of the Springbok pack is immense, but it isnt the size of Mako that makes him great, nor sinckler, nor billy. It's their footwork going into contact and their handling skills in and before contact. If SA rush up too hard, then England will play as AB's do vs them, with kick passes and chips over to the likes of May and Watson, who are so adept in the air. May's technique is so difficult but he pulls it off so well without using the traditional "basket" as most Back 3 players do

Ultimately the offensive weapons of England and the decision making intelligence of 1-15 should be the difference point, but only if they play with that intelligence and awareness. If they get blinkered, panic, or tense up then we'll see a much much tighter affair. However given they managed a full 80 minute performance of the focus and concentration that coaches have wet dreams over, I think they'll be more than ready to potentially even go up another gear in this match

We will take Eddie with a smile. Rassie is gonna step down as coach after this tournament and focus as a hands on director of rugby. Rassie and Eddie in one team...

DhuHo_dWkAA-9mL.jpg

We play ugly kicking rugby but yet we have scores the most tries and points in the world cup .. haha eish

I think EJ will go back to Japan - either at international level or in that new club comp.
The guys a living legend over there, and his wife is Japanese

It will give me a bit of extra pleasure if Eddie Jones and John Mitchell doesn't get the win, purely because of the manner in which they stiffed SA rugby to take the current job they have.

I love it that every non-saffa is looking at every aspect to hype up the England team and also downplay our performances so far. And that's okay, the way I see it, it's England's World Cup to lose, more than it is ours to win.

Who would've thought that we would be here after we were ranked 8th in the world, losing to Italy with Andries Coetzee as our fullback??? We certainly have had an upward curve to where we are now.

But today has been absolutely brutal. It's like it's radio silence in the media of what is going on in Japan, is anyone injured? nothing. The only thing making my day is that video of the team after the Wales game where the team asks us to be behind them for one more week as well as the phone call President Ramaphosa made to Kolisi to tell him he better win against Wales as he's on his way to Japan to lift the cup with him. Just like Nelson Mandela did in 1995 and Thabo Mbeki did in 2007.

I don't want to take away anything from the Springboks achievements. However I do feel that their style is very defensive and also a bit negative as they seem to rely on kicking to the opposition and hoping they make a mistake. Yes this is similar to how England played against Australia and S.A do have an excellent defence, but the difference for me is that England have shown some real inventiveness in attack this year. South Africa haven't really looked like a huge attacking threat outside of Namibia and Canada (not really relevant to this game) and so relying on England to make mistakes takes control out of their hands and gives it to England. If England do make mistakes then S.A will certainly capitalise on them and have a good chance of winning. However if England turn up like they did against NZ then I don't think the Springboks tactics will work.

Just a note about S.A defence, yes they have good stats, but the point people are making is that outside of NZ they haven't been truly tested by a great attacking team. Yes Japan tried, but as soon S.A dominated the set piece Japan had to be flawless and it was never going to happen. Wales...did test them a bit, but with both sides kicking it wasn't a great test of the S.A defence. Yes S.A can defend well, but if they just let England play their game then England will find a way through. S.A can't just sit back an try to make this an arm wrestle imo because England will expose them.

We play ugly kicking rugby but yet we have scores the most tries and points in the world cup .. haha eish

See for me this is a misleading stat. You have to look at the context of some of those points and tries, which is simply Namibia and Canada and for me those two game have no relation at all to this stage of knockout rugby. Again, not trying to take away from the Springboks achievements because they deserve to be in the final, but simply quoting stats without any context is ridiculous. When it has come to the knockout stages S.A have gone very defensive and tactical to win, but haven't really played expansive, attacking rugby. It's worked so far, but I think it has real weaknesses than can be exploited.

It will give me a bit of extra pleasure if Eddie Jones and John Mitchell doesn't get the win, purely because of the manner in which they stiffed SA rugby to take the current job they have.
And SA rugby stiffed Sale Sharks to get Mitchell.
We started training up Curry the day that happened purely in preparation for this game.

The North remembers.

Eddie will stay IMO for another World cup.
Already on a 2 years extension.

Only Cole, Marler, Lawes, wilson, Heinz, Youngs, May, Francis would prob be too old for another RWC.
George, Vunipola, Manu would be 32 next RWC so I think would still prob be ok.

Eddie would be 63 and a Coaching job for a Japan club earning big bucks would prob make more sense.
Also would give the English coaches another 4 years to step up more.

Joesph sounds like he is staying with the Japan national team.

And SA rugby stiffed Sale Sharks to get Mitchell.
We started training up Curry the day that happened purely in preparation for this game.

The North remembers.

Haha!

We are also preparing Curry. Cape Malay Curry, Durban Holbrand, Breyani, Bobotie etc.

The South eats Curry for breakfast.

burst out laughing at the office, frowns everywhere - farkit, what a classic

Haha, I'm glad you got that one. Whenever I vist my parents-in-laws in PMB we also go to an Indian Restaurant, or rather any restaurant in KZN. And we go for BunnyChows. I always go for the Lamb Curry mild. But man that curry is so damn hot. And that says a lot, like I was on a tobasco addiction for a long time.

Eddie will stay IMO for another World cup.
Already on a 2 years extension.

Only Cole, Marler, Lawes, wilson, Heinz, Youngs, May, Francis would prob be too old for another RWC.
George, Vunipola, Manu would be 32 next RWC so I think would still prob be ok.

Eddie would be 63 and a Coaching job for a Japan club earning big bucks would prob make more sense.
Also would give the English coaches another 4 years to step up more.

Joesph sounds like he is staying with the Japan national team.

The same can be said about the SA team. I think it's only Schalk Brits, Duane Vermeulen, Beast Mtawarira, Frans Steyn and Francois Louw that will retire before the next WC.

All the other guys are 30 or younger. Hard to believe that Pollard is now just 25. He still has 2 WC in him...

I have such a brutal hangover today..

Right now depleted of energy and will to live I see England putting 40 points on us
Tomorrow life will creep back and I will have some will to fight another week - by then they will hammer us 30-18
Wednesday I will be back and based on their more "complete" game play versus our "conservative" one I'd give them beating us by one score. J May it will be off course with Mapimpi falling of his legs.
Thursday I will have my one on one with Rassie (yes off all the voices in my head, Rassie is also there) as he will assure me of his master plan and I will be assured we do to them what Wednesday said would happen to us. DDE stepping Faz in 82nd minute. Wonderful game of good around rugby
Friday I will be on planet "rugby" useless to society and family, living the dream and struggling throughout the night with no sleep, getting used to his now. Reality will be a blur and nothing else will matter but the Cup
Saturday we will have a boerewors roll braai at my place with cocktails, champagne and good times. By the time the game start I will be somewhere special again.
Sorry, it's in my DNA

Would love to add by the way, how exceptional Jamie George's darts were at the weekend. He lobbed them, fired them in, and time them all to perfection against bigger jumpers. Truly exceptional, if often over looked skill, and will need more of it on show this weekend

Would love to add by the way, how exceptional Jamie George's darts were at the weekend. He lobbed them, fired them in, and time them all to perfection against bigger jumpers. Truly exceptional, if often over looked skill, and will need more of it on show this weekend

If Savea could have picked one off, I hope Lood, Etzebeth, PSDT, Snyman, Mosters and Vermeulen can do the same.

What do the odds-makers say about this match? Is England favored to win?

From the Saracens winning the Heineken Cup to the Prem Cup to this, it feels like England is taking back the rugby world...

If Savea could have picked one off, I hope Lood, Etzebeth, PSDT, Snyman, Mosters and Vermeulen can do the same.

That wasnt George, it was the lift being a little bit slow. I'd say they probably can do better than the AB's in the lineout, but the skill of george to work within an inch to hit his jumpers, and it had to be that good to avoid Retallick and Whitelock in that second half, was exceptional. If you see a lineout in the highlights, have a look at just how close they regularly were to pilfering ball when itoje/lawes/curry were at their apex

Will require some very intelligent movement and calls from the England jumpers to be successful for sure, but Borthwick seems like the man you'd want to do it

What do the odds-makers say about this match? Is England favored to win?

From the Saracens winning the Heineken Cup to the Prem Cup to this, it feels like England is taking back the rugby world...

England 1.5, RSA 2.88. Which is about 1/2 and 9/5 respectively in old money.

England aren't as strongly favoured as NZ were to win the semi final, though.

It must be just the semis talking there because pre world cup you'd have said England-SA is a 50-50 game.

Latest posts