• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

Question why did Eddie abandon so many of the team that played in Argentina?
Now i know Argentina isn't the same standard as NZ and Ireland but we played well IMO.

Why get rid off Vesty as attack coach?
Why not keep Wilson in the squad?
Why not keep looking at Slade potentially as a 13?
Ford for me played his best rugby in that tour without Farrell in, Lozowski as a 12 added a much bigger running threat.

So many ? decisions by eddie in the last 6 months.

Gone and done another.

1. Mako Vunipola - Played OK. Better than last week, still not the greatest scrummager.
2. Dylan Hartley - Meh... Solid set peice, took a nice high ball. Still underwhelming around the park
3. Kyle Sinckler - Played well. Carried very hard into an organised defence and produced quick ball. Was covering a lot of ground chasing high ball. Scrum wasn't fantastic (2 pens), but a large net gain overall over Danny Boy.
4. Maro Itoje - Was OK. Putting in lots of solid work, but not able to have the influence he has had previously.
5. George Kruis - Meh, put in a decent number of tackles. Not in good form, but even then, I'm not his greatest fan.
6. Chris Robshaw - Meh.
7. James Haskell - Did OK. Played the role of a 6, and did so decently. Not particularly effective carrier, but very willing.
8. Sam Simmonds - Didn't have a noticeable impact on the game. Needs to be selected in a correctly balanced pack.

9. Richard Wigglesworth - Nope. Military medium.
10. Owen Farrell - He's not a very good international FH. Second-five is a much better role for him. Nice kick for Daly's try.
11. Jonny May -As I said last week "Does exactly what he always does. He's that kid at school that was really fast."
12. Ben Te'o - Did OK.
13. Jonathan Joseph - Seems a shadow of himself, just really ineffective. Needs more space than he's currently being provided.
14. Elliot Daly - Did well. Pretty much nailed down in the 15/23 when fit.
15. Anthony Watson - Did OK. Unfortunate injury, which I really, really hope isn't serious.

16. Jamie George - Did OK.
17. Joe Marler - Did OK, silly penalty aside.
18. Dan Cole - Scrummaged well.
19. Joe Launchbury - Did OK.
20. Don Armand - Did OK.
21. Danny Care - Did OK.
22. George Ford - Did OK. England looked better when he was on.
23. Brown - Did OK.

Loosehead. Not saying he shouldn't start, but Mako still isn't a fantastic scrummager.
Hartley/Hooker... hmmmm
Tighthead... Think Sinckler should be maintained given today, very effective carrier and tackler. Not yet a top level scrummager.
Second row Would really like Maro to find some form. I think Isiekwe needs to be given a good look in against SA. Still not convinced about Kruis, I don't think he's the top level operator many make him out to be.
Blindside. Here we go... I'd really like to see some back row combos that don't involve Chris.
Scrum Half. Wigglesworth isn't the answer to any of our questions, Care isn't great as a starter.
Fly Half. As I said last week, Owen isn't a top 10, Ford is decent, Smith a good understudy.
Inside Centre. Same as last week
Outside Centre. Might be an opportunity for someone to come in here... Nowell?
Wings. Still not convinced by May, unless he's given a load of space he's not particularly effective.
FB. Still think Watson should be persevered with.

Firstly the enshrining of certain players as being somehow undroppable, when they haven't been anywhere near good enough to justify being so. Robshaw is that guy at the moment. I think it's partly because of some of the unfair criticism he's received in the past, but he's not Ritchie McCaw. He's part of the collective problem we've had this tournament with a lack of power.
Mike Brown, Hartley, Cole.... these guys are not so far ahead of other players to justify being put on a pedestal. As I say, England have been at fault for not being proactive about bringing through talent for a loooooong time. A distrust of youth, and overestimating players already in place is at the core of this problem.

The sort of team I'd like to see in SA...

1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Sinckler
4. Launchbury
5. Isiekwe
6. Underhill
7. Kvesic
8. Vunipola

9. Robson
10. Ford/Smith
11. Earle
12. Farrell
13. Nowell
14. Watson/Daly
15. Watson/Daly

16. George
17. Marler/Vunipola
18. Williams/Hill
19. Itoje
20. Ewers
21. Youngs/Care/Maunder?
22. Ford/Smith
23. Ibitoye

Last edited:
I disagree, the reason people put up contestable bombs is because there's quite a high chance that you'll win them.

Watson's been OK at FB. I think it should be between him and Daly.

Has Daly played full back for Wasps?
Hasn't worn the 15 shirt in quite a while but the defensive structure they run quite often when they're expecting kicks is to have Daly at 15 while Le Roux goes up and joins the line. Having a 15 who doesn't play there every week isn't ideal but he's not a stranger to the position.

Well, seeing as though Watson's injury seems to be pretty bad, I wouldn't bet against it.

Isn't it time we start questioning Eddie Jones worth?
5 out 6 is the worst position England have ever had in the six nations.

He always picks his favourites even if they are so far out of form that they have a negative impact on the rest of the team.

If I was a young English player in premiership I would be looking at jobs in France as playing for England is an nothing but humiliation

Isn't it time we start questioning Eddie Jones worth?
5 out 6 is the worst position England have ever had in the six nations.

He always picks his favourites even if they are so far out of form that they have a negative impact on the rest of the team.

If I was a young English player in premiership I would be looking at jobs in France as playing for England is an nothing but humiliation

Not IMO, Certainly wait till after SA, but the RWC is only 18 months away.

We have lost what 4 games since he started.
I guess your last statement sums up your overreacting.
wad.jpg

Latest posts