• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England tour of Argentina

It's interesting, because England have only 3 games, of which the first against the Baabaas will be with a even more depleted squad. I'm hoping Underhill plays 7 and performs well, because he now might get the nod ahead of Wood for the next 2 games. The Currys may have potential, but I feel it may be too early for them still and we need some more depth in the back row.

Northampton play Stade on Friday, so they wouldn't be called up regardless.

It's interesting, because England have only 3 games, of which the first against the Baabaas will be with a even more depleted squad. I'm hoping Underhill plays 7 and performs well, because he now might get the nod ahead of Wood for the next 2 games. The Currys may have potential, but I feel it may be too early for them still and we need some more depth in the back row.

Underhill has a little bit more experience, but I'd argue he's been OK in the Pro12 whereas the Currys have been noticeably good in the Premiership which is a tougher league IMO.

Underhill's also been playing 6 for the most part.

I've watched a number of Ospreys games recently trying to understand the hype around him and I'm not really seeing it TBH. He just seems a bit anonymous in comparison to the Curry twins who are an obvious nuisance at the breakdown.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but right now I'd far rather see Ben Curry in the 7 shirt rather than Underhill.

Underhill has also been man of the match against teams like Clermont and Munster.

He's been freakishly good on occasion.

Tbh I haven't seen him, basing a lot on rumour. It will be interesting to see how often the Currys and Underhill play. They are all young with potential. This is the issue with Jones' selection for the back row. Most of it is based on relying on limited experience and if there are injuries etc...going to youth with potential.

Ah that explains it. Tbh I doubt it matters for Yarde in the long run though, even if he has got another chance.

I know a NZer who is convinced that Marland Yarde would be pushing for an all blacks spot and it's crazy that we don't pick him more often.

It's possible that there is some kind of tropical disease in the antipodes that makes people think he is good, and it only effects Eddie Jones and this one guy.

He's not exactly the worst there's been in England shirt, he's had genuinely good games. But there really is no reason to pick him over Wade, I get that Wade is considered one-dimensional or a poor decision maker or a bad defender but Yarde is all those things while also not being as quick.

I know a NZer who is convinced that Marland Yarde would be pushing for an all blacks spot and it's crazy that we don't pick him more often.

It's possible that there is some kind of tropical disease in the antipodes that makes people think he is good, and it only effects Eddie Jones and this one guy.

He's not exactly the worst there's been in England shirt, he's had genuinely good games. But there really is no reason to pick him over Wade, I get that Wade is considered one-dimensional or a poor decision maker or a bad defender but Yarde is all those things while also not being as quick.

Sometimes when i see Yarde run i have to pause at how slow he actually is.

TBF he played well v New Zealand on the 2014 tour.

I don't rate Yarde either but he can't be as bad as we're making out here? 7 Tries in 11 Caps (2 vs NZ, 2 vs Aus, 2 vs Arg, 1 vs Wales)

Hasn't he got a terrible strike rate at club level?
I'm sure someone collated everyone's stats, maybe last season, And he was awful. It wasn't even because Quins were a bad side cause their other winger had a load more.

To be fair, Quins' game plan hasn't got the best out of Yarde.

He's by no means England's best winger, but I don't think he deserves the level of disdain he gets. His scoring record at test level is very good and I don't recall any incidences were he's been really bad for England.

For example, May has had a lot more poor games IMO but has balanced that out with a couple of excellent ones. Basically much more extreme in terms of highs and lows ...

I'd always go for Nowell, Watson and Daly ahead of either, but I don't think Yarde is as bad as he's made out to be. As much as I'm uncomfortable about is selection, I'd have Solomona in the mix too. It's unfortunate we won't get to see what he could have done in Argentina.

Hoping they call up Lewington but can't see that happening.

I'm a fan of Lewington but I watched him in the play-offs and his hands seem to have gone to **** ... honestly he butchered so many chances across the semis, I'm tempted to start calling him Pat.

I'm a fan of Lewington but I watched him in the play-offs and his hands seem to have gone to **** ... honestly he butchered so many chances across the semis, I'm tempted to start calling him Pat.

How did Joe Cokanasiga get on in the playoffs?

As for Yarde, I'm happy with him as a squad player, a winger who only gets time in the absence of the above. Wish it was Wade but :/

Cokanasiga got injured in the semis . I'm not sure how seriously?

I can't find their lineup for the second leg on Wednesday, so I'm not sure whether he's for fo selection or not.

Barbarians squad

Backs: Horacio Agulla (Castres & Argentina), Adam Ashley-Cooper (Bordeaux Begles & Australia), Yann David (Toulouse and France), Kahn Fotuali'i (Bath Rugby & Samoa), Robbie Freuan (Bath Rugby), Rory Kockott (Castres & France), Ian Madigan (Bordeaux Begles & Ireland), Timoci Nagusa (Montpellier & Fiji), Waisea Nayacalavu (Stade Francais & Fiji), Ruan Pienaar (Ulster & South Africa), David Smith (Castres), Frans Steyn (Montpellier & South Africa).
Forwards: Patricio Albacete (Toulouse & Argentina), Steffon Armitage (Pau & England), Schalk Brits (Saracens & South Africa), Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse & France), Corey Flynn (Star RFC & New Zealand), Ben Franks (London Irish & New Zealand), Gillian Galan (Toulouse), Richard Hibbard (Gloucester & Wales), Facundo Isa (Lyon & Argentina), Census Johnston (Toulouse & Samoa), Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier & Georgia), WP Nel (Edinburgh & Scotland), Mike Ross (Leinster & Ireland), Joe Tekori (Toulouse & Samoa), Jeremy Thrush (Gloucester & New Zealand).

Latest posts