• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: South Africa - Wales (11-09-2011, 20:30)

Funny

When a tackler wants to play the ball he needs to release him first... guess they don't teach you guys that up north since both Warburton and Barnes missed that rule all game!!

Funny

When a tackler wants to play the ball he needs to release him first... guess they don't teach you guys that up north since both Warburton and Barnes missed that rule all game!!

While I do agree with that statement, as the Welsh forwards never ever released the tackled player to place the ball, all I think this will do is stir up some tensions. It was a highly emotional game for everyone up North. No point now in dick swinging regarding who did what, and who didn't do whatever. Lets just move on.

This game drained everyones energy and emotions.

While I do agree with that statement, as the Welsh forwards never ever released the tackled player to place the ball, all I think this will do is stir up some tensions. It was a highly emotional game for everyone up North. No point now in dick swinging regarding who did what, and who didn't do whatever. Lets just move on.

This game drained everyones energy and emotions.

Well said. There is always something going on at the breakdown that is bending the laws, and part of rugby is to play to the referee. Everyone admits that the best opensides in the game push the laws to their limits, McCaw get's accused of cheating every other game, Pockoc and Brussow do exactly the same when they can, I'm glad we've finally got someone who is able to do the exact same thing. Just for everyones information, the last penalty SA gave away, when Hougard was pinged for not placing the ball, it was George North who didn't release him, not Warburton. I think Warburton is usally excellent at releasing the player before competing, or getting to the breakdown just as the tackle is completed so the attacking player doesn't get a chance to place the ball which is still inside the laws.

Either way, we could sit and nit pick the refs performance for ever if we wanted to. I can understand why frustrated Welsh posters have come on here and had a moan, but what is the reason for SA posters to moan? You won a game that you were outclassed and outplayed in for 70 odd minutes, be happy. Most Welsh posters have calmed down and accepted the loss, and are blaming ourselves, SA posters should accept the win and hope for a much improved performances for the rest of the tournament, because you won't be getting far unless there's a big improvement, which I fully expect tbh.

Pfft, Barnes is a good referee, anyone who says otherwise is a Kiwi :p

I am a kiwi....
He is bad very bad, I don't even have to know he's refereeing to know it's him, you can just tell, by the number of unseen forward passes that occur through his poor positioning, I mean sure every ref misses the odd one and I could probably have forgiven him for the france incident, but that final Aussie NZ tri-nations game, in the way twice of the NZ def, missed two forwards passes, combined with his failing to video ref that drop kick, it's just ridiculous. Consistently the worst international referee imo.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10469541 a nice list of all his short comings in the french game

Here we go... A gift to Bokke91

Last edited by a moderator:
I was for Wales and really think that Welsh guys played more beautiful game than Champs

Pity for Wales

But if they keep playing like this, their success will be seen on this RWC

Now that the storm has calmed! Only a game against the Welsh would produce a 60 page thread!
It seems that Tests between us two are getting more and more bitter ;)

Onto the game...
The Springboks were lucky to get this win, very lucky. We couldn't of been in more of a hurry to get that ball off the park. If it wasn't for the impact the players off the bench we probably would of lost. So Wales you deserve ALOT of credit, you guys played a hell of a game. I've never seen a Welsh pack compete so aggressively and abrasively ever. Although dominance swayed periodically, the Welsh pack were all over us for the most. Once again I think our physicality helped keep the Welsh from scoring more tries.
Warburton had a fantastic game. Does he play at that kind of level often, because if so we have an up-and-coming star, but I think that star has already arrived. He's captain for a reason. Leading from the front is the kind of captain I wish we had... You only ever seem to see Smit when he's giving the guys a pep talk, otherwise he's pretty much anonymous.
Anyway I'm very impressed with Wales brought to this game. Luckily for us we have the luck of the Irish and the timing of a Rocky comeback fight. We seem to sneak a win in these kind of games with experience, luck, and a dash of individual brilliance. Must be gut wrenching to be on the other end of that. If your coach wasn't such an arrogant, wingding prick I would back you guys more! But I guess the feelings mutual with regards to our coaches!

The whole Hook penalty debate is sooooo blown out of proportion and is a bit distasteful. It was a non-factor really. Do you really want ***-for-tat battles? Are you prepared to look at what you got away with? The pass to your guys No.8 for his try was forward. Has anybody mentioned that? I'm sure Gatland didn't see a thing!

The whole Hook penalty debate is sooooo blown out of proportion and is a bit distasteful. It was a non-factor really. Do you really want ***-for-tat battles? Are you prepared to look at what you got away with? The pass to your guys No.8 for his try was forward. Has anybody mentioned that? I'm sure Gatland didn't see a thing!

If you want to drag *** for tat in, I can equally help you in stuff Barnes missed. But I'm sure we don't really want to go there.

So why are you? Lets just leave it... Barnes was awful, we both had things going for us and going against us. It's just the way it is. The upside of all this is that Wales can easily make the quarter finals if they continue playing the way they did Sunday. Just be happy you guys ended within 1 point... There's a big difference between this and the matches you guys played in France 4 years ago.

If you want to drag *** for tat in, I can equally help you in stuff Barnes missed. But I'm sure we don't really want to go there.

Yeah I wanted to, but when I started typing about Welsh players not releasing the tackler before trying to steal the ball, I got an error message saying 'You may not use more than 20 billion words'. So weird!!!!!

HaHa. Seriously though, as everyone has said, both teams had good and bad calls for and against them. It's like that in almost all games.... or at least, ones not involving New Zealand!

My troll skills are really improving these days. :cool:

It was a great game for a neutral to watch, despite the controversial decisions ... it was a great indication of the ferocity and how closely fought these matches are going to be.

Hard luck Wales, but all the best to both teams in the future matches

So why are you? Lets just leave it... Barnes was awful, we both had things going for us and going against us. It's just the way it is. The upside of all this is that Wales can easily make the quarter finals if they continue playing the way they did Sunday. Just be happy you guys ended within 1 point... There's a big difference between this and the matches you guys played in France 4 years ago.

Has this got anything to do with you ... no. So don't butt in. Also I didn't go there and you are trying to make something into issue when it's not being mentioned.

Just to point out that Steve-o mentioned it last in his post (so highlighting the fact in me eyes) so thought id make the point that Barnes missed things both ways. Just to highlight the fact that Barnes was dire both ways. Sooner some realise this the better.

I didn't say anything that offended you so don't go on about it. You point out that Barnes made mistakes both ways, which is what Steve already mentioned so why go on about it? No need to do so.

Wales could have won this match and that on it's on is a great achievement already, especially considering this was on neutral grounds. I love to see Wales make it out of the group stages and play the Boks again in the final. How amazing would that be? My 2 fav. countries in the RWC final :D

Last edited:
It's a pleasure... There's a lot more on my Youtube channel so just have a look. Enjoy the Ludik brilliance of last week ;)

My troll skills are really improving these days. :cool:

Everybody knows us South Africans are the best at trolling, we're the best at everything after all.

[Troll]
[Bait]

Wales only played well because SA had a crappy team and the ref was on their side. Totally.

[/Troll]
[/Bait]

Just jesting folks, Wales played exceptionally well.

A wee question...

Why the hell were Wales trying to retain the ball by keeping it tight at round about the 61st minute, looked like they were trying to wind the clock down?

Was a little reminescent of the All Blacks - France quaterfinal, dominant team adopting tactics that screamed "Please turn-over the ball and counter-attack"

A wee question...

Why the hell were Wales trying to retain the ball by keeping it tight at round about the 61st minute, looked like they were trying to wind the clock down?

Was a little reminescent of the All Blacks - France quaterfinal, dominant team adopting tactics that screamed "Please turn-over the ball and counter-attack"

I was asking myself the exact same thing.

Latest posts