• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 SF1] Argentina vs New Zealand (20/10/2023)

"I need to get something off my chest that's been weighing heavily for a few years now. You see, I feel partly responsible the lads loss in 2019.
I might have said on this forum that i didn't see the boys getting out of the group. I totally blew it. My bad.
All i can do now is apologize and say it won't happen again. Help me spread the word across the country.
If you can dream it, you can achieve it.
And if you don't, well, then you won't."

All-the-fvcking-way.
Bring it.
That you?

Yeah but nobody gives a flying fudge about the bronze final, I don't know why it exists.
Totally agree. And I'm sure the players find it a bit anticlimactic as well having lost out at SFs. 3rd & 4th playoff is only for seeding purposes for the next RWC - they can easily just use this RWC's seeding of the losing SF teams and do away with this meaningless match.

Anyone know the rationale for Gardner getting a semi gig despite not being selected for a quarter?

I know Jaco is injured but I'd have thought Barnes would go around again for the non-Eng semi if it was purely merit based. Not that I'm unhappy with Angus, just rationale escapes me.

Anyone know the rationale for Gardner getting a semi gig despite not being selected for a quarter?

I know Jaco is injured but I'd have thought Barnes would go around again for the non-Eng semi if it was purely merit based. Not that I'm unhappy with Angus, just rationale escapes me.
World rugby hates rugby

Edit: sorry for the joke answer. In truth, world rugby felt the need for tier 2 representation in the knockout stage.

I have been thinking about it, and there's several scenarios in which we come up on top:

1. all of the ABs wifes file for divorce 2h before the game.
sorry...you dont think 23 newly single blokes would be looking for a reason to get out on the town celebrating? ;)

My All Blacks selection v Argentina:

1. Ethan de Groot (19)
2. Codie Taylor (82)
3. Tyrel Lomax (29)
4. Brodie Retallick (106)
5. Scott Barrett (66)
6. Shannon Frizell (30)
7. Sam Cane (c) (92)
8. Ardie Savea (78)
9. Aaron Smith (122)
10. Richie Mo'unga (53)
11. Mark Telea
12. Jordie Barrett (54)
13. Rieko Ioane (66)
14. Will Jordan (28)
15. Beauden Barrett (120)
16. Dane Coles (89)
17. Tamaiti Williams (5)
18. Fletcher Newell (11)
19. Samuel Whitelock (150)
20. Dalton Papali'i (29)
21. Finlay Christie (19)
22. Damian McKenzie (45)
23. Anton Lienert-Brown (67)

I wouldn't have Roigard on the bench - he was terrible against Uruguay. I thought about resting Ardie and bringing in Blackadder, but this is the business-end and we want the team to continue gelling as a unit. Leicester's physicality gives us the luxury of another loosie but doesn't make up for his lack of pure speed against the Puma fliers.

Argentina would have to play out of their skins for this one. Hopefully Cheika has a trick or two up his sleeve. He guided Australia to a World Cup Final, maybe he can do the same with Argentina. I would be so happy.

Glad Foster didn't try to be too cute with the selections. Tauke'iaho needs game time so will probably check in after 50 minutes.

Interesting that apart from bringing back Telea he's swapped out the veterans Whitelock for Retallick. Giving Brodie, who I thought had a massive game v Ire, a breather and sharing the duties to save them for the final, if they get there.

And also Taukei'aho back for Coles.
Yes, I thought Scott Barrett had an equally big game though and given his workload to date, could've done with a bench spell himself. He's featured in all games so far, including going 80 in the 3 big ones. For his sake I hope there's an opportunity to spell him early.

Good to see Telea back though.

NZ will definitely start fast. Argentina will have to look out for that. Turning the All Blacks around might be a good option.

It's at 1900 which makes it 0600-NZT which is bit too early for Irish whiskey - maybe Irish coffees🥃
It's at 20.00 Paris time

Coverage might start at 6, but kickoff is at 7am.

Guinness is a breakfast food group, just like cake.

Why is this game on a Friday? You know when everyone in Argentina are still working...
Because nobody ever foresaw Argentina making it that far?

The schedule is worked out years in advance. 3pm on a Friday isn't like 4am on a Monday, which many games have been, for us.

I'm sure WR didn't do it to annoy you.

Latest posts