• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

This is a team specifically picked to beat Australia. Eddie has a game plan that involves never getting caught behind the gain line as that brings pooper into play. Burrell and Yarde are better at this than Nowell as they are bigger and quicker than the alternatives. They also provide genuine decoys. This is also combined with plenty of carriers in the current pack. Australia don't know who England are going to pick in any given move. Also if a move isn't working they have more get out of jail cards that can stay on their feet longer to allow the back row to come into play. There are also a raft of good carriers to come off the bench to keep that intensity going.

Our back row is really good at clearing front foot rucks, Haskell especially but is too tall to be as effective over the ball and too slow - playing too wide too early would be dangerous. To beat the Aussies at their own game isn't going to happen. This is effectively a modification of the lions tactics that worked so well, admittedly against an inferior wallaby side.

Rugby world's website had a great article on England's use of the lineout against Wales. On most moves Yarde is either a decoy or an option that is chosen. His physicality fixes defenders, creating space for others. Ben Youngs' try is the most obvious example.

Nowell's best attribute is his kick return game but the Aussies kick less than others. He also had a shocker defensively in the grand slam game - Vakatawa gave him the run around. We will miss Nowell's breakdown skills though. When/if we have a seven we might be able to have a more varied game plan which Nowell would thrive in.

I am pleased that we finally have the first coach since Woodward who understands rugby is a game of chess. With the depth of our player base, yet without nailed on world class players who can adapt to different game plans (E.g. Nonu inside centres who can play it any way you like) picking horses for courses makes sense. As long as it is not over done and any continuity is lost, this will give us an advantage.

On another matter we may finally not have to wait that long for the inside centre we have been waiting for. Harry Mallinder was absolutely first class in his U20 debut. Kicking, offloads, goal kicking, gain line breaking, wide passing, pace. He had so much time on the ball it was ridiculous. It was like Twelvetrees had been given a yard of pace and a brain transplant. Will be interesting to see if he can replicate it against Australia and the other Southern Hemisphere teams later in the tournament - Italy were very limited.

Back when Nowell and Watson were in the U20s together (2013) Nowell was always 15 while Watson was on the wing. I get that Watson's been playing more fullback than Nowell in recent times, but I think before 2019 we can expect Nowell to move to 15 for Chiefs in place of Dollman. I'd also argue that Watson is a far more natural wing, as he's faster, while Nowell is better defensively, has a better kicking game and I'd say is better under the high ball. A no brainer as to who I'd shift to fullback when Brown's phased out.

People are also saying that Nowell isn't fast enough to be an international back three, but I think that's unfair. Le Roux and Kearney (In his prime) have both been excellent in international rugby and neither of them are particularly pacey. AAC too, never been too physically impressive, yet he has 100+ caps for Aus. I can see Nowell being England's AAC, able to cover 13, wing or fullback and performing exceptionally wherever you put him. Nowell's only 23, he still has lots of time to improve and also to move to 15. I see many England caps and many great performances from him in an England shirt in the future.

Add Ben Smith to that list. World's best fullback yet not especially quick. Just so intelligent in his decision making.

George has only just come back from injury, started 1 game against Worcester and sub in the 2 finals and prem semi so maybe he doesn't think he's had enough game time.

Australia could struggle if they get an early injury in the backs, they have gone for a 6-2 split on the bench, although their backs do seem very versatile.

1. Vunipola
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. Robshaw
7. Haskell
8. Vunipola
9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. Yarde
12. Burrell
13. JJ
14. Watson
15. Brown

16. LCD
17. Mullan
18. Hill
19. Lawes
20. Launchbury
21. Care
22. Ford
23. Nowell

No back row subs is ridiculous, as is Ford over Slade on the bench. Dropping Nowell to bench and dropping Daly completely is a bad call IMO.

You look at the two sides and immediately come to the conclusion that this is going to be a 'big bash' of rugby union.

Looking at Englands' bench, I think that there is scope for Itoje to be moved to 6 during the game if it warrants it, with Launch and Lawes there, and the only cover for i/centre is bring on Ford and move Farrell to 12, and o/centre is Nowell.

Jones and Ella obviously have a plan to combat the Aussies, I just hope they have the players to carry out that plan.

I'm still far from convinced that Mako V should be in the starting XV as his scrummaging doesn't seem to be up there for an international prop. However, Eddie thinks otherwise so I guess we'll see.
And two second rows on the bench is a bit odd, and Youngs at scrum half and no out and out openside. I'm not exactly full of confidence that the win that Eddie wants will happen :(

1. Vunipola
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. Robshaw
7. Haskell
8. Vunipola
9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. Yarde
12. Burrell
13. JJ
14. Watson
15. Brown

16. LCD
17. Mullan
18. Hill
19. Lawes
20. Launchbury
21. Care
22. Ford
23. Nowell

No back row subs is ridiculous, as is Ford over Slade on the bench. Dropping Nowell to bench and dropping Daly completely is a bad call IMO.

Considering in that team: Itoje can play six, Launchbury and Lawes can play six in an emergency, Billy V can play six, Robshaw can play seven, Haskell can play six and eight, I think there's enough cover. You might not like it, and I'd rather have Clifford on the bench than Lawes, but the back row isn't an issue, especially as all of the players there are accustomed to playing the full 80.

Ford over Slade is fair as well in my opinion, dropping Ford completely would be a great way to destroy his confidence. Slade would be the experiment too- he's got what, two caps and a couple of uncapped fixtures against the Baa Baas, Ford is the safe bet.

When was the last time Slade played at fly-half for a significant amount of time? Fair enough dropping Ford to the bench but from the side without an out and out 10 for cover is utter madness if Farrell breaks his leg in the opening minute. Slade hasn't ever played there at international level and has a handful of caps.

1. Vunipola
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. Robshaw
7. Haskell
8. Vunipola
9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. Yarde
12. Burrell
13. JJ
14. Watson
15. Brown

16. LCD
17. Mullan
18. Hill
19. Lawes
20. Launchbury
21. Care
22. Ford
23. Nowell

Robshaw and Haskell have played at 8 before

Itoje will prob cover 6 and 7, Kruis and Lawes cover 6.

Expect Eddie is planning a finishing pack of
1) Mullan, 2) Hartley, 3) Hill/Cole
4) Launchbury, 5) Lawes
6) Itoje, 7) Haskell, 8) Vunipola

Ford over Slade is not ridiculous at all.

Faz covers 12, Nowell covers 13,wing and Full back.

Well, we all know that we can ignore what the papers say in test week now...

I feel very nervous about Burrell and, do some extent, Yarde starting.

But there is no Goode, so that works.

Not happy with the flankers, Yarde or Mako, but all inevitable really.
Wait until Saturday to see what happens!

Looks to me like we are going to try and take the brute force route. Heavy carries in the contact to combat Pooper forcing them into the Back foot or allowing the career to stay on his feet long enough to get help. Yard better have a spectacular game because dropping Nowell is tough break after all he has done. Forwards are pretty much what you'd expect. I understand frustrations that we have no back row replacements but TBH do we really have anyone that can really compete? So maybe hard and heavy is the way to go. I guess time will tell.

First time we've had an 'A' and a 'B' in a while. Discuss:

1. Vunipola - Alec Hepburn
2. Hartley - Tommy Talor
3. Cole - Kieran Brookes
4. Itoje - Dave Attwood
5. Kruis - Charlie Ewels
6. Robshaw - Don Armand
7. Haskell - Matt Kvesic
8. Vunipola - Sam Jones
9. Youngs - Dan Robson
10. Farrell - Danny Cipriani
11. Yarde - Semesa Rokoduguni
12. Burrell - Ollie Devoto
13. JJ - Nick Tompkins
14. Watson - Alex Lewington
15. Brown - Mike Haley

16. LCD - George McGuigan
17. Mullan - Ross Harrison
18. Hill - Jake Cooper-Wooley
19. Lawes - Mitch Lees
20. Launchbury - Dave Ewers
21. Care - Micky Young
22. Ford - Sam James
23. Nowell - Christian Wade

Gotta be said, the Saxons have more on form players than the EPS does.
Obviously experience and partnerships count for a lot in international rugby, but take away that and look solely at form and I think the Saxons could push the EPS close, if not win.
Think they have the edge at the breakdown, in the halfbacks and in the back 3.

Funny how the three units you name are those with starting Sale players on the pitch :lol:

I'd back the A team pretty handily as it has the big quality, but if you swapped Vunipola, Itoje and Joseph, I would reconsider.

Quickly brainstormed an England team of those not involved at all - Waller, Youngs, Thomas, Slater, Kitchener, Croft/Wood/Gibson, Fraser, Morgan, Chudley, Burns, Addison, Eastmond, Twelvetrees, Sharples, Pennell. bench: Haywood, Auterac, Collier, Savage, Croft/Wood/Gibson, Cook, Myler, Miller

There's a lot of full internationals there, most of whom would probably do a 6N job at least if called upon again. I don't feel much closer to a World Cup, but the ability to win 6Ns shouldn't be much affected by injuries.

EPS would walk it.

Swap Robson and Cips in for Youngs and Farrell and that would be a very very good side.

Funny how the three units you name are those with starting Sale players on the pitch :lol:
Mike Haley is the only starting Sale player
*spits on floor*

It's weird how the team lists (that I saw, anyway) has Cips and TT as Wasps but Devoto still as a Bath player.

Mike Haley is the only starting Sale player
*spits on floor*

It's weird how the team lists (that I saw, anyway) has Cips and TT as Wasps but Devoto still as a Bath player.

In the orginal squad announcement Devoto was listed as Exeter, Genge as Leicester, Taylor as Wasps, Cips as Wasps.

McGuigan was announced as Newcastle though.

I'd back the A team pretty handily as it has the big quality, but if you swapped Vunipola, Itoje and Joseph, I would reconsider.

Quickly brainstormed an England team of those not involved at all - Waller, Youngs, Thomas, Slater, Kitchener, Croft/Wood/Gibson, Fraser, Morgan, Chudley, Burns, Addison, Eastmond, Twelvetrees, Sharples, Pennell. bench: Haywood, Auterac, Collier, Savage, Croft/Wood/Gibson, Cook, Myler, Miller

There's a lot of full internationals there, most of whom would probably do a 6N job at least if called upon again. I don't feel much closer to a World Cup, but the ability to win 6Ns shouldn't be much affected by injuries.

My 3rd team would be (if classing injures as well)
1) Waller
2) Youngs
3) Thomas
4) Kitchner
5) Slater
6) Williams
7) Fraser
8) Beaumont
9) Harrison (I rate him more than the Chiefs 9's)
10) Burns
11) Addison
12) Eastmond
13) Manu
14) May
15) Pennell

16) Heywood, 17) Auterac, 18) Collier, 20) Barrow, 21) Morgan, 22) Chudley, 23) Foden
That is actually pretty good team

Last edited:
In the orginal squad announcement Devoto was listed as Exeter, Genge as Leicester, Taylor as Wasps, Cips as Wasps.

McGuigan was announced as Newcastle though.

My 3rd team would be (if classing injures as well)
1) Waller
2) Youngs
3) Thomas
4) Kitchner
5) Slater
6) Williams
7) Fraser
8) Beaumont
9) Harrison (I rate him more than the Chiefs 9's)
10) Burns
11) Addison
12) Eastmond
13) Manu
14) May
15) Pennell

16) Heywood, 17) Auterac, 18) Collier, 20) Barrow, 21) Morgan, 22) Chudley, 23) Foden
That is actually pretty good team

Tigs, surely you aren't on about our very own Sam Harrison?! you must be mad!

Latest posts