16. LCD - George McGuigan
17. Mullan - Ross Harrison
18. Hill - Jake Cooper-Wooley
19. Lawes - Mitch Lees
20. Launchbury - Dave Ewers
21. Care - Micky Young
22. Ford - Sam James
23. Nowell - Christian Wade

Gotta be said, the Saxons have more on form players than the EPS does.
Obviously experience and partnerships count for a lot in international rugby, but take away that and look solely at form and I think the Saxons could push the EPS close, if not win.
Think they have the edge at the breakdown, in the halfbacks and in the back 3.

I'd swap 7 and 11 in a heartbeat, would be happy with 9 as well - in terms of building, not best man for the job today. Take out goalkicking and I'll include 10 as well.

I'd swap 7 and 11 in a heartbeat, would be happy with 9 as well - in terms of building, not best man for the job today. Take out goalkicking and I'll include 10 as well.

Would you swap Hask now?

Would like to see next weekend:
Same starting pack
9) Youngs
10) Ford
11) Nowell
12) Faz
13) JJ
14) Watson
15) Brown

16) George
17) Mullan
18) Hill
19) Launchbury (I don't know what Lawes brings TBH)
20) Clifford/Harrison
21) Care
22) Daly
23) Yarde

Ideal world a win next wekend and a 3rd test team of
1) Vunipola
2) Hartley
3) Cole
4) Launchbury
5) Itoje
6) Robshaw
7) Haskell
8) Vunipola
9) Youngs
10) Ford
11) Yarde
12) Farrell
13) JJ
14) Nowell
15) Watson

16) George
17) Genge
18) Hill
19) Kruis
20) Clifford
21) Care
22) Daly
23) T'eo

But can see an aussie backlash next weekend.

I'd swap him, he's had his one good game a window, lets get rid before he has his stinker :lol:

If Australia fine tune their set piece a little and manage not to give away 7 kicks at goal, we don't win that game. Defence was a real issue and I think the need for a faster back row is still there.

As for Lawes - replacement lineout runner, great counter-mauler, big engine and a very reliable defender with the odd POWAH moment here and there. Fourth out of four at the moment but he brings a hell of a lot.

Agree in your next weekend team

Ideal 3rd test team (If we win next weekend):

1. Mako
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Itoje
5. Launchbury
6. Harrison
7. Haskell
8. Clifford (We know what Vunipola can do. Today he was quiet, his fitness isn't good enough vs SH. If the series is won, give Clifford a shot)
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Yarde
12. Faz
13. JJ
14. Watson
15. Nowell (I just think he's better suited to 15 than Watson. If it's 14. Nowell 15. Watson I'm not too bothered, but I'd prefer this)

16. George
17. Genge (More impact off the bench than Mullan)
18. Hill
19. Lawes (We know what Kruis can do, I want to see a bit more of Lawrs vs SH)
20. Vunipola
21. Care
22. Slade (Deserves a run out in international rugby)
23. Daly

I'd want Mullan starting ahead of Vunipola after that tbh. I guess you give Mako a game to change it round, but he didn't look good.

Billy didn't look unfit to me, just the Australians could handle him.

I'd want Mullan starting ahead of Vunipola after that tbh. I guess you give Mako a game to change it round, but he didn't look good.

Billy didn't look unfit to me, just the Australians could handle him.

I think the fact that the Aussies could handle him hints at a lack of fitness as it meant he couldn't carry as hard or as often as he likes to. I know he's upped his work rate a lot recently, and if he carries on his upward curve then he will be world class, but at the moment you just have to look at him to see he's not fit enough to be an international back rower.

I think the fact that the Aussies could handle him hints at a lack of fitness as it meant he couldn't carry as hard or as often as he likes to. I know he's upped his work rate a lot recently, and if he carries on his upward curve then he will be world class, but at the moment you just have to look at him to see he's not fit enough to be an international back rower.

Billy suffered from being the only ball carrier in the pack v a very good aggressive mobile Aussie backrow.

As for Lawes - replacement lineout runner, great counter-mauler, big engine and a very reliable defender with the odd POWAH moment here and there. Fourth out of four at the moment but he brings a hell of a lot.

I don't know i just want more of a ball carrier on the bench to come on. Harrison prob more gets it for me as he is more physical than Clifford.
And Lawes isn't a ball carrier, and isn't as good as Launchbury.

Pocock out for the rest of the series. As an England supporter I'm thrilled, but as a rugby player I'm gutted for him.

Finally watched the game. Very frustrating experience as a Wallabies supporter - thought we played well, but looked very rusty at times whilst England looked a lot better drilled. That's understandable given how much more England have played together and that this is the Wallabies first match, but it was irritating nontheless.

Other than that, the penalties drove me absolutely mad - particularly given how absolutely pedantic so many of them were and talking to my League following mates (I literally know one guy who follows Union - everyone else just watches League) they all just bagged the game as an example of why they'd never support the code.

Yep, I would say awful luck... but it's not really about that... it's just a likely outcome when you have the balls to put your face in the places he does.

Finally watched the game. Very frustrating experience as a Wallabies supporter - thought we played well, but looked very rusty at times whilst England looked a lot better drilled. That's understandable given how much more England have played together and that this is the Wallabies first match, but it was irritating nontheless.

Other than that, the penalties drove me absolutely mad - particularly given how absolutely pedantic so many of them were and talking to my League following mates (I literally know one guy who follows Union - everyone else just watches League) they all just bagged the game as an example of why they'd never support the code.

There wouldn't have been so many penalties if Australia didn't try desperately to cheat. They ruined the free flowing game really.

Btw why have friends who are league supporters, just why!! (That is a joke btw)

Surely Brown will be dropped for the 2nd test? If so who can replace him? Watson to 15, Nowell to wing?

Surely Brown will be dropped for the 2nd test? If so who can replace him? Watson to 15, Nowell to wing?

Nope. It would take a much worse performance than yesterdays for Jones to drop Brown and move Watson out of position. And honestly, I agree with that decision. The team won yesterday, why change a winning formula by moving Watson to 15, where he's never started at for England (I think the only time he's played there was in the 2015 6 Nations against Italy when Brown was injured). Phasing out Brown has to happen, but not this series.

Nope. It would take a much worse performance than yesterdays for Jones to drop Brown and move Watson out of position. And honestly, I agree with that decision. The team won yesterday, why change a winning formula by moving Watson to 15, where he's never started at for England (I think the only time he's played there was in the 2015 6 Nations against Italy when Brown was injured). Phasing out Brown has to happen, but not this series.

Yeah good point.

There wouldn't have been so many penalties if Australia didn't try desperately to cheat. They ruined the free flowing game really.

Btw why have friends who are league supporters, just why!! (That is a joke btw)

Joke or not, us union fans are a dying species out here. The game scored a little over half the ratings of your average Friday night AFL or NRL CLUB match here and they couldn't even sell it out with a crowd that appeared about 50% English.

Cheik is doing his best, but the game is in serious trouble here.

Joke or not, us union fans are a dying species out here. The game scored a little over half the ratings of your average Friday night AFL or NRL CLUB match here and they couldn't even sell it out with a crowd that appeared about 50% English.

Cheik is doing his best, but the game is in serious trouble here.

It's upsetting when you think that rugby Union is rapidly declining in 2 of the greatest rugby nations (Aus and SA). Makes you wonder what the future holds for the sport.

It's upsetting when you think that rugby Union is rapidly declining in 2 of the greatest rugby nations (Aus and SA). Makes you wonder what the future holds for the sport.

It's incredibly frustrating really - a series against the English should be massive here, but the coverage has been terrible... Timing wise it's a bit unfortunate, as it's occuring right in the middle of State of Origin, but all the same last night's game was actually a good quality game and you'd think losing game 1 to England would fire everyone up, but for whatever reason the fire just isn't there like it would be say in the Ashes.

Second test IMO:

1. Mako
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Itoje
6. Robshaw
7. *cough*Haskell
8. Vunipola
9. Youngs
10. Ford
12. Farrell
13. Joseph
14. Yarde
11/15. Watson/Nowell

16. George
17. Mullan
18. Hill
19. Kruis
20. Clifford
21. Care
22. Te'o
23. Brown

I think giving both Launchbury and Kruis one game alongside Itoje is a good idea, best performer winning a place in the third test. Also would be happy with Launchbury at 6. (Not Itoje, I don't want Itoje doing anything different to what he currently is.)

Ford-Farrell is the safe option, and perhaps our best atm, as much as that is hard to admit. Te'o to come on at 12 mid-late in the game, or earlier if things aren't working, to make a case for the third test.

Still don't agree with Haskell, one swallow n all. But he's earned the right to another game.

LCD's throwing is still bad. Always should have been George on the bench.

Nowell or Watson at fullback? I'd edge Nowell, but happy with either tbh. Brown has to be on the bench if it goes wrong.

Last edited:

Latest posts